Author Topic: TG-16 Shoot ‘em ups  (Read 1401 times)

FM-77

Re: TG-16 Shoot ‘em ups
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2007, 11:46:09 AM »
Dragon Spirit ROCKS! The graphics are terrible, but otherwise that dood is right on the money. Great game.

PhilBiker

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2007, 01:55:56 PM »
If you liked Cyber-Core I think you'll love Dragon Spirit.

Blazing Lazers was groundbreaking at the time of its release.

Another thing about Aero Blasters - it has some GREAT music.  The song in the cave level (level 2) is really cool.  And the bosses actually get easier from levels 1-3.  The Level 3 boss is pretty much a joke IMO.  Fatasy Zone as much as I don't like the way it plays (the scrolling forard to back when you turn around is pretty insane on my 96" screen) the music is great, you'll hum along to this one.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 02:23:37 PM by PhilBiker »
Wonk-wonk-wonk.  Where are your true friends at times like this?  Right here!  Wonk-wonk-wonk.

PhilBiker

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2007, 02:16:15 PM »
Otherwise R-type is the king of the slow shooters.  If you’re sick of R-type, the alternative slow shooter would be Sinistron.
And Psychosis, another great slow shooter.  I'm not big on slow shooters myself but the crazy visuals of Psychosis keep me coming back.
Wonk-wonk-wonk.  Where are your true friends at times like this?  Right here!  Wonk-wonk-wonk.

PhilBiker

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2007, 02:20:41 PM »
Another site I'd recommend is Shmups.com for reviews.  They do a pretty good job.  Check the "Xenocide Files" for older reviews of some of the games discussed here.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 02:31:36 PM by PhilBiker »

Black Tiger

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2007, 02:31:02 PM »
If you liked Cyber-Core I think you'll love Dragon Spirit.

Blazing Lazers was groundbreaking at the time of its release.

Another thing about Aero Blasters - it has some GREAT music.  The song in the cave level (level 2) is really cool.  And the bosses actually get easier from levels 1-3.  The Level 3 boss is pretty much a joke IMO.  Fatasy Zone as much as I don't like the way it plays (the scrolling forard to back when you turn around is pretty insane on my 96" screen) the music is great, you'll hum along to this one.

I find that classic 2D games are much more impressive on a huge screen than modern 3D stuff.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

PhilBiker

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2007, 02:32:17 PM »
I find that classic 2D games are much more impressive on a huge screen than modern 3D stuff.
Devil's Crush is INSANE at gigantic size.

nat

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2007, 02:41:16 PM »

Is Dragon Spirit as good as he makes it out to be?

In a word: no.

Like Selda... I mean FM-77 said, the graphics are horrible. That reviewer's comment that the graphics "are the best the TG-16 has to offer" indicates to me he never played the game, or any other TG-16 game. Either that, or he has some killer f*cking drugs he needs to hook me up with. Like I pointed out in another thread, the background for the entire length of stage 1 barely uses 8 colors at best.

The game is not horrible, but the size of your dragon makes the hitbox waaaaay to big. Not to mention various powerups go so far as to INCREASE YOUR SIZE worsening the problem.

You might waste away an hour or so on Dragon Spirit, you might even enjoy some of it, but it's far from the best of what the TG-16 has to offer in the shoot 'em up department. If it was the best, it would have been on the list I posted earlier.  :wink:

EDIT: FM-77, don't you dare post that vid clip at me.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 02:46:43 PM by nat »

PhilBiker

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2007, 01:45:45 AM »
the size of your dragon makes the hitbox waaaaay to big. Not to mention various powerups go so far as to INCREASE YOUR SIZE worsening the problem.
Cyber-Core has the same behavior, if anything it's worse on Cyber-Core.  Powered up your bug is GIGANTIC.  Which is kind of cool, except that thing about avoiding shots.  Dragon Spirit plays a lot like Cyber-Core, which, though not one of my favorites, is pretty cool IMO.

FM-77

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2007, 03:02:08 AM »
it's far from the best of what the TG-16 has to offer in the shoot 'em up department.

Tatsujin

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2007, 03:18:09 AM »
:edit:
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 02:01:26 AM by Tatsujin »
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

grahf

« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2007, 03:36:22 AM »
When I was a kid and had a TG16, Dragon Spirit was one of the only games I bought before trading the whole setup in. I thought it was aweful then, since at that point I pretty much hated all shooters. I bought it again after getting into PCE stuff, and I actually really like it now. I like to play it for more than a few games at a time, but I always come back to it.

runinruder

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2007, 04:54:10 AM »
Dragon Spirit plays a lot like Cyber-Core, which, though not one of my favorites, is pretty cool IMO.

Dragon Spirit is slow, ugly trash.  It's only similar to Cyber Core in that you can drop "bombs" on ground-based foes.  CC has a much faster pace to it. 
www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

esteban

« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2007, 04:38:23 AM »
Dragon Spirit plays a lot like Cyber-Core, which, though not one of my favorites, is pretty cool IMO.

Dragon Spirit is slow, ugly trash.  It's only similar to Cyber Core in that you can drop "bombs" on ground-based foes.  CC has a much faster pace to it. 
Don't listen to the naysayers: Dragon Spirit can be fully enjoyed if you open your mind. Hitbox too large? Hogwash. Dragon too slow? Hogwash. Why do folks even bother playing different games if they aren't willing to accept variances in game mechanics? Sure, I have my preferences, but I don't let them get in the way of appreciating good games. Get DS cheap and enjoy it. Peace, love and harmony :).
  |    | 

runinruder

« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2007, 04:48:59 AM »
Why do folks even bother playing different games if they aren't willing to accept variances in game mechanics?

Oh, I'm willing.  I just don't consider tediously slow pacing and ugly-as-shit visuals to be acceptable variances.   :wink:
www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

sideshow

« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2007, 05:49:59 AM »
The music in Dragon Spirit is one of the best hucard offerings out there next to Air Zonk.  Cybercore's music isnt too shabby either.  Just stay far away from Night Creatures, Ghost Manor as far as the music department goes.