Author Topic: I'd have to say that Final Soldier is my all-time favorite U.S. Turbochip  (Read 1381 times)

Black Tiger

But then, who didn't love playing Final Soldier on the TG-16 back in the day? :wink:

In the past when Kotaku mentioned import-only releases through out history and used the U.S. console names, it was fine since they assumed their readers were either ignorant or very young.

But today they specifically say:

1991: Hudson Soft releases Final Soldier for TG in the US.

History is cool!

I can't wait to play this on VC!  :P
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 12:42:20 PM by Black Tiger »
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

nat

It looks like a great title, a space shooter allowing you to change weapons between levels.

Really? The U.S. release sure kicks the shit out of the Japanese version, in that case!

Joe Redifer

Quote from: Black Tiger

Why?  Don't you have the real thing?

I was always confused about this game and Super Star Soldier.  One is supposed to be complete awesomeness, and the other complete trash.  I always forget which is the good one, so I bought neither.

nat

Neither one is complete trash. Super Star Soldier is more wildly hailed as awesome, but Final Soldier is actually the better game. If you can play import games, get Final Soldier.

Super Star Soldier is... OK.

Black Tiger

Quote from: Black Tiger

Why?  Don't you have the real thing?

I was always confused about this game and Super Star Soldier.  One is supposed to be complete awesomeness, and the other complete trash.  I always forget which is the good one, so I bought neither.

I've never owned it and I don't think I've ever really played the rom either.  :P
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Turbo D

Super Star Soldier is my favorite of the two and is also the harder of the two. Final Soldier is really fun and is a hell of alot easier imo.

Keranu

Final Soldier is way better in my opinion and good find on that whacked out article, Black_Tiger!
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Tatsujin

FS has, how should i say, no straight line. the game looks not finished to me and the weaponary isn't that cool as it is in the other soldiers. but the BGM rocks the hell out.

but for me:

SSS
SB
FS

sorry folks.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Necromancer

• Global Moderator

It looks like a great title, a space shooter allowing you to change weapons between levels.

Really? The U.S. release sure kicks the shit out of the Japanese version, in that case!

Ha-ha-ha!

Of course, I remembered Bonk as pretty awesome until I recently loaded it up on VC.

What the bloody hell?  Bonk is still f'n awesome.  I aught to track him down and stab him in the nut sack with a rusty pick ax.

The Soldier Series is damn solid, but Soldier Blade is my favorite (third time's the charm).
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

offsidewing

Bonk is a solid game.  The first Bonk I got was Bonk's Revenge.  I got it the first Xmas that it was out.  As good of a game as it was (it beat Sonic in the game pro ratings by .5) I still beat it by the time we had Xmas dinner that afternoon.

td741

Umm...  I don't think there ever was a US release of Final Soldier?  Wasn't Soldier Blade the last of the "Soldier" series games that got a US release?

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Correct - Sadly, there was no US release of Final Soldier.  Oddly enough, it is the second in the series (contrary to what the name implies), and Soldier Blade rode drogue for the series in both regions.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

nat

Umm...  I don't think there ever was a US release of Final Soldier?  Wasn't Soldier Blade the last of the "Soldier" series games that got a US release?

Obviously the sarcasm of Black_Tiger and myself didn't ooze so well over the fiber optic lines.

Joe Redifer

Nat, if it is a US game, why would I need the ability to play imports?

nat

Don't MAKE me slap you.