Author Topic: Arghhhh, stupid E-bay....  (Read 672 times)

SNKNostalgia

Arghhhh, stupid E-bay....
« on: June 24, 2007, 11:50:59 AM »
Every single time I try to win anything turbo related on E-bay, some rich bastard that much rather win an auction than lose pays around 2 times more than what it goes for. They beat my ass everytime. I have been trying to get some specific turbo chips that arn't worth anymore than $10 each and they sell for like $20 each in a damn bundle pack. So one of the auction's end at like $50 for like 3 games or something. These guys are paying Bullseye-games or Sherif-frog powerseller prices for these games. I think they are major contributors for such a jack up on games now. None of these games I try to buy are rare. You see them sell every week. Sorry, this is just really getting me pissed.

FM-77

Re: Arghhhh, stupid E-bay....
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2007, 12:02:40 PM »
Since some dood is paying that much all the time, I suppose the price has increased for that particular game. Pay the 20 dollars.

Turbo D

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2007, 12:52:50 PM »
I feel your pain man, I'm always losing auctions to rich people  :x

runinruder

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2007, 01:39:28 PM »
Buy the Japanese versions instead.  There are plenty of good places on the net where you can buy PC Engine games without having to "bid" against anyone else, and the JP games are often cheaper than the US versions. 
www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

SNKNostalgia

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2007, 01:59:13 PM »
Any sites with good selections on PCE titles? Good timming on my part. I just now sent off my US Duo to grahf for the S-video and region mod.

TR0N

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2007, 03:02:06 PM »
Buy the Japanese versions instead.  There are plenty of good places on the net where you can buy PC Engine games without having to "bid" against anyone else, and the JP games are often cheaper than the US versions. 

Agreed that's the best thing you can do there SNKNostalgia.

Or if you want those u.s games still just bid for the common titles.

Beside any thing like Bonk III,Magicial Chase and Dynastic Hero is gonna cost ya alot.

About the only other thing i can recomend is to bid snipe, wich has work for me any time i wanna avoid a bid war.

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

TR0N

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2007, 03:05:04 PM »
Any sites with good selections on PCE titles? Good timming on my part. I just now sent off my US Duo to grahf for the S-video and region mod.

http://www.japangamestock.com
http://www.mailorderjapan.com
Keep in mind for, Mailorderjapan you to have e-mail them to see if they have it or not.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 09:15:52 PM by <TRON> »

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

runinruder

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2007, 03:17:05 PM »
Yeah, JapanGameStock is one of the best sites around.  I've ordered from them a few times now, and I've never had any problems.  They offer some great prices, too. 

Matt at www.wolfgames.com is one of the most reliable guys in the business.  I've been buying stuff from him for years.   

thewestexit used to run another wonderful site for import games.  He still posts FS lists on these boards from time to time. 

And DREAM STARS JAPAN is a good eBay store with lots of PCE games.   
www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Keranu

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2007, 09:52:59 PM »
JapanGameStock is awesome, I've dealt with them a couple times and have had a great experience.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

kenomac78

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2007, 02:20:43 AM »
i agree! there are some people on ebay who keep buying up everything!  once i buy my ONE copy, that is it, i dont need to keep buying every copy of everygame ever made. considering that people like, oh i dont know,mydogsrule, just seems to want to own 10 billion games it raises the prices on the rest of us! what does this guy do for a job? did he win the lottery or something??

i wonder if we would just send emails to some of thee people begging that we are simply collectors who want to collect and just leave this aucion alone for once. would that even work?

jimid2

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2007, 05:04:00 AM »
i wonder if we would just send emails to some of thee people begging that we are simply collectors who want to collect and just leave this aucion alone for once. would that even work?

Who knows... Probably not - I suspect that a lot of these are the buyer ID for some of the big Ebay sellers....

I think that patience helps - and then there's always the strategy of buying bunches of games with HARDWARE that someone's moving, then selling off the rest. If you can pick up a TG16 with 9 games including Air Zonk for $75 - $100, then selling off the system and individual games will net you Zonk + $$$... but that's a lot of work...

SNKNostalgia

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2007, 02:18:06 PM »
That is something I have been sort of doing now. I bid on some system lot w/games sales and then will just sell off the other games and system for a low price. Unlike the other people that like to buy everything up and sell realy high, I just want some of my money back to even out the price for keeping the games I want.

Do not sell to EastCoastGamer, he is the sole reason why Dracula X for the SNES for example was impossible to obtain for the whole year of 2005. He was buying it for up to $60 even if it was loose with a rental sticker on it and then he would win a complete copy for $50. It makes no damn sense. I saw a video game powerseller that is selling Fatal Fury Real Bout Special US Neo Geo CD with a crack in the case for $99. What dumb ass, do these people really expect to sell shit like that. That game is worth no more than $35 in good condition. $40 if mint maybe.

MrFulci

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2007, 03:33:10 PM »
SNKNostalgia,

I've bid and won lots in the past. It can work out pretty well, though it takes a bit of research to see what the prices are for the items you plan to resell.

I've only purchased 2 large TG-16 lots, to keep what I want and resell the rest.  It worked out alright. One time I managed to get games and stuff for free, the other I ended up paying for the games, though it was cheaper than purchasing seperate. I didn't lsit the games with BIN's, I set them for 0.99 and let them sell for whatever they raked in.

Funny thing was, 2-3 years ago I was bidding on a TG16 lot, that had terraforming, Bonk 3 CD, and a few other hard to find CD games.. The person who jacked up my bid, towards the higher end of my max (He almost won the lot) had SNK, or Neo Geo in his ebay handle. He actually sent me an e-mail after I won the auction, with something to the effect of, "I wanted that auction, but lost. hahahahhaa, but i sure made you pay for it." This thread reminded me of that... The one and only time I received a message from someone who had been bidding on an auction i won.

Some of the folks buying multiple copies of certain titles are almost certainly buying for stores, whether on or off ebay. Sometimes it also seems as though a person is trying to protect their investment, or "corner the market".

My suggestions; bid your highest bid and "walk away" from the auction, snipe, or look for BIN. Those 3 tend to work for me. You can also set Ebay to e-mail you when something appears for sale within a set search criteria, you may snag some nice BIN that way!
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

nat

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2007, 03:40:30 PM »

My suggestions; bid your highest bid and "walk away" from the auction, snipe, or look for BIN. Those 3 tend to work for me. You can also set Ebay to e-mail you when something appears for sale within a set search criteria, you may snag some nice BIN that way!

Agreed.

The method I most commonly use is to tag an auction I'm interested in and revisit it during it's final minutes. If it hasn't reached an absurd amount, I'll snipe it during the last 30 seconds. If someone outbids me, it's fate. If I win, sweet. Before I snipe I'll pick an amount I'm not willing to go over and that'll be my bid.

Less often I'll bid my max right away and do the "walk away" thing.

Turbo D

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2007, 05:39:06 PM »
I was going to snipe an auction tonight, but I forgot when the auction was ending and failed  :x