Author Topic: RPGs In English  (Read 2735 times)

Joe Redifer

Re: RPGs In English
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2007, 07:50:15 PM »
Now I'm wandering through 65 billion BC on Chrono Trigger.  I'm not stuck or anything, I'm just bored.  The music is complete ass in this era (if you can even call it music), the graphics are horrible and it's just not fun at all.  My desire to continue playing the game is decreasing rapidly.

greedostick

« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2007, 12:59:10 AM »
I also like both of the Lunar games alot. Even though I have never finished 2, but played through it halfway about 10 times. I have also been very fond of the Phantasy star games. Maybe cause III was the first genesis rpg I ever played. Most people don't like 3 but I always thought it was quite good. I have always like Shining in the darkenss and Holy Ark alot even though they are dungeon crawlers.

My true love are action rpg's though. Love all the wonder boy games. Especially Dynastic Hero. Faxanadu for nes, secret of mana II or seiken densetsu III. My favorite game of all time is still Landstalker: The Treasures of King Knole for the Genesis. The game is just awesome in every way once you get use to the 3-D isometric view. Kicks zeldas ass in every way. Better graphics, music, and has alot better story then the 8 and 16 bit versions of the Zelda games.

FM-77

« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2007, 02:32:39 AM »
Now I'm wandering through 65 billion BC on Chrono Trigger.  I'm not stuck or anything, I'm just bored.  The music is complete ass in this era (if you can even call it music), the graphics are horrible and it's just not fun at all.  My desire to continue playing the game is decreasing rapidly.

Seems like the general opinion on this game is that it gets a LOT better after about 10 hours of playtime. I agree with that statement. The jungle is boring and ugly.

greedostick: Every game you mentioned ROCKS!! Awesome games, expecially Landstalker.

I've only played Lunar 1 for GBA. I assume it is the same game as the MCD one, sans the fmvs (they consist of pictures with text instead). I enjoyed the second (MCD) game more, but never actually found much enjoyment in either of those games.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 02:35:10 AM by FM-77 »

offsidewing

« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2007, 05:11:54 AM »
How come the battle system in the Turbo release of Dragon Slayer doesn't get more props for circa 1992??

It was also a good first step in specializing weapons (some characters suffer AP if you equip them with the "Lion Blade" instead of the "Lion Lance.")  It was also a great way to recycle weapons in your group when you found better ones in dungeons.  The option to switch from PSG to CD music is not without it's charm.

While the story line from CF2 makes it tops in my book, I don't think people give Dragon Slayer a fair shake down 15 years later.

kenomac78

« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2007, 05:29:06 AM »
gettng back to the discussion of what makes an RPG i always considered RPGs as any game where the character is customaizeable and the characters can choose different choices and that determines the outcome of the game. 

of course that was what  i adopted in about 1989.

now games are alot different.  if anything grand theft auto 3 and zelda twilight princess are equal amounts RPG as they play out in the same way.  but now games are so big and customizeable that defintion cant work anymore

nodtveidt

« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2007, 06:50:12 AM »
This is the definition I've gone by for many years...

What separates RPGs from other games where you "play a role" is all in the telling of the story itself. While we may think of "experience systems" and the like defining the genre, it's not the only basis. An RPG is meant to be a "novel". In a novel, the main focus of the story is on the character or characters, and how they change. An RPG is the same...focus on the characters and how they change throughout the story. Other games tend to focus on the story itself, making them "short stories" (it doesn't mean the story itself has to be short, it's a literature term to describe a story that's based mainly on events rather than focusing on its characters). With this in mind, the early Zelda games cannot possibly be called RPGs, because the focus was never on Link, but on the story around him. Games that we all know to be RPGs...take a close look at them...there's usually very detailed character development. Ironically, this definition makes it difficult to consider the original Final Fantasy an RPG...the main focus is on the story, and there's very little character development. The only thing that could save its bacon is the fact that the characters do in fact change at one point. But that's truly grasping for straws, and I've considered Final Fantasy to be an adventure game for a long time, NOT an RPG.

