Author Topic: TG-16 Shoot ‘em ups  (Read 1392 times)

Ultra Luigi

TG-16 Shoot ‘em ups
« on: June 29, 2007, 04:10:09 PM »
What shmups would you recommend? I just got Cyber-Core, my very first shmup for the TG-16 and I liked it. I rarely play these kinds of games so I want to buy some other ones for this system. I have Raiden for the Atari Jaguar so I wouldn’t want to purchase it again unless it was completely different. If you guys can give me a list of games that you enjoyed playing I would really appreciate it.

Oh yeah, Stage 8 on Cyber Core was insane. The game goes from easy to crazy. I lost most of my lives but I managed to evade the blue insects at the end and I beat the game. It was a lot of fun.  :D

nat

Re: TG-16 Shoot ‘em ups
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 04:38:31 PM »
Do you have CD capability on your console? How about a region converter or mod? That makes a whole lot of difference.

For USA carts, the following are must-owns in my book:

R-Type - Shouldn't need to describe this one.
Sinistron - Futuristic shooter with a biological theme. The going gets really tough the further you get. A great game and a great challenge.
Aero Blasters - Sweet game. Better than the Genesis version (Air Buster).
Blazing Lazers/Gunhed - Awesome vertically scrolling shooter. Some complain about the length of the stages which tend to drag on at times. Killer music.
Air Zonk - Wacky sidescrolling shooter that isn't very hard, but it's nice to look at and a lot of fun.
Psychosis - One of my favorite shooters ever. Great graphics, music and an interesting theme. This one is tough for the unseasoned.
Fantasy Zone - A great arcade port of the SEGA spectacular!

The following also are worth a look:

Deep Blue - Most people don't like this game siting the fact that it's too hard for them. Runinruder and myself are truly hardcore and therefor love this game. It's an underwater shooter where you battle schools of fish mutated by an alien force. Simply awesome. This game should actually be up there in my first section.
Galaga '90 - TurboGrafx port of the arcade classic Galaga '88.
Sidearms Hyperdyne - Capcom classic where you can face either way to shoot. Forerunner of sorts to Forgotten Worlds. For me this game is really hard but I honestly haven't given it a lot of play time.
Dead Moon - An alien probe has crashed on the moon and it's up to YOU to stop them. Pretty cool game, but most of the music isn't memorable. Not bad, but you won't catch yourself humming it later. Not too difficult.

There are more, but that's a start for you. I'm not going to waste time with CD and Japanese games since I don't know if you have the ability to play them.

nodtveidt

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 05:41:07 PM »
Dead Moon - An alien probe has crashed on the moon and it's up to YOU to stop them. Pretty cool game, but most of the music isn't memorable. Not bad, but you won't catch yourself humming it later. Not too difficult.
I disagree. I find myself replaying the music for this game over and over in my head quite often, especially the final boss music and the first level music.

I would recommend Super Star Soldier and Soldier Blade as well. Oh, and if you really want a nightmare...go for the original version of Sinistron, called Violent Soldier. That game is uberhardcore just like Deep Blue. It makes Sinistron look easy, and Sinistron is a real bastard of a game past level 3.

PhilBiker

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2007, 03:03:32 AM »
The TG-16 is renowned as a shooter lover's system, now as well as when it originally came out.  I can only comment on the ones I have:

US Carts:

Aero Blasters is awesome, particularly two players, until the "Zero Gravity" kicks in, then it's a complete washout.  What where they thinking?
Blazing Lazers is the best shoot-em-up I've ever played.  Great music, perfect gameplay, great visuals, easy parts, completely insane parts, you name it, this game has it all.
Sidearms is fun but gets very hard very fast.  It's got a manic pace that's a lot of fun for the short time till it gets insane.
Super Star Soldier is fantastic.  Some of the levels are completely impossible unless you go into them all powered up - if you "continue" you may as well run+select and start over.
Soldier Blade is great also.  Lots of fun.
R-Type of course.  TG-16 version has some serious blinking/graphics problems.
Air Zonk is fun if you like "cute-em-up" games.
Deep Blue is an abomination.
Sinistron I can't remember it's been so long since I played it.  I remember it being impossible.
Fantasy Zone I hate it.  Make me an offer.
Psychosis is kind of frustrating, but colorful and can be fun as long as you don't pick up the crappy weapons.  Imaginative visuals and very good music.  This is one of those games where memorization is almost more important than game play skill.
Ordyne is an OK cute-em-up.  Great fun with two player simultaneous play.
Galaga '90 rules if you like the original Galaga.
Dead Moon Really neat backgrounds and ho-hum gameplay.  It's pretty good, but I get the feeling that it could have been a lot better if some of the people designing the backgrounds did some of the sprites instead.  Bosses are just wierd.
Space Harrier Supposedly it's a great port of the arcade version.  I don't particularly like it.

