Author Topic: TG-16 Shoot ‘em ups  (Read 1404 times)

runinruder

Re: TG-16 Shoot ‘em ups
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2007, 05:57:04 AM »
Yeah, Cyber Core has some great music.

And I dig Night Creatures' tunes.  All three of them.   :)
www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

esteban

« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2007, 04:50:29 PM »
Why do folks even bother playing different games if they aren't willing to accept variances in game mechanics?

Oh, I'm willing.  I just don't consider tediously slow pacing and ugly-as-shit visuals to be acceptable variances.   :wink:
Hahahahhahahaa. Yeah. :)

I also like Daisenpu(PCE) and Tiger Heli(NES), so I'm a lost cause. At least I have fun when I go off on rants about this stuff :).

So, have you given the PCE Dragon Spirit soundtrack a second chance? You know you want to....
  |    | 

runinruder

« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2007, 05:04:29 PM »
So, have you given the PCE Dragon Spirit soundtrack a second chance? You know you want to....

Ugh, that would mean playing the game again.   #-o  :wink:

Seriously though, I still really like the sixth-stage tune.  And while I don't like the composition overall, I appreciate the bass sound in the stage 2 track (it has that "slapping the strings" sound--I think you noted this when you analyzed all of the tracks in another thread).  I'm still not impressed with the rest, but when I do play through it again, I'll keep an ear out for the good stuff.   :wink: 
www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

terrormask

« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2007, 05:05:48 PM »
Blazing Lasers and Super Star Soldier have been excellent shoot'em ups in my opinion of what I have played so far.

esteban

« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2007, 05:11:09 PM »

Ugh, that would mean playing the game again.   #-o  :wink:

Seriously though, I still really like the sixth-stage tune.  And while I don't like the composition overall, I appreciate the bass sound in the stage 2 track (it has that "slapping the strings" sound--I think you noted this when you analyzed all of the tracks in another thread).  I'm still not impressed with the rest, but when I do play through it again, I'll keep an ear out for the good stuff.   :wink: 
Be a goofball and listen to the mp3's. Do it. You know what I am listening to right now, as I type this.
  |    | 

nat

« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2007, 05:29:01 PM »
You know what I am listening to right now, as I type this.

Michael Jackson's Beat It?

Ultra Luigi

« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2007, 12:31:44 PM »
It turns out my next game wasn’t Aero Blasters after all, it was Dragon Spirit. I saw an auction on eBay that I had to bid on, the auction was 3 games, Dragon Spirit, Vigilante, and Tiger Road. I didn’t have any of those games so I thought I’d give it a shot and I won. The only problem was that the owner had only one feedback so it was kind of risky, but not that many people bid due to that. I won the games for 18$ total and I finally got them today. S/he also gave me a free game, Bloody Wolf, so 18$ for 4 games sounds like a good deal to me.  :D

So now I have 12 games total and when I joined this place I only had 6. Hopefully I’ll get more games soon like Aero Blasters, and the others you guys recommended.

Turbo D

« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2007, 12:50:22 PM »
thats cool that you got a free bloody wolf; that game is bad ass  8)

Tatsujin

« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2007, 01:08:36 PM »
and cost itself double the price nowadawys. gongrats :clap:
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

esteban

« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2007, 04:30:12 PM »
You know what I am listening to right now, as I type this.

Michael Jackson's Beat It?
Exactly. And THRILLER! Woohoo.
  |    | 

GUTS

« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2007, 12:29:22 PM »
runin is religiously opposed to MP3s and MPEGs.

Turbo D

« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2007, 01:05:46 PM »
dodongo dislikes smoke

esteban

« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2007, 04:47:05 PM »
runin is religiously opposed to MP3s and MPEGs.
goddam!
  |    | 

ceti alpha

« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2007, 07:37:50 AM »
Aeroblasters is amazing. And a perfect arcade port. The version I have for MAME is identical. Any differences, if any, are minor.

As for difficulty in shmups, the harder the better. I love Galaga 88 on MAME, because like its predecessor Galaga, it is extremely difficult. However, Galaga 90 is not nearly as difficult. In fact, when it arrived in the mail I immediately put the game in and beat it in 15 or 20 minutes easily. I have never beat the game before on MAME or in the arcade. But I don't regret buying it as the graphics and music are pretty sweet. But Galaga 90 is missing the weird aliens talking in Japanese sequences. My point is that Galaga 90 would be sooo much better if it was a lot more difficult. 

Raiden is Raiden. If you like tough shooters then this is your game. Kicks my butt everytime, but I still love it.  ](*,) hehe

Gate of Thunder on Hard or Devil is pretty sweet, heck even Normal gets pretty challenging. I'm still working on it. I've stepped up to Normal and once I beat it on that I'll go to Devil....I'm frightened.  :pray:

But right now Summer Carnival 93 Nexzr Special is where it's at for me. Excruciatingly difficult even on the easiest setting. Plus it has plenty of menu options (i.e. "stretching screen" or "acade mode", level select and live select. Though you can only select the level you have actually completed.) Your fighter in Nexzr is my favourite looking ship in any shmup. The pulsating green thrusters are sweet. The Carnival modes are interesting enough, but the real action is in the actual game. The only thing I regret about the Carnival version of the game I have is that it is missing the animated cut-scenes. But at least I have Youtube for that.  :)

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

Black Tiger

« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2007, 01:48:28 PM »
Aeroblasters is amazing. And a perfect arcade port. The version I have for MAME is identical. Any differences, if any, are minor.

Aeroblasters Turbo/PCE's graphics are actually completely redrawn with and the music is remixed with a bunch of changes and a whole new track and the gameplay is altered.

The Megadrive/Genesis version however really is about as close to a perfect port as you can get on 16-bit and I'm guessing that the arcade uses similar hardware.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum