Author Topic: RPGs In English  (Read 2721 times)

runinruder

Re: RPGs In English
« Reply #75 on: June 29, 2007, 09:53:09 PM »
I dug the PS2.  Best system since the PCE and Genesis. 

The current generation doesn't interest me at all to this point. 
www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

FM-77

« Reply #76 on: June 30, 2007, 01:12:53 AM »
I consider the current generation to be the worst ever since the first one (Atari, Intellivision and that stuff). The last generation kinda sucked too, at least the Xbox and Gamecube. The gen before that was all right, but I didn't like the PS1 or the Dreamcast.

runinruder

« Reply #77 on: June 30, 2007, 02:04:55 AM »
I consider the current generation to be the worst ever since the first one (Atari, Intellivision and that stuff). The last generation kinda sucked too, at least the Xbox and Gamecube. The gen before that was all right, but I didn't like the PS1 or the Dreamcast.

I agree with everything you just said.

You seem to be a good judge of consoles, FM-77.  I don't understand how you went wrong during the 16-bit era.   :wink: 
www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Black Tiger

« Reply #78 on: June 30, 2007, 07:02:35 AM »
I finally got an Intellivoice recently and was blown away by the amazing in-game voices.

B-17 Bomber kicks major ass with the intellivoice.

Plus B-17 has Afterburner style flight sequences complete with roatating horizon. Space Spartans is similar with even more voice and Galaxy Force II style battle sequences.  8)
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Keranu

« Reply #79 on: June 30, 2007, 09:21:26 AM »
We can't even really judge the current generation so far since it hasn't even lasted a year yet, but to me it seems mostly the same as last. I'm hoping the Wii will change this with it's different approach.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

FM-77

« Reply #80 on: June 30, 2007, 10:09:33 AM »
The Wii is just a repeat of the previous generation. Minus the good games, that is. :roll:

Joe Redifer

« Reply #81 on: June 30, 2007, 10:56:56 AM »
I agree that this generation seems to be identical to the last with the same exact types of games.  Gamers these days are PISSED if every single game they buy doesn't last at least 40 hours for a single playthrough.  I get tired of these types of "story games".  Some of the best games ever made can easily be completed in less than an hour.  Not every game needs tons of story, voice acting and cut scenes.  And my favorite cut scenes are Turbo-style with still or animated 2D frames, not full blown FMV or polygons.

Keranu

« Reply #82 on: June 30, 2007, 10:59:35 AM »
I agree, I hate how modern games are all about how many hours it takes to complete. It also pisses me off how games automatically save every time the screen changes. I want to play a game that gets straight into the action and can be beaten in one nice sitting. From all the new games I've played, I think New Super Mario Bros. does that the best, but it's still not quite what I want.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

SNKNostalgia

« Reply #83 on: June 30, 2007, 11:14:56 AM »
I have always like 2D over 3D in a sense, but you got to admit there are some bad ass games made for like the PS2 and a few for Gamecube. I personally just like good games in general. Most of these games are made by Capcom, Konami, Namco, Enix and Squaresoft.

I own atleast 30 PS2 games. Most of these consist of games like Silent Hill, Metal Gear, Final Fantasy (X-2 sucks though), Ring of Red, Onimusha, Devil May Cry 1, Ace Combat, Gradius III + IV and V, Silpheed, Rygar, Dragon Quest 8. As for Gamecube there is a few: Resident Evil 1 remake, 0 and 4, Metal Gear Solid remake, Tales of Symphonia, Metroid Prime (It may be a first person, but just play the game and you will be suprise how well they pulled it off) and Eternal Darkness. See I don't play crap games like Big Mutha Truckers and Need for speed part 30 or something. I just like games period, I try not to be too picky or else you limit yourself to playing the same old shit all the time.

Another thing is it seems like a lot oldschool gamers aren't patient gamers anymore. They want to beat all their games in a short time. I find it harder to pick up an RPG game than a few years ago. As for this generation, there really isn't all that many games to choose from atleast until the next year. The only games I like for 360 are Dead Rising, Lost Planet and I guess Gears of War.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #84 on: June 30, 2007, 11:29:00 AM »
I have Tales of Symphonia.  It sucks.  It's not an RPG.  It's a freakin' puzzle game with a story (that never seems to end).  Sometimes I just want to move on with my life rather than devote weeks of time for a single playthrough.  Like I said elsewhere, I'll take short and replayable over long and shelfable any day!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 11:30:56 AM by Joe Redifer »

Ninja Spirit

« Reply #85 on: June 30, 2007, 12:47:04 PM »
Yeah that's pretty much Lufia 2. Puzzles puzzles puzzles.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #86 on: June 30, 2007, 03:13:43 PM »
Lufia 2 is beautiful, seriously, I want a real sequal on a console.  I do have the GBC & GBA games, but have yet to beat them.  They're both kind of boring.

GUTS

« Reply #87 on: June 30, 2007, 06:28:10 PM »
This generation rules if you're into shooters.  First and third person shooters are like old school games to me- you can just pick them up and play them, they're usually less than 10 hours long, and they're all action.  Games like Lost Planet, Quake IV, and Gears of War are what this gen is all about, I freakin love them.

SNKNostalgia

« Reply #88 on: June 30, 2007, 07:32:12 PM »
Yeah, shooters does seem to be the weapon of choice lately. Even Rainbow Six Vegas is pretty smooth compared to all ther other Clancy titles. It is funny how Gears of War and Rainbow Six Vegas has very simliar game mechanics minus the primary views in the games. I like the idea of blind fire and cover behind walls. Lost Planet plays more classic like than I expected, which is nice.

I like to have different games where you can play for short periods of time and then long epic games that you will put up after a year. Here is the thing with games you would only play once every couple months that take a long time to play: If you have a good number of these games, then the time evens out to where you will break out a game if you havn't played it in a while. Games like Snatcher only calls me out to play every 1 year. If you have a decent amount of games to choose from, then you will end up playing another just in time when it has been a while. It is good to have all these types of games. It just depends on the mood you are in.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #89 on: July 05, 2007, 11:38:42 AM »
I beat Chrono Trigger.  I think I got ending #236,743,539,524 out of 6,387,587,346,587,456,874.  It's a good game, but not one I'd want to play through again.  It's about 5000 times better than Chrono Cross (except for the music).  Phantasy Star 1 and 4 are much better games as is Lunar 2.