Author Topic: Weird track information in Gate of Thunder  (Read 608 times)

Tatsujin

Re: Weird track information in Gate of Thunder
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2007, 04:28:50 AM »
i have an other quite smart question also concerning GoT (but as well as other cd-games). when a stage is beaten, everytime the ubercool and legendary "boom-tsch-boom-tsch-boom-tsch..Stage Clear" sounds blows you away in the next corner. as i'm right, this sample is coming from the HuC6280 and not from the CD directly. how it's possible to create such clear and smooth sounds out of the HuC6280? that's what's amazing me after and after again :shock:
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

SNKNostalgia

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2007, 01:57:16 PM »
PCM samples that are well recorded and executed. Also, it may use some regular sound effects mixed in there. Now I gotta play it to see.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2007, 04:47:14 PM »
The "Stage Clear" is coming from the PCM, not the TurboGrafx itself.  If you listen, you can hear the laser moving while the fool is still busy saying "Stage clear", if I remember correctly.

Tatsujin

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2007, 08:46:40 PM »
uhm..someone just clear me up PLZ. PCM (Pulse Code Modulation, yes?), doesn't that comes from the HuC6280?
www.pcedaisakusen.net

Joe Redifer

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2007, 09:44:03 PM »
There is an ADPCM inside the CD unit that does sampled sounds.  I'm not sure what "AD" stands for, but I'm assuming it's more advanced than the BCPCM which was invented before Jesus.

Tatsujin

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2007, 01:48:20 AM »
may be. Analog Digital. but good to know.
www.pcedaisakusen.net

nodtveidt

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2007, 03:20:37 AM »
ADPCM means Adaptive Differential Pulse Code Modulation. The sound chip inside the Hu6280 is not a PCM circuit but a PSG circuit. All the voice samples in GoT use the ADPCM chip, it's far easier to use than the PSG circuit but memory is limited and the samples can only be monophonic, to the best of my knowledge.

Tatsujin

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2007, 04:13:14 AM »
but this ADPCM device is hooked up in the CD-Drive, but not in the PCE, as joe said it. right?
www.pcedaisakusen.net

malducci

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2007, 05:39:45 AM »
 Ok - PCM can be streamed to each(or all) of the huc6280 6 sound channels when in those channels are set to DDA mode. The frequency is how fast you can write to the port (higher than 44kHz is easily possible), though it's more realistic to use the internal timer for writing PCM sample effects (up to 7kHz).

The CD base unit adds two things to the PCE - an ADPCM playback controller with it's own 64k of memory and 64k of CD ram to hold game code, etc. You can stream audio into the ADPCM buffer (like many games to for in game voice intermission), but you can also load multiple samples into the ADPCM ram and play them at will. Both Gate and Lords of Thunder use the ADPCM controller for some of the more advanced sound effects with no hit to the CPU resource/cycles (plus is save memory by having the samples in ADPCM memory instead of CD RAM). You can play each sample at a different kHz rate (up to 32kHz - mono), but only one sample at a time. The ADPCM controller used in the CD unit clips at 12bit.

The ADPCM unit is independent of the CD load controller. You can play ADPCM samples while loading from the CD unit or playing CD audio.

Hope that helps.

Tatsujin

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2007, 07:52:30 AM »
Hope that helps.

and how it did. thanx for the detailed explanation mal :D

so that explains a lot. also how the cd-drive can load data for the next stage, while still something's entertain to you :mrgreen:
www.pcedaisakusen.net

nodtveidt

« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2007, 08:35:25 AM »
Mysterious Song uses the ADPCM circuit exclusively for all of its sound effects. There wasn't enough memory left for PSG-based samples anyways. :D

Joe Redifer

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2007, 08:56:55 AM »
We may have discussed this before, but could a HuCard theoretically take advantage of the ADPCM if the CD unit was attached?  Sure, it would mean storing dual versions of those sound effects on the card for people without the CD unit, but I just think it would be cool for no particular reason.

Black Tiger

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2007, 11:47:06 AM »
I was just thinking about this recently. I converted some HES files from CD games into .PCE roms and upsized them to 256kb for my flash card... but they still don't work.

Anyways, what came to me the other day is that maybe its the ADPCM samples that are the problem(I've noticed them in many CD PSG soundtracks). I was using a Duo to run them, so the ADPCM chip was there.

Even if that is the issue, I'm guessing that it should still be possible for a Duo to play ADPCM off a HuCard.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

nodtveidt

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2007, 12:23:38 PM »
I imagine it would be possible. For the original units, they always require a HuCard to be present (in the form of a system card) so it's highly likely that the ADPCM circuit is always active and able to be accessed from a normal HuCard if one knows how to do it.

Kitsunexus

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2007, 12:35:56 PM »
Its all a big conspiracy; japanese game developers getting together and making good games  8-[

Except last time I checked, Maxis was an AMERICAN developer... ¬_¬