This is the only definition that cannot be countered. Any other definition can easily be countered, and you end up right back where you started..."all games are RPGs because you play a role in all games".

Joe Redifer

« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2007, 07:31:23 AM »
Quote from: FM-77

Seems like the general opinion on [Chrono Trigger] is that it gets a LOT better after about 10 hours of playtime. I agree with that statement. The jungle is boring and ugly.

So stick with it until the halfway point?  I hear the game is just a touch over 20 hours long.  And that's fine by me, as I don't like games where a single playthrough takes 60 hours.  I'll take shorter and replayable over longer and "shelfable" any day!!

FM-77

« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2007, 07:36:38 AM »
Yeah that's right. It took me 28 hours to complete it, but I really savored it. Played every single sub-quest and gained a few levels too many (it was far too easy near the end because of this, don't make the same mistake as I did, level 60 is far too high).

Ninja Spirit

« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2007, 09:13:02 AM »
Yeah Joe stick with it dawg. Back in 1996 in addition to Super Mario RPG, Chrono Trigger was the highlight of my summer vacation, me and this other guy used play the game over the phone and had the TV up loud so we could hear where we were at.

The fun really begins after kicking Magus' ass with the Masamune is which you're stuck in 65 Bil BC looking for that one thing to put it together.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 09:15:17 AM by Tone »

malducci

« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2007, 09:20:10 AM »
...  I have also been very fond of the Phantasy star games. Maybe cause III was the first genesis rpg I ever played. Most people don't like 3 but I always thought it was quite good.

I *hated* PS3. That game was a piece of crap in comparison to PS2. If you played 3 first, then I can see why you probably don't hate it, but coming from PS2 the game just sucked. I was very hyped about that game before it came out. It's on my the top 5 biggest game let downs. I've been trying to erase that game from my memory for years. Pfft - even Traysia>PS3.

FM-77

« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2007, 09:27:25 AM »
Yeah Joe stick with it dawg. Back in 1996 in addition to Super Mario RPG, Chrono Trigger was the highlight of my summer vacation, me and this other guy used play the game over the phone and had the TV up loud so we could hear where we were at.

MEGA SPOILER

Why are you spoiling all the fun? That was a very unnecessary thing to post!

Malducci: :shock: Both Phantasy Star III AND Trasia rocks your socks! Awesome games!!

runinruder

« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2007, 10:30:44 AM »
I thought Phantasy Star 3 was pretty cool, better than people give it credit for being.  But there's no doubt that the great Phantasy Star 2 destroys it. 
www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Joe Redifer

« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2007, 10:44:33 AM »
What Tone posted is EXACTLY where I'm at, getting the BS stone to mend that sword.  Then I fight the boss from Valis 2.  Then it bets better, or at least it had better!

I liked Phantasy Star 3.  It's my least favorite PS game, but I still enjoyed it quite a bit.  The mood of the game was so lonely and sad... but for a great reason, in my opinion.  I just got Traysia.  I haven't really started it yet, but the super-jerky scrolling might put me off.  But I will give it a shot.

SNKNostalgia

« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2007, 11:05:07 AM »
I find it funny how people judge games so critically when they are in their late 20's or early 30's and didn't play these games back when they came out. It really does make a difference if your like 14 years old or something playing the game back in 95 for example. My experience with games like FF6, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Phantasy Star 4 and other RPGs was phenomonal for me and almost all my friends that played these games as well. Nowdays, even I find it harder to play these games as they seem outdated and too simplified at times. It is just the way it is. It is almost like you miss out on these games when you play them 10 years later.

FM-77

« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2007, 11:05:20 AM »
Yeah, it's the whole atmosphere (graphically, musically and story-wise) that makes Phantasy Star III so great. I like PSII, but PSIII is very serious compared to it, and I like serious. A lot.

SNKNostalgia: It's called.... Nostalgia. :wink: I'm sure it's all in your head. Besides, kids tend to be more serious with games, that's why you probably enjoyed the games more when you were little. Same with me.