Author Topic: Games in need of translation?  (Read 758 times)

SignOfZeta

Re: Games in need of translation?
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2007, 05:28:13 PM »
Quote from: SNKNostalgia
I wonder what the later Cosmic Fantasy games are like compared to part 2.

Much much much much better.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2007, 06:46:44 PM »
Malducci.  Why the 2.0 version of Ziria?  Is it easier to hack??  I have the 3.0 version, & I'd deffinitly love to see it translated.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2007, 03:48:25 AM »
As others have already mentioned - translations for the Tengai Makyou series, Cosmic Fantasy series, Xak I & II, Anearth, and the Startling Odysseys would be fantastic.  I like old school Final Fantasy (and I'm a pervert), so I'd also like to see a translated Hi-Leg Fantasy.  Laplace no Ma could also use a translation patch.  The SNES version is already mostly translated, and Laplace no Ma is just too uniquely weird for me to not want to play it in English.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

spenoza

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2007, 10:32:38 AM »
malducci, have you tried Ootake instead of Magic Engine? Ootake plays CDs and seems, to me, to be more accurate at emulating many things, especially sound. And the Ootake author makes the source available and frequently updates. Might help a lot more with translating and hacking CD games.
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

malducci

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2007, 11:46:26 AM »
malducci, have you tried Ootake instead of Magic Engine? Ootake plays CDs and seems, to me, to be more accurate at emulating many things, especially sound. And the Ootake author makes the source available and frequently updates. Might help a lot more with translating and hacking CD games.

Yes I have tried Ootake. It's based on the source from PC2E which was shaping up nicely (very accurate CPU core). I have a private build of PC2E with a debugger from the author (Ki), but it looks like Ootake hasn't taken this route yet. Ootake is nice because; 1) it's actively being developed (for accuracy too)  and 2) it has a GUI. Mednafen, while lacking a GUI has the best accuracy so far (only emu to have full SGX and Arcade card support for homebrew devs) and the debugger is just awesome - plus source is freely available. Also mednafen has the only publicly available debugger for PC-FX and WonderSwan color. (Manic - you kick ass!)

Anyway, you guys should head over to the RHDN and post on the translation request thread (don't post translation requests elsewhere in the forum please).

Oh PD, because 2.0 of FEoE has uncompressed text is the main reason. Also, I have a feeling they probably packed that game solid, so finding (static) free space for new routines is a pain in the ass (only CD games have this problem) - so using the 2.0 game would speed things up and allow us or any other hacker to upgrade the game to SCD if needed.

spenoza

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2007, 01:20:27 PM »
At the risk of deviating too far from the topic at hand... Are there any front-ends for Mednafen? Because, really, with dev tools what they are these days, there's kinda no excuse for not having even a rudimentary GUI.
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

malducci

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2007, 03:32:00 PM »
Hehe - sounds you're a Windows or Mac user  :mrgreen:

I've associated all my .pce, .sgx, .cue files (and others) in windows with mednafen so all I have to do is double click or right click and "open with". Ofcourse all configurations besides the gamepads must be done in command line or editing the mednafen.cfg file.

Mednafen is single source/cross compatible, so doing a GUI setup for all environments would be a chore let alone none of the cross GUI packages are up to snuff IMO. There are some frontends (for Mac too), but I don't remember off hand what they are. Ask in the forums over at mednafen.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2007, 11:16:09 PM »

Yes I have tried Ootake. It's based on the source from PC2E which was shaping up nicely (very accurate CPU core). I have a private build of PC2E with a debugger from the author (Ki), but it looks like Ootake hasn't taken this route yet. Ootake is nice because; 1) it's actively being developed (for accuracy too)  and 2) it has a GUI. Mednafen, while lacking a GUI has the best accuracy so far (only emu to have full SGX and Arcade card support for homebrew devs) and the debugger is just awesome - plus source is freely available. Also mednafen has the only publicly available debugger for PC-FX and WonderSwan color. (Manic - you kick ass!)

Anyway, you guys should head over to the RHDN and post on the translation request thread (don't post translation requests elsewhere in the forum please).

Oh PD, because 2.0 of FEoE has uncompressed text is the main reason. Also, I have a feeling they probably packed that game solid, so finding (static) free space for new routines is a pain in the ass (only CD games have this problem) - so using the 2.0 game would speed things up and allow us or any other hacker to upgrade the game to SCD if needed.

When you say "packed" do you mean with a bunch of dummy files, that are possibly used to make the game load faster, or something to that effect?

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2007, 03:14:28 AM »
At the risk of deviating too far from the topic at hand... Are there any front-ends for Mednafen? Because, really, with dev tools what they are these days, there's kinda no excuse for not having even a rudimentary GUI.

Try Let's Mednafen.  It's pretty basic, but it gets the job done.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Kaminari

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2007, 07:20:36 AM »
Mednafen is clearly an emulator for developers. Its accuracy concerns the inner workings of the system, which is fine for hackers. But the way it renders audio and video is far from being accurate from a gamer's point of view. I wouldn't say Mednafen nor HuGo are "accurate" in that respect. ME and Ootake are simply trying to achieve different goals. (Just trying to put things in perspective here. Mednafen is still a decent emu in my eye.)

spenoza

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2007, 10:56:45 AM »
Malducci, I am both, and more. AIX is a bitch, in case anyone cares.

My main complaint is that I tend to play emulated games in short fits and starts and I tend to try things just to try them. Command line interface is a little less useful for that. Also, Windows reports gamepad buttons often differently from the way the pads are labeled, making a non-interactive key assignment arrangement a PITA.

Lets Mednafen is OK, but not quite there yet. Thanks for the info everyone.

malducci

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2007, 03:28:46 PM »

Kaminari, I recognize ME offers a lot in the way of easy setup, interface, and just playing games. I bought way back when and loved it. It's great for all existing games. The probably I have is that all the timing sensitive tests I've run for the real system VS emus, ME is pretty off (cpu and video). So basically my concern is if I develop for PCE, do I need to take into account for ME as well? Since ME is the most popular emu among PCE fans. I already have a large development project which doesn't load in ME (Ootake either last time I checked). Though my target system is the real PCE hardware, emus (ME,Ootake,Mednafen) are a very close second for obvious reasons. It's frustrating.

Sorry for derailing.