Author Topic: Beyond Shadowgate  (Read 857 times)

nat

Beyond Shadowgate
« on: July 19, 2007, 03:40:46 PM »
I won a copy of this game on eBay a few weeks back out of the blue.

Since I'm working on completing my US collection (I've whittled it down to a couple really rare titles and a couple extremely crappy common titles), I was pretty happy, considering I didn't even remember bidding on it.

It arrived on Saturday. I popped it in right away since I had nothing going on Saturday morning with the idea I'd spend a few minutes with it. I don't think I stopped playing for like four or five hours. I am enjoying playing through Shape Shifter (also from ICOM), which has a real "quality" feel to it despite some people's misgivings about how the game controls (which I don't personally agree with, but that's another story). Awesome graphics, music, and a unique idea. Even the quality of the audio in Shape Shifter exudes a certain "polished" and professional feel.

Beyond Shadowgate starts with a cinematic intro that picks up at the exact moment the previous NES game left off. After bringing you up to date, you find yourself waking up in a slimy jail cell. The gameplay is similar to the old King's Quest and Quest for Glory PC games, minus a text parser of course. You can cycle through commands like "look", "speak", "grab", "use" etc with one of the buttons and you control Eric with the D-pad. Your father has been murdered, and your job is to get to the bottom of things and find out what's doin'. You've been thrown in jail as the prime suspect in his death. As you break yourself out of jail you have to solve minor puzzles, find items to use in new ways, fight various people and creatures, talk to folks for information, standard adventure-y stuff. You have no weapons, just a punch attack with a limited range.

If Beyond Shadowgate has any faults, it's that some of the obstacles and dilemmas you come across in the game are too easy to figure out or overcome. I kept finding myself comparing the game to those old Quest for Glory computer games I used to play and I remember those being harder. But then I have to remind myself that was over 15 years ago and I was a lot younger. But regardless, with Beyond Shadowgate I wasn't stuck in any one situation for very long. Where Beyond Shadowgate excels is in everything else. The control scheme feels natural, and even the most critical control-whore won't find anything to complain about here. I've heard people say this game has the best graphics on the Turbo, but I say that's rubbish. But don't get me wrong. The entire game looks like one big painting, and there is a certain beauty to the style of the artwork.  The music and audio has that same polished and professional quality to it that Shape Shifter does and fits the game perfectly. I remember walking up a mountain path at one point and as I got higher the audio got quieter, the scenery got darker and the sound of wind subtly moved around me in a stereoscopic manner. I literally got the chills! That's one thing about Beyond Shadowgate-- it's very good and totally sucking you into it's world, a testament to the audio and visuals. Another thing about the visuals, they are extremely varied from one area to the next. You get the feeling the land you are traveling is huge. I played for a long time and made a lot of progress but I still feel like there must be a ton I haven't seen or done yet. I have no idea how close I am to completing the game, but I haven't had a chance to play again since Saturday. I am looking forward to spending some more time with it this weekend. For all I know, things may start getting a lot more difficult as I progress. We'll see.

From what I've seen, I'd strongly recommend this game to anyone who likes questy adventures in the vein of those old Sierra titles I mentioned earlier. Unfortunately, as one of the later US releases it tends to fetch higher prices, probably higher than it should. And I don't think they made a Japanese region version of this one, either. If you can find it for less than $100, you're doing well and I definitely would say it's worth it.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 06:36:04 PM by nat »

runinruder

Re: Beyond Shadowgate
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 04:14:29 PM »
I remember walking up a mountain path at one point and as I got higher the audio got quieter, the scenery got darker and the sound of wind subtley moved around me in a stereoscopic manner. I literally got the chills!

Damn, this sounds good.  The main complaint I'd heard from GUTS was that the dude walked too slowly, but if the atmosphere is this effective, I don't think I'll mind slow pacing.

And awesome review, thanks for posting it. 
www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Tatsujin

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 04:44:40 PM »
damn still on my wish list. do you mind giving it away nat? :-" :mrgreen:
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

esteban

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 05:04:51 PM »
I remember walking up a mountain path at one point and as I got higher the audio got quieter, the scenery got darker and the sound of wind subtley moved around me in a stereoscopic manner. I literally got the chills!

