Author Topic: Another Lords of Thunder version comparison  (Read 958 times)

Black Tiger

Re: Another Lords of Thunder version comparison
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2007, 03:11:46 PM »
Graphical limitations aside, the Sega CD does have a lot of extra horsepower that sure wasn't utilized in this port, line-scroll or no.

The Sega-CD's extra horsepower is under utilized in all Sega-CD games. :wink:
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

sideshow

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2007, 03:19:08 PM »
The main aspect that really made me hate the Sega CD version is just like what the reviews says about the main firepower sound effects.  Lets just say that listening to somebody scratch a chalk board is much more soothing to the ears.

Black Tiger

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2007, 03:20:30 PM »
The main aspect that really made me hate the Sega CD version is just like what the reviews says about the main firepower sound effects.  Lets just say that listening to somebody scratch a chalk board is much more soothing to the ears.

Thats why you're better off getting a Model-1 Genesis + Sega-CD combo so you can control the volume of the effects. :)

Tatsujin

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2007, 03:48:56 PM »
Graphical limitations aside, the Sega CD does have a lot of extra horsepower that sure wasn't utilized in this port, line-scroll or no.

agree. i don't defense the MCD for its overall "worse" appearance, but this was one of the only points which i could spot out which really looks better than on the PCE WoT. anyway, in what the MCD version makes me really disappointing is the much worse color palette it uses.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

nodtveidt

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2007, 04:13:12 PM »
agree. i don't defense the MCD for its overall "worse" appearance, but this was one of the only points which i could spot out which really looks better than on the PCE WoT. anyway, in what the MCD version makes me really disappointing is the much worse color palette it uses.
I don't think they changed the palette very much...well, a color reduction was probably necessary (LoT on the Sega CD does have noticeable dithering in many areas). But I think the real problem lies in the fact that the color encoder in the Genesis/Megadrive isn't quite as nice as the one in the PCE. In an emulator, the games look pretty much the same color-wise.

malducci

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2007, 04:17:57 PM »
The game play is slightly different, too. You might not notice it right off the bat, but after a few rounds you will. I noticed this when I was testing the dual boot CD back to back.

Anyway, it is cool that they made the port. A GOT port would have been cool to see too.

Black Tiger

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2007, 04:34:44 PM »
I would've prefered a port of Dungeon Explorer II for Sega-CD over the original version.

Hopefuly with a redone soundtrack to boot. :)

Joe Redifer

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2007, 08:18:01 PM »
I have Dungeon Explorer for the Sega CD.  It is pretty much nothing like the TurboGrafx-16 original.  The concept is similar, but that's about it.

nat

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2007, 03:05:42 PM »
I've been tempted to try the SEGA CD version but the original Dungeon Explorer is one of my favorite games of all time and has a special place in my heart. I can't see myself being anything but disappointed with the SEGA version.

I read SEGA-16's comparison of the two a year or two ago (did you do that one too, Joe?) and it all but confirmed my fears. Although I'll never really know until I try it.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2007, 03:42:18 PM »
No, I don't think that I did that one.  I did an Aero Blasters/Air Busters one, though.  PCE Dungeon Explorer even has better music than the Sega CD version... by leaps and bounds!  Some of the Sega CD music isn't bad, though.  And the voices almost remind me of Fighting Street... they're that awesome!

GUTS

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2007, 04:34:10 PM »
Dungeon Explorer on Sega CD is a decent game, anybody who says otherwise is a dipshit.  The Duo games are better, but that doesn't mean the Sega CD version isn't a good game that's worth playing.  The SNES Dungeon Explorer though, that game is total shit, ugh.

nat

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2007, 06:13:46 PM »
What, that Crystal Beans game?

Is that even Dungeon Explorer or a third-party lookalike? I was never sure.

esteban

« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2007, 02:34:25 AM »
What, that Crystal Beans game?

Is that even Dungeon Explorer or a third-party lookalike? I was never sure.
Hudson definitely tried to extend their Dungeon Explorer series, but it never really went anywhere. It would have been awesome if DE Sega CD had been successful enough to spawn a similarly-designed sequel (I'm not the biggest fan of the Sega DE, but as GUTS said, it was by no means a bad game... although the music was pretty darn generic for a DE game). Personally, I always think of the Sega DE as a "spin off" of the series since it has such a different look and feel than the other games in the series.

Crystal Beans -- I got this from someone here at this forum, and I haven't finished it yet, but I would have liked to see another SNES installment. Unfortunately, Crystal Beans is not nearly as fun as the TG-16 titles.
  |    | 

Black Tiger

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2007, 03:46:04 AM »
I've been tempted to try the SEGA CD version but the original Dungeon Explorer is one of my favorite games of all time and has a special place in my heart. I can't see myself being anything but disappointed with the SEGA version.

I read SEGA-16's comparison of the two a year or two ago (did you do that one too, Joe?) and it all but confirmed my fears. Although I'll never really know until I try it.

I'm pretty sure that that was one of the bad/super-biased Sega vs Turbo comparisons.

Its bad enough that they're comparing one of from the very last Sega-CD games with one of the very first PC Engine HuCard games instead of the CD game Dungeon Explorer II which also predates the Sega game.

But I'm pretty sure that its also one of the comparisons that says the Turbo version sux cuz the Turbo only has composite out, but the Sega version rox cuz a Genesis can be modded for S-Video out. :roll:

Joe Redifer

« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2007, 01:31:03 PM »
Holy crap it does say that! 

**Sells Turbo version, goes out and buys Sega CD version**