Author Topic: Dreamcast recommendations  (Read 1547 times)

nat

Re: Dreamcast recommendations
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2007, 04:34:46 PM »
Shooters and fighters are my two favorite genres, followed closely by RPGs.

Rez looks f*cking awesome.

I'm excited.

guyjin

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2007, 04:53:28 PM »

I was planning on getting this anyway. Can't you still play it in regular battle mode, like say, Bomberman '94?

Yep. There are tons of new and interesting battle modes, though; if you have gotten bored of bomberman, this is the one to try. As far as bomberman games go, this is second only to Saturn Bomberman.
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

Joe Redifer

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2007, 06:04:20 PM »
Quote from: SignOfZeta

Daytona 2 is RAD!!! but requires, seriously, *requires* that you have a racing wheel or the car tends to smack a wall the second you even touch the control stick.

Daytona 2?  Might want to check the title screen again.  Anyway it is perfectly playable with the standard torture controller, you just have to hold the stick UP at all times and slide it around the top to the left and the right.  Sounds weird, but it actually works quite well.  Could be better, I agree.

Quote from: SignOfZeta

Samba de Amigo (requires expensive maraca controllers)

Actually, it plays worse with the maracas than it does with the standard torture controller.  Wow, I'm sure seem to be defending that crappy controller a lot.

termis

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2007, 07:16:34 PM »
I have these knockoff HK maracas controller - it works _okay_, but still goofs often enough to really lessen the playing experience.  I hear the official ones weren't 100% accurate either -- is that true?  The arcade ones seemed to work perfectly, but I guess that's a moot point.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2007, 07:43:39 PM »
You can use the fishing controller to play Virtua Tennis "Wii style" as well as Soul Calibur "sword style".

Oh yes, I forgot, Soul Calibur is a freakin' GREAT game as well!

TR0N

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2007, 08:43:02 PM »
I'm buying a Dreamcast for the first time. Looks like a pretty awesome console and has a much bigger game library than I'd thought.

I have a question about the SEGA compilation (can't recall the name offhand)... Are the games included arcade ports/emulations or are they the Genesis versions?

There's only been two collections for the DC the, Sega Smash Pack and Sega Gameworks.

I'd avoid the sega smash pack the emulation isn't great on it, beside the sound being off on some games.

As for Sega Gameworks the emulation is good and the selection isn't bad either on it.
Pretty much it has Outrun,Space Harrier,Power Dirft,AftherBurner and HangOn is also on there.

Btw they do play like arcade pretty well to.

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Joe Redifer

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2007, 08:48:13 PM »
The Gameworks collection are emulated arcade games straight outta Shenmue... they're exactly the same except that they added Power Drift to the selection.  The sound emulation on those games isn't perfect, either (though it is far far better than the Genesis collection).  You'd never know unless you heard the real deal, but take it from me and AirRaidX, the sound/music is not arcade perfect.

TR0N

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2007, 08:51:10 PM »
The Gameworks collection are emulated arcade games straight outta Shenmue... they're exactly the same except that they added Power Drift to the selection.  The sound emulation on those games isn't perfect, either (though it is far far better than the Genesis collection).  You'd never know unless you heard the real deal, but take it from me and AirRaidX, the sound/music is not arcade perfect.
Seems the same to me my memory must be foggy  :oops:

Btw every thing AirRaidX states is not set in stone  :P

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Joe Redifer

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2007, 09:56:55 PM »
AirRaidX is the world's ambassador to arcade perfect.  He was first given that positioin by Bill Clinton and then reaffirmed by George W. Bush.  Nelson Mandela also approves, and he knows his arcades.  Anyway listen to the Dreamcast versions.  Listen to the Saturn versions.  Listen to the 32X versions.  Listen to the MAME versions.  And lastly, listen to the actual arcades.  Which one does not sound exactly like the others?  Hint:  It begins with the letter "D" and is followed by "reamcast".

SignOfZeta

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2007, 12:24:43 AM »

I was planning on getting this anyway. Can't you still play it in regular battle mode, like say, Bomberman '94?

Yep. There are tons of new and interesting battle modes, though; if you have gotten bored of bomberman, this is the one to try. As far as bomberman games go, this is second only to Saturn Bomberman.

Well, I don't know about that. None of the 3D B-Man games are very good, IM0. I would say that the B-Man game that is second to Bomberman SS (reigning champion since 1996) is Bomberman '94, and 3rd would probably be Bomberman Land 2 for Gamecube. Then maybe I'd say either B-Man '93, or possibly the GBA and DS games. 3D just wrecks B-man. I haven't played Bomberman Land for DS yet. That might actually rate pretty well.

guyjin

« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2007, 02:21:15 AM »
The sega smash pack is only good if your TV has a mute function. Seriously, the sound is that bad.
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

nat

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2007, 04:24:43 AM »
Well, it sounds like the SEGA Gameworks collection is more what I want anyway.

Is that an import or a USA release?

EDIT: Looks like an import. Worse, it looks like it's pretty rare. I couldn't find a single copy on eBay.

Anyone got one for sale? :)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 05:00:51 AM by nat »

RCduck7

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2007, 06:01:28 AM »
The dreamcast is at least in my top 3 favorite consoles.
At the time it came out it introduced me to the internet and online gaming and a sense of community through dreamarena (which is now no more sadly).
It was to innovative for it's time!
It has many good games allthough some were were later released on the PS2.
I advise you have a good search in it's library of games.
You'll be pleasantly surprised how many forgotton/underrated gems it has. :wink:
don't be human... be peacefull

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2007, 06:51:26 AM »
In addition to the other fine recommendations - I'll add Revolt (think Micro Machines in 3D), Unreal Tournament, and Bangai O (f'n weird run 'n' gun).
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

SignOfZeta

« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2007, 12:08:09 PM »
In addition to the other fine recommendations - I'll add Revolt (think Micro Machines in 3D), Unreal Tournament, and Bangai O (f'n weird run 'n' gun).

Oh yeah, Revolt. That is pretty great, actually, and something most people wouldn't even notice on the shelf.