US CDs:
Gate Of Thunder is amazing.  Almost as good as Blazing Lazers in my book.
Lords Of Thunder is very good, about 4/5 as good as "Gate".
Cotton is frustrating and impossible.  Anyone want to make me an offer?  My copy's like new.
Monster Lair is extremely fun with two player simulateous - great music.
Forgotten Worlds has funky controls, but is pretty cool.

Cyber-Core is OK, but not on my list of favorite TG-16 shoot-em-ups.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 01:43:56 PM by PhilBiker »
Wonk-wonk-wonk.  Where are your true friends at times like this?  Right here!  Wonk-wonk-wonk.

Ultra Luigi

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2007, 04:03:45 AM »
Do you have CD capability on your console? How about a region converter or mod? That makes a whole lot of difference.

I should have mentioned that I was only interested in the US Hucards since I don’t have the TurboGrafx-CD or a converter. Thanks a bunch Nat and PhilBiker.

Black Tiger

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2007, 06:43:45 AM »
Try Aeroblasters next.  8)
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

nat

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2007, 07:01:08 AM »
Really, all the games we listed are better than Cybercore IMO. It makes me so happy you're already loving TurboGrafx shooters and you've only played Cybercore, of all things.  :wink:

And I have to dispute this statement:

Aero Blasters is awesome, particularly two players, until the "Zero Gravity" kicks in, then it's a complete washout.  What where they thinking?

It's called challenge. The first zero-G stage is one of my favorites in the whole game. Make no mistake, you'd better have your best game face on for this one.

Also, I'd like to add that you should play Blazing Lazers/Gunhed before Super Star Soldier or Soldier Blade. Those games are good, but are kind of sequels to Blazing Lazers and not quite as good.

runinruder

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2007, 09:28:00 AM »
I agree with Nat on the zero-G stages in Aero Blasters.  The only part of AB that I felt was BS was the stretch in the final stage with the uneven tunnel and the wobbly screen.  I always lose a good three lives or more on that crap. 

Also, I'd like to add that you should play Blazing Lazers/Gunhed before Super Star Soldier or Soldier Blade. Those games are good, but are kind of sequels to Blazing Lazers and not quite as good.

Yeah, I'd go even further and say don't bother with Super Star Soldier at all, or at least put it off until you've played most of the other games listed in this thread.  It's ugly and antiquated, and too long for its own good.  Blazing Lazers and Soldier Blade are much better. 
www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

vestcoat

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2007, 01:27:56 PM »
Is Raiden on the Jaguar totally awesome?  If so, don't worry about the hucard; wait until you have a cd system someday and then get Super Raiden.

Cyber-Core is a vertical shooter, so I'd recommend mixing things up with a horizontal title.
If you’re willing to try something different, Air Zonk gets my vote.  I’m not a fan of cute-em-ups but I like Air Zonk.  The music and graphics kick ass and you can adjust the difficulty.
If you want something fast and intense (and you’re only willing to stare at spaceships), I agree that Aero Blasters is your best bet.
Otherwise R-type is the king of the slow shooters.  If you’re sick of R-type, the alternative slow shooter would be Sinistron.

After you pick up the games you're most interested in, try Dead Moon and Galaga 90.

Vertical
1: Raiden
2: Soldier Blade
3: Blazing Lazers

Horizontal
1: Air Zonk/Aero Blasters
2: R-Type

PhilBiker

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2007, 01:40:58 PM »
It's called challenge. The first zero-G stage is one of my favorites in the whole game. Make no mistake, you'd better have your best game face on for this one.
IME it's impossible unless you're doing two player simultaneous.  If you are doing two player simpultaneous at that point you can pretty much switch off "flash" bombs all the way through.
Though they are similar, Blazing Lazers was made by a different company / team than SSS ans SB.  They are all three excellent.

I hate Raiden.  Boring graphics, completely uninteresting sounds, and unbelievably slow movement, you can barely avoid shots.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 01:42:31 PM by PhilBiker »
Wonk-wonk-wonk.  Where are your true friends at times like this?  Right here!  Wonk-wonk-wonk.

nat

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2007, 02:39:29 PM »
IME it's impossible unless you're doing two player simultaneous.  If you are doing two player simpultaneous at that point you can pretty much switch off "flash" bombs all the way through.

It's not impossible. I have gotten through that stage without losing a life before.

Although I won't lie, it didn't happen on my first try and took a while before I could do it. The key is choosing the correct weapon.

esteban

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2007, 02:44:58 PM »
I hate Raiden.  Boring graphics, completely uninteresting sounds, and unbelievably slow movement, you can barely avoid shots.
Don't be such a hater :) . It's a friggin' fun, challenging game that can really hook you if you give it a chance...

The challenge is the best part, if you ask me. I love games that whoop my ass and still leave me wanting to play one more time.
  |    | 

Tatsujin

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2007, 04:23:27 PM »
gate of thunder, then long nothing O:)
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

SuperDeadite

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2007, 12:23:17 AM »
Cotton is frustrating and impossible.  Anyone want to make me an offer?  My copy's like new.

Cotton impossible?  I got to the extra loop after a mere 3 nights worth of playing.  I haven't beaten the extra loop yet, but I got to about level 6 before taking a break and started playing a new game.  If you just abuse your shielding abilities most of the bosses are quite easy...
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

Ultra Luigi

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2007, 11:21:51 AM »
Awesome, from what I’ve read about Aero Blasters, I’m going to get that game next. I’m up for the challenge.

What about Dragon Spirit? I read something about it but I don’t trust the guy after I read a few of his reviews. Remember that Nsider guy that I quoted on New Adventure Island, well he does weekly reviews on every new VC game and he loved Dragon Spirit calling it one of the best TG-16 games. He Highly Recommended the game while other games that you guys mentioned were good, like Blazing Lazers got a Not Recommended. He didn’t recommend most of the TG-16 schmups except for Dragon Spirit.

Dragon Spirit Review
I remember mentioning that I had a thing against space shooters because they were mostly the same thing over and over again, whether we're talking about gameplay, graphics, music, or any other gameplay feature. Dragon Spirit, however, is hands-down one of the BEST space shooters I have ever played. Maybe it's because I love dragons to death... Nah. Or maybe because of the game's uncanny resemblance to RainbowBell (TwinBee, for all of you people who didn't play Konami Arcade Classics for the DS), a game that I love... No, perhaps this isn't the reason. It's because this game just rocks, plainly and simply. The graphics are some of the best on the TG-16, and the gameplay is fantastic. It's also not as hard as the space shooters usually come by, perhaps due to the fact that your blue dragon can sustain three hits, instead of the usual one-hit-kills dilemma present in the usual space shooters. Of course, we are faced with a different sort of problem... I'm sure that not a lot of you have heard about - or played this - gem of a game. Don't hesitate, though... This is worth it, and one of the best TG-16 games available on the Virtual Console right now. Now, whenever people are going to ask me which shooter they should get, I'm not going to tell them "Gradius III, R-Type III, etc.", but I will tell them to download Dragon Spirit, because that's just how great of a game it is. But don't take my word on it. Just go and download it! Also, I must make a note that after last week's highly disappointing Hudson release of the abysmal China Warrior, it's a relief to see that Hudson actually has great gaming taste. I really questioned their sanity after they released China Warrior, but now, all of those pointless grudges are now long past... For Hudson has redeemed themselves! Highly recommended.

Blazing Lazers Review
Not again. NOT AGAIN. Another space shooter. Not only am I now officially tired of this genre, but I'm even tired of typing about how tired I am. Blazing Lazers might have been good if it had some stand out features. You won't find anything redeeming in this game, it's just another standard space shooter. Sure, everything works, but how much more can we take?! I can't even bear to look at space shooters any more. Well... all except Xevious, because that game rocks beyond anything else. But in all due seriousness, don't get Blazing Lazers unless you want another space shooter (gasp). It's a tired stereotypical formula, and this particular game does nothing to reinvent - or even add on to - an already stale genre. No wonder the space shooting genre has died out... It seems as though no game developers really had any ideas to reinvent the genre! It's just the same old, same old, and I for one shall not stand for something like that. I am just flat-out tired and disgusted. How much more can we take? Obviously not recommended. ...But wait. Don't think that this game is bad in any way. It's actually quite solid all things considered. It's just that it doesn't have any redeeming features. Just thought I'd add this note.

Is Dragon Spirit as good as he makes it out to be?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 11:34:31 AM by Ultra Luigi »