Author Topic: I'd have to say that Final Soldier is my all-time favorite U.S. Turbochip  (Read 1393 times)

terrormask

How much better is Final Soldier over Super Star Soldier? I never tried Final Soldier but I do have Blazing Lasers and Super Star Soldier and I think their great games.

Tatsujin

honestly it's below.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

nat

honestly it's below.

terrormask, it's all opinion. This man's opinion is obviously incorrect.  :wink:

Final Soldier is a fantastic entry in the series and has a few qualities the others lack (such as being able to set up the types of weapons you can pick up before you actually start playing). It also has some digitized voices like in Gunhed.

Final Soldier is my favorite game out of all of them, and only below Gunhed/Blazing Lazers if you count that as part of the "series". The music doesn't get any better than FS, it has some very memorable bosses (the mechanical eagle springs instantly to mind) and some of the stage backgrounds are just killer.

I know runinruder and Keranu can back me up here.

runinruder

Final Soldier is much better than Super Star Soldier. 
www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Tatsujin

This man's opinion is obviously incorrect.  :wink:

:cry:
www.pcedaisakusen.net

Digi.k

personally the gameplay is a bit bland but in terms of bgm its one of the best and I quite like the customisation of the weapons.

I got a vid up on youtube if you wanna see:

Joe Redifer

Oh yeah, and then there is also Soldier Blade.  WTF?  All these games look the same to me:  Fly up and shoot shitloads of squares on the ground and collect orbs.  When the timer reaches 5 minutes, it's game over.

FM-77

How many did they make, and why did they make so many?

Black Tiger

How many did they make, and why did they make so many?

The four games that most people think of as a series are:

Gunhed/BL, Super Star Soldier, Final Soldier and Soldier Blade.

They're all different games, but people seem to go on and on about how there's so many.

Even though there're way more hozirzontal shooters than vertical for PC Engine and nobody seems to have a problem with the 5 similar Sonic games on Genesis.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

nat

On the Turbo, there are four (if you count Gunhed/Blazing Lazers). I do, because I believe they all belong together, in spirit. Three if you don't:

(Gunhed)
Super Star Soldier
Final Soldier
Soldier Blade

There is one on the NES:

Star Soldier

There is one on the Nintendo 64:

Star Soldier: Vanishing Earth

There may be others on other systems but those are the only ones for those three consoles, and the only ones that I own.

Why did they make so many? I don't know, why did they make so f*cking many Final Fantasy games?

EDIT: Black_Tiger posted his reply while I was typing mine. Since I already took the time to type it all out I'm posting it anyway rather than hit "Delete." And yeah, he's right, they are all different and distinctive games with pretty unique identities.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2007, 12:23:27 PM by nat »

Turbo D

there is more than one for the nes, haha. I won't say its name, I'll let you dudes google it  :wink:

runinruder

On the Turbo, there are four (if you count Gunhed/Blazing Lazers). I do, because I believe they all belong together, in spirit.

Have you played Nexzr, Nat?  It's another space-vert basically in that same Soldier vein, although it requires more memorization than these other ones.  Really good game, pretty tough with great music. 

www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

FM-77

Yeah, Star Force is another one for the NES.

Gunhed is almost exactly like Aleste, so I wouldn't include that in the "Soldier" series. By the way, Toho developed Gunhed. I suppose some other company made the "Soldier" games, right?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2007, 01:48:48 PM by FM-77 »

nat

By the way, Toho developed Gunhed. I suppose some other company made the "Soldier" games, right?

Hudson Soft is credited as having worked on all of the Soldier games, including Gunhed. How big a part they played in the development of each is unknown to me. So Hudson is credited on all four, and the following other companies were credited as well:

Gunhed: Toho/Compile/Sunrise
Super Star Soldier: Kaneko Co. Ltd.
Final Soldier: <none>
Soldier Blade: <none>

So it appears the last two were exclusive Hudson efforts.

Have you played Nexzr, Nat?  It's another space-vert basically in that same Soldier vein, although it requires more memorization than these other ones.  Really good game, pretty tough with great music. 

I have not, although I probably should have since it's right up my alley. It's on my eventual-buy list. Hmm, I seem to recall there was a copy for sale on here not too long ago. Maybe I should look into that....

Tatsujin

one of the best shooters on the system (let's say in the top 10), with one of the best red-bock BGM!! just kind of hard. but get used to, it ain't so hard anymore.
www.pcedaisakusen.net