Author Topic: Arghhhh, stupid E-bay....  (Read 668 times)

nodtveidt

Re: Arghhhh, stupid E-bay....
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2007, 12:56:45 AM »
I only ever just bid my highest bid and then walk away. I'm not about to pay a ridiculous price, some other sucker can take the fall. Although I must admit that I did one time...I paid a little over $80 for a copy of Exile and a TurboStick.

jimid2

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2007, 01:49:51 AM »
What really PO's me about Ebay is when some seller tries to stick it to me with absurd shipping charges. Case in point: I won an auction for a Turbo Extension Cable for $9.99 a couple days ago, but when I get the bill from the seller, he's tacked on $16.84 shipping! I live in Canada, not the South Pole! There's no way in Hell that it costs anything even remotely like that to ship a bit of wire to me... I can drive to Rochester NY in an hour, and it probably costs $2.50 to ship it there...

Of course, it's not entirely the sellers who are at fault right now (despite an apparent lack of common sense) - the USPS on-line estimate system is generating INSANE estimates for shipping costs to Canada. This is really whacked, because we're the United States' largest trading partner... Why the United States Postal Service thinks it's appropriate to quote $17US in shipping for a package that is the size of a toothpaste box and weighs all of 6oz. is a mystery to me...  :roll:

termis

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2007, 04:46:25 AM »
I only ever just bid my highest bid and then walk away. I'm not about to pay a ridiculous price, some other sucker can take the fall.

I do the same.  I sniped once or twice in my younger years, but now, I learned that if I really put in a "fair" amount for a maximum bid and walk away, it's highly unlikely that a sniper will take the auction away from me (In fact, it's NEVER happened to me yet).  Snipers only seem to try their hand at it if the auction is only quite below fair market value.

What really PO's me about Ebay is when some seller tries to stick it to me with absurd shipping charges. Case in point: I won an auction for a Turbo Extension Cable for $9.99 a couple days ago, but when I get the bill from the seller, he's tacked on $16.84 shipping! I live in Canada, not the South Pole!

Yeah, I friggin hate that crap too!  And I ranted about this on another thread before, but what's even worse is that those goddamn couriers charge you for "brokerage fees".  It's already a slap in the face that you have to pay these at all, but when you pay a $20 fee for a $1.50 duty on a $25 item, after you paid another $20 for shipping, you just wanna scream - ugh!

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2007, 05:12:42 AM »
What really PO's me about Ebay is when some seller tries to stick it to me with absurd shipping charges. Case in point: I won an auction for a Turbo Extension Cable for $9.99 a couple days ago, but when I get the bill from the seller, he's tacked on $16.84 shipping! I live in Canada, not the South Pole! There's no way in Hell that it costs anything even remotely like that to ship a bit of wire to me... I can drive to Rochester NY in an hour, and it probably costs $2.50 to ship it there...

Of course, it's not entirely the sellers who are at fault right now (despite an apparent lack of common sense) - the USPS on-line estimate system is generating INSANE estimates for shipping costs to Canada. This is really whacked, because we're the United States' largest trading partner... Why the United States Postal Service thinks it's appropriate to quote $17US in shipping for a package that is the size of a toothpaste box and weighs all of 6oz. is a mystery to me...  :roll:

I too hate ebay asshats with screwy S&H charges, but the USPS can be much cheaper than $17 for the package you mention.  First Class postage would be only $2.24 plus insurance and return receipt (if requested).  You could also be charged an extra $0.17 if it's 'nonmachinable', whatever the hell that means.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Black Tiger

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2007, 08:19:04 AM »
JapanGameStock is awesome, I've dealt with them a couple times and have had a great experience.

I bought Ys III Famicom from them. It sucks that they don't use PayPal and it took about a week to complete the transaction because of their slow response multi-step transaction process.

But they're a good place to look for hard to find items. Not the best place for deals on cheap stuff though.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

SNKNostalgia

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2007, 09:18:47 AM »
I too hate ebay asshats with screwy S&H charges, but the USPS can be much cheaper than $17 for the package you mention.  First Class postage would be only $2.24 plus insurance and return receipt (if requested).  You could also be charged an extra $0.17 if it's 'nonmachinable', whatever the hell that means.

See, that is why I try to buy the game lots instead of individual games. The shipping in the US Turbo games could either be $3.00 for 1 game or a stupid price like $7.00 or even $9.00 sometimes which, is beyond me. Some of these guys either are using the wrong sized boxes, wrong shipping estimates since they don't have a scale or they are trying to make an extra $3.00 or so. I had one guy charge me $12 shipping for a Neo Geo cart once and the price sticker on the box said $7.00 no insurance or anything. I was a little pissed and just let it slide since I got what I wanted and didn't want to fool with any of it. It just gets retarded when you pay like $10.00 for a game and pay $6.00 in shipping sometimes.

I am also one of those guys that if I win a complete mint copy of Ninja Gaiden 1 NES for $0.99, I will give the guy atleast $10.00. He really appreciated it. I knew he needed the money for his auctions, so I helped him out.

jimid2

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2007, 06:51:42 AM »
I am also one of those guys that if I win a complete mint copy of Ninja Gaiden 1 NES for $0.99, I will give the guy atleast $10.00. He really appreciated it. I knew he needed the money for his auctions, so I helped him out.
Ya, I'll do that... I won an original Gameboy with Tetris for $3.50 the other day - I gave the guy a 10 spot and picked the game up to save him the bother of shipping it...

kenomac78

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2007, 11:48:58 PM »
you guys are some charitale people,  i would do the same but  never won something so cheap like that before. i hope you guys are still that giving. the last turbo game i need to buy before i am done forever is up and i just hope im not sniped out  :-({|=  because i would like to finish my collecting, and continue playing  but not have to worry about anymore ebaying  :pray:

nat

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2007, 09:51:30 AM »
What game is that?

kenomac78

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2007, 11:07:16 AM »
starts with T   :-"
« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 11:41:52 AM by kenomac78 »

nat

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2007, 01:38:45 PM »
Toilet Kids?

Turbo D

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2007, 06:22:32 PM »
its terraforming

kenomac78

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2007, 06:37:51 PM »
i just cant jinx it is all, next week ill breathe and can celebrate. i hope

runinruder

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2007, 06:40:27 PM »
Watch it be TV Sports Hockey or something.   :wink:

"THANK GOODNESS I WON!  WHAT A CLOSE CALL!" 
www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

kenomac78

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2007, 04:24:09 AM »
well so much for that! what sucks is the guy offered to sell them to me outside of ebay. accepted my offer of 125 but then said no...