Author Topic: What games should I get?  (Read 3356 times)

Turbo D

Re: What CD games should I get?
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2007, 03:50:18 PM »
speaking of games with pant shitting difficulty, how about Daimaikamura for super grafx.

GUTS

« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2007, 04:07:33 PM »
LOL at the fat guy who said he "reverse engineered" Shape Shifter.  Try reverse engineering some gaming skills instead chief!

Emerald Rocker

« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2007, 04:13:57 PM »
I reverse engineered Cadash to try to figure out why it controls so sloppily.  I had the noble intentions of making the game play better, but I would have to rewrite 30% of the code, so I said "to hell with that!"

I was going to reverse engineer a few more old games, but then I realized that if I'm going to be wasting time on someone else's game (as opposed to working on my own), I may as well just play those games and have some fun instead.

PS: Cadash is not a CD game, therefore you should get Shape Shifter instead (which is better anyways)

Uhm, since when did you start doing PCE game dev or PCE hacking? Or are you being sarcastic. Just curious...

I was making fun of Noltveit's misguided (and ridiculous) idea that he can determine whether a game controls well or not based on code.

I must admit, I'm eager to play one of Notveilt's games... unfortunately, I'll have to reverse engineer it to determine whether or not it's any fun.
Official member of the PCEFX 4K Post Club

Arjak

« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2007, 04:28:05 PM »
So much for peace. :roll:
He who dings the Gunhed must PAAAAY!!! -Ninja Spirit

Black Tiger

« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2007, 05:06:33 PM »
speaking of games with pant shitting difficulty, how about Daimaikamura for super grafx.

Its not that difficult once you get the hang of it. There's just an increasing amount of cheap spots the closer you get to the end that skill alone cannot overcome.

Once you complete the first loop, it goes alot quicker the second time through.  :)
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Keranu

« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2007, 07:03:57 PM »
Haha, I like the reverse engineer jokes.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Tatsujin

« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2007, 07:17:00 PM »
isn't that hard at all. elnino-kun, a board member, was supposed to clear it twice a day back in the good times.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Turbo D

« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2007, 09:03:30 PM »
wow, cool. I beat the sega master version through once, but not the super grafx one.

nodtveidt

« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2007, 02:28:43 AM »
I was making fun of Noltveit's misguided (and ridiculous) idea that he can determine whether a game controls well or not based on code.
It's pretty easy if you know how to trace code and have experience with developing game engines.

offsidewing

« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2007, 02:46:59 AM »
offsidewing, stfu.
I do have a recommendation for you though: go out and buy yourself a motorcycle. Now, hacksaw off one handlebar, flatten both tires, and insert a rock into the chain. Then, start that bitch up and try to ride it without killing yourself. Best of luck. If you can do that, I'll consider Shape Shifter a decently-programmed game.

I can't fathom why people take this stuff personally.  Maybe it's because they couldn't get into Karolinska Institutet, perhaps it's emotional instability, maybe videogames are the only thing where you exhibit a proficiency, maybe rent is due and you've blown all you cash on Erector Sets?  I don't know.  I thought we were all supposed to blindy love everything Turbo around here???

It's my opinion that it's weak to complain about a game's controls.  I also think it's weak to rationalize.  I also never make this stuff personal.  My opinions in here are generalities (which could be as weak as rationalizing) while never geared at one person.

As far as the motorcycle thing goes, (I'll get personal now) I own a Harley 1200 Custom and BMW 1200 RT.  The Harley handles like crap but is a lot more fun to ride than the very techincally proficient Bimmer.  How's that for controls ruining an experience?

("cowboy up" ? Please save it for your fellow country boys.)

Picked up the phrase going to college in New England.  The phrase may have it's origin's from the more recently settled portions of the US's heartland, but I picked it up around Boston.

"And Tommy will come by and hit you in the head with a sledge hammer because you are a retard", I assume this is the reference you are referring to :) .

Hell Yeah!  It was just my adaptation of the classic line.  And Pssst, it's 'tack hammer' and not 'sledge hammer.'   :D

"Where you calling from a walkie-talkie?"

Anyways, sorry if you don't like my opinions.  Voice your opinion in contrast, although don't make it personal.

Keranu

« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2007, 03:11:35 PM »
Hell Yeah!  It was just my adaptation of the classic line.  And Pssst, it's 'tack hammer' and not 'sledge hammer.'   :D

"Where you calling from a walkie-talkie?"
Ahh yes, tack hammer!
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

nodtveidt

« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2007, 03:14:20 PM »
Nothing personal against you, offsidewing, you're not generally one to stir the pot. It's just that the lamebrained comments from the ones who DO like to stir the pot really piss me off (such as the one with the fat guy comment, or the one who needs to learn how to read in order to spell someone's name correctly), and then you added your comments as well which just made it worse. Bad timing, I suppose.

And besides...there's a major difference between a difference in handling and having something quite broken. If your Harley didn't have handlebars at all, or was missing one, then I'm pretty sure you're not going to have much fun riding it...or even riding it at all. That's the comparison I was trying to make. Bad handling isn't the same as broken handling, just as bad controls in a game isn't the same as broken controls in a game.

But blindly loving everything Turbo around here? C'mon...you know that fanboys suck ass. :D

sunteam_paul

« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2007, 06:52:01 AM »
I reverse engineered Deep Blue and found that it consisted exclusively of the following components.

The PC Engine Software Bible
Quote from: Tatsujin
I just felt in a hole!

PhilBiker

« Reply #58 on: July 13, 2007, 07:53:29 AM »
There's a major difference between a game being challenging due to clever level design and being challenging due to a sloppily-coded control scheme. If a game is going to be hard, it needs to be hard on its own merits, not hard because it's difficult to control.
-- cough --- Aero Blasters Zero Gravity -- cough.
Wonk-wonk-wonk.  Where are your true friends at times like this?  Right here!  Wonk-wonk-wonk.

PhilBiker

« Reply #59 on: July 13, 2007, 07:53:55 AM »
I reverse engineered Deep Blue and found that it consisted exclusively of the following components.

LOL!!!!   :lol:
Wonk-wonk-wonk.  Where are your true friends at times like this?  Right here!  Wonk-wonk-wonk.