Damn, this sounds good.  The main complaint I'd heard from GUTS was that the dude walked too slowly, but if the atmosphere is this effective, I don't think I'll mind slow pacing.

And awesome review, thanks for posting it. 
It is a fun game, I think you'd like it runin. :)
  |    | 

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 06:32:04 PM »
I have to agree with you nat.  Beyond Shadowgate is an enthralling adventure - even though most of the puzzles weren't very difficult (though there were a couple head scratchers for me).
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

termis

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 09:32:50 PM »
Haven't tried it, but if it's anything like Quest for Glory (the best "quest-type" adventure game series EVER!), I definitely wouldn't mind trying it.

nat

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007, 08:24:37 AM »
The main complaint I'd heard from GUTS was that the dude walked too slowly, but if the atmosphere is this effective, I don't think I'll mind slow pacing.

Honestly, I didn't even notice he was walking slowly. But now that you mention it, I can understand that.

Still-- don't let that deter you.

Hah! This is one I'll never give up. Feel free to contact me when I'm 79 years old and selling off the ol' Turbo collection and I'll give you a discount. Deal?

runinruder

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2007, 08:51:30 AM »
Honestly, I didn't even notice he was walking slowly. But now that you mention it, I can understand that.

Still-- don't let that deter you.

Yeah, I don't expect it to be a huge issue for me.  I don't mind slow walking if a game is enjoyable otherwise.  Loom and Faussete Amour have characters who walk too slowly, but I'm a fan of both titles.

Anyone here play Legend of Legaia for Playstation?  Oh man, the world map part had the slowest walking EVER.  But I totally dug that game, it ruled aside from the map plodding. 

Slow walking usually only gets to me if the game is broken in other ways as well.  Like Astralius.  That one is truly painful to play, and it takes ten times as long  it should because of how slow the characters are. 

www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Turbo D

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2007, 01:58:04 PM »

Hah! This is one I'll never give up. Feel free to contact me when I'm 79 years old and selling off the ol' Turbo collection and I'll give you a discount. Deal?

Don't sell it when ur old, be buried with it  :wink:

Gentlegamer

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2007, 04:27:42 PM »
I've played the beginning of the game via emulation, and I must say I agree with your take. I'm an old Sierra/King's Quest fan, so the similarity was very pleasing to me. This will be one of the first games I go after when I finally get a Duo.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2007, 06:40:59 PM »
I'll chime in & say it's one of my all time favorites for Turbo, & it has a great sense of humor!

GUTS

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2007, 07:09:18 PM »
The slow walking thing is ultra annoying since he has to WALK SLOOOOWLY over to something when you want him to attempt to use it, then slllllowly again across the room to something else.  Lucky the puzzles are fairly easy because attempting solutions was absolutely no fun once the world opened up and you had to cross a lot of ground.  I can see some of you guys not minding, but I think it would have worked way better as a cursor driven adventure game instead of controlling him directly.  I thought the game had excellent writing though and some very good atmosphere, although it was really lame how the game is letterboxed for no reason.

Tatsujin

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2007, 08:38:39 PM »
Deal?
Deal! regarding how long i'm looking after that one, the chances are high that this deal really will come off.
btw. how old you're again by now? :mrgreen:
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2007, 05:27:34 AM »
Its one of my all-time favorite Duo games EVAR!!

The slow-walking problem is basically non-existent!  Do you actually want to run faster when you could be missing very subtle clues along the ground you are moving?  I found the slow movement to aid you rather than hinder you!

I had to start over a few times, as the first time I went through I went on a murderous rampage killing just about everyone I met...LOL- good times, but it sucked cause you don't get some very important items that I needed!

Then I had some trial and error with the spending of money, I had problems buying things that I didn't need....hehe

Thank god for the Turtle Race!! :dance:  That saved me Arse as money is very hard to come by in this classic! #-o

overall a lengthy and amazing quest.

9.5/10 in my book!

TS

nat

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2007, 06:32:57 AM »

I had to start over a few times, as the first time I went through I went on a murderous rampage killing just about everyone I met...LOL- good times, but it sucked cause you don't get some very important items that I needed!

Haha, yeah, I did that at first too. You can kill just about everyone you come across, even the friendly folk.