Author Topic: RPGs In English  (Read 2725 times)

Black Tiger

Re: RPGs In English
« Reply #90 on: July 05, 2007, 11:57:28 AM »
I beat Chrono Trigger.  I think I got ending #236,743,539,524 out of 6,387,587,346,587,456,874.  It's a good game, but not one I'd want to play through again.  It's about 5000 times better than Chrono Cross (except for the music).  Phantasy Star 1 and 4 are much better games as is Lunar 2.

I never tried Chrono Cross, but I agree that the other games you mentioned are better.

I don't think that there are many unique endings to Chrono Trigger, just minor variations on two or three.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Ninja Spirit

« Reply #91 on: July 05, 2007, 12:28:01 PM »
Good job Joe, at least you experienced it.

I just played a some Secret of Evermore earlier. For being something made on American soil, I liked it alot. Not quite feeling the music, as most of was that one thing that almost drove Joe from finishing Chrono Trigger: dungeons with ambient noises instead of music.

I last beat the game back in 97'.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 12:32:01 PM by Tone »

Black Tiger

« Reply #92 on: July 05, 2007, 12:32:17 PM »
Good job Joe, at least you experienced it.

I just played a some Secret of Evermore earlier. For being something made on American soil, I liked it alot. Not quite feeling the music, as most of was that one thing that almost drove Joe from finishing Chrono Trigger: dungeons with ambient noises instead of music.

I last beat the game back in 97'.

Let me know if you manage to finish it.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

FM-77

« Reply #93 on: July 05, 2007, 12:49:56 PM »
Jeremy Soule made the music for Secret of Evermore. The SNES sound chip was too weak for his type of music. I really like some of his later music though (PC RPGs).

SNKNostalgia

« Reply #94 on: July 05, 2007, 12:53:15 PM »
Beat Chrono, now play some Secret of Mana. It is a really fun game. Secret of Evermore at the time it came out just disappointed me a lot. It seemed like a not so great version of Mana without the classic fantasy world feel and you use a bone as your first weapon. I may give it another try just for the hell of it though.

Anyways, I am playing Samurai Shodown RPG on my Neo Geo CDZ right now. Yes, Japanese only and horrible loading times, but it is more bearable on the CDZ system. Great game, there is a translation patch coming out hopefully this fall. Over the years of owning it I beat it with 3 characters on the shorter Amukusa chapter and now I am half-way through playing it on the much longer Mizuki chapter. There are Neo CD emus out there that will run this game with the patch pretty well. This gets rid of the long loading completely.

Turbo D

« Reply #95 on: July 05, 2007, 02:43:37 PM »
I could never beat the final boss on mana back in the day. It was some giant dragon that totally kicked my arse.

Ninja Spirit

« Reply #96 on: July 05, 2007, 03:55:04 PM »
Playing SSRPG on Saturn myself. Kills me since the game is all in kanji.

It ain't like Far East of Eden where it's kanji on the main item menu, and in the item description, is the hiragana/katakana equivalent.

GUTS

« Reply #97 on: July 05, 2007, 05:56:02 PM »
I don't know why Evermore gets so much hate, I enjoyed the game. 

Joe Redifer

« Reply #98 on: July 05, 2007, 05:58:34 PM »
I used to own Secret of Mana right when it came out.  I did not care for it.

Keranu

« Reply #99 on: July 05, 2007, 08:44:05 PM »
Couldn't you get like bazookas or something in Secret of Evermore? I really want to play that game since I've barely played it!
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Joe Redifer

« Reply #100 on: July 05, 2007, 09:17:20 PM »
Here is my review of Chrono Trigger.

Here's an index of all of my reviews.

Yes, I am whoring.

Turbo D

« Reply #101 on: July 05, 2007, 09:50:29 PM »
Thats a pretty good review, it pretty much sums everything up.

Keranu

« Reply #102 on: July 05, 2007, 10:01:29 PM »
Here is my review of Chrono Trigger.

Here's an index of all of my reviews.

Yes, I am whoring.

I think your CT review was just a little too generous, but what's with giving Toilet Kids a 1/10!??!?!
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Joe Redifer

« Reply #103 on: July 05, 2007, 10:11:24 PM »
You're right, my reviews are too generous.  I should have given Toilet Kids a 0.

FM-77

« Reply #104 on: July 05, 2007, 11:48:43 PM »
You're right, my reviews are too generous.  I should have given Toilet Kids a 0.

Mega word. No, über word.