Author Topic: Turbo Zone Direct's BOGO Sale  (Read 691 times)

nat

Re: Turbo Zone Direct's BOGO Sale
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2007, 12:29:32 PM »
They probably didn't

But they did. That blurb is brand f*ckin' new.

It's more likely they probably set those units aside before hand with this summer sale in mind.

There wasn't a mention of TurboExpress units to be found on their website when I placed my order with them a week ago (and I looked).

offsidewing

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2007, 01:21:18 PM »
I think it's about time to get up in some TZD goodness...

turbofan1

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2007, 02:01:47 PM »
I had A question about Forgotten Worlds.I noticed that pc engine version came with the three button ave pad.And obviously the turbo pad only had two.Was there any difference between the two as far as the game play?.

nat

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2007, 02:14:27 PM »
Yeah, that's a minor peeve I have about the USA release.

The JApanese version has an option in the menu to toggle the use of a 3-button pad (if you have one).

They apparently went out of their way to remove this option from the USA region version. Probably because 3-button pads weren't "officially" released in the USA, but I think it was a stupid move, considering there was/is nothing stopping anyone from using a Japanese 3-button pad on a US system.

So playing the US version, the "RUN" button becomes a rotation control. If you are using a basic two-button TurboPad, this is a real f*cking akward pain.

I always play the game with my TurboStick, which has the "RUN" button located right above button I. This actually works out perfectly since "RUN" rotates up from your normal stance and button I rotates down (button II fires). You won't hear much praise for the TurboStick on these forums, but I love it, and this game is a perfect example of a good use for it.

Turbo D

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2007, 06:04:08 PM »
They probably didn't

But they did. That blurb is brand f*ckin' new.

It's more likely they probably set those units aside before hand with this summer sale in mind.

There wasn't a mention of TurboExpress units to be found on their website when I placed my order with them a week ago (and I looked).

I noticed that the ones that they have for sale now aren't advertised with the replaced capacitors.

jimid2

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2007, 01:41:58 AM »
Ditto... Just before I ordered a "dead sound" one and fixed it myself, I checked TZD and they had nothing on the site... Kind of disappointing because I would have gladly bought one with all capicitors replaced from them; I only got two of mine replaced before giving up in shakey fear, so I do have sound, but it's not terribly loud - good enough for at home, but I'd never hear it on the bus, for example...

In truth, if I knew these ones came with the replaced capacitors, I'd be sorely tempted to buy one now anyway and squirrel it away for posterity...  :wink:

guyjin

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2007, 02:28:47 AM »
I also like the turbostick. But it's not for every game.
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

PhilBiker

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2007, 02:40:40 AM »
I have not played my turbo in awhile, most likely because I have not gotten any new games for it lately.  So, I've decided that I should buy 2 new games with this BOGO sale for TZD.  There are three games I have in mind: Forgotten Worlds, Prince of Persia, and Riot Zone (I pretty much have all the other games of their list except for Sim Earth and Sherlock Homes.  I'm not really interested in those though).  I have never played any of these games.  Out of these 3 games, which 2 should I buy?  I heard a lot of bad things about Prince of Persia, so right now I am thinking of buying Riot Zone and Forgotten Worlds.  Any input?  OR maybe all three are worth buying??
Riot Zone is ludicrously easy and not very fun.  It has cool music and the sounds are interesting for about 10 minutes.  Prince of Persia is a good port of that game if you may like that game.  I don't really much.  Forgotten Worlds is a fun shmup.  If you like Sidearms you'll love FW.  Of the three, FW is by far the best.
Wonk-wonk-wonk.  Where are your true friends at times like this?  Right here!  Wonk-wonk-wonk.

kenomac78

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2007, 03:15:42 AM »
wasnt TZD counting down the number of turbo expresses they had and were screaming how they would be gone forever once they are gone??

i wonder if they would ever dig up some other games that were 'found'

nat

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2007, 03:58:43 AM »
wasnt TZD counting down the number of turbo expresses they had and were screaming how they would be gone forever once they are gone??

i wonder if they would ever dig up some other games that were 'found'

It's already happened, but they're only making them available a few at a time.

I bought Blazing Lazers from them brand new earlier this year. (At the time they did all the A-B titles.) I already owned the game, but I though, hey, why not buy a brand new copy just for fun? They had Beyond Shadowgate up at the time too... Wonder who got that one?

I'm still on the edge of my seat for them to do the C-D titles.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2007, 04:46:00 AM »
Thanks for the heads up nat.  I'll have to check in at their site a little more often and see if I can catch any new deals.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

nat

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2007, 05:06:05 AM »
Watch carefully-- when they did the A-B titles they didn't bother to add them to the actual "Price List" page.

They had them listed on the main page (www.tzd.com) instead in that spot where they usually have a blurb of some kind.

It's been a couple months so I'd expect to see the C-D titles up any time now, but perhaps now they'll wait until after this "summer sale".

Black Tiger

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2007, 08:27:46 AM »
Yeah, that's a minor peeve I have about the USA release.

The JApanese version has an option in the menu to toggle the use of a 3-button pad (if you have one).

They apparently went out of their way to remove this option from the USA region version. Probably because 3-button pads weren't "officially" released in the USA, but I think it was a stupid move, considering there was/is nothing stopping anyone from using a Japanese 3-button pad on a US system.

So playing the US version, the "RUN" button becomes a rotation control. If you are using a basic two-button TurboPad, this is a real f*cking akward pain.

I always play the game with my TurboStick, which has the "RUN" button located right above button I. This actually works out perfectly since "RUN" rotates up from your normal stance and button I rotates down (button II fires). You won't hear much praise for the TurboStick on these forums, but I love it, and this game is a perfect example of a good use for it.

The 'III' Button is just a duplicate Select or Run or something. If you played the Turbo FW with the Ave 3 Pad it'd probably work just the same as the PCE version.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2007, 09:11:12 AM »
Ditto... Just before I ordered a "dead sound" one and fixed it myself, I checked TZD and they had nothing on the site... Kind of disappointing because I would have gladly bought one with all capicitors replaced from them; I only got two of mine replaced before giving up in shakey fear, so I do have sound, but it's not terribly loud - good enough for at home, but I'd never hear it on the bus, for example...

In truth, if I knew these ones came with the replaced capacitors, I'd be sorely tempted to buy one now anyway and squirrel it away for posterity...  :wink:

Temptation is a tool of the devil.... and TZD apparently.  There description on the main page says they've replaced all caps on six TEs, so get your wallet open.  Resistance is futile.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Turbo D

« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2007, 09:53:34 AM »
The 'III' Button is just a duplicate Select or Run or something. If you played the Turbo FW with the Ave 3 Pad it'd probably work just the same as the PCE version.

He is right! The extra button on the avenue 3 can be set to either start or select, so it would be the same and probably is.