Author Topic: Beyond Shadowgate  (Read 855 times)

esteban

Re: Beyond Shadowgate
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2007, 03:53:10 PM »

I had to start over a few times, as the first time I went through I went on a murderous rampage killing just about everyone I met...LOL- good times, but it sucked cause you don't get some very important items that I needed!

Haha, yeah, I did that at first too. You can kill just about everyone you come across, even the friendly folk.
This has been the hallmark of all good games...
  |    | 

Emerald Rocker

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2007, 06:56:57 AM »
Jesus, this game is just sounding better and better with each post.
Official member of the PCEFX 4K Post Club

lord_cack

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2007, 03:26:16 AM »
Hey its been a while, but I thought I would chime in on this. All the previously mentioned things are pretty accurate really. The game is very nice graphically, not just because the art work is great (which it is) but how it all comes together. From each local to the next the world "fits" together. It feels like your walking from one area to the next in a continuous world. The pacing is a little slow yes but I think that it doesn't detract from the game.

One thing people haven't mentioned is just how funny this game is. It is loaded with all sort of little bits of humor. Just how some of the dailog rolls out (which there is a lot of spoken dialog in this title as well another excellent feature). Alos, DIE, by all means DIE. The game has a great number of deaths from looking in the wrong place to using the wrong item at the wrong time. I think that the humor was one of my favorite things about the title....
A dark tide will rise and she will walk again. He is coming.....

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2007, 11:49:56 PM »
Heyo, I did mention it has a great sense of humor :D

awack

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2007, 07:19:08 PM »
Thought i would show some screenshots of shadowgate since there seems to be so few on the net, and if you dont want to see these before playing the game then scroll down fast to the next persons post so you dont see them.

nat

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2007, 08:26:31 PM »
Yeah, I really need to play this game this weekend. I didn't get to it last wekeend. But I won tickets to the Mariners vs. Oakland game on Sunday (Budwieser suite! FREE BEER!) so we'll see.

Turbo D

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2007, 08:29:47 PM »
luuuky, free beer and free sports  =P~

sideshow

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2007, 08:49:17 AM »
Its true, if anybody grew up with the 80's Sierra Online games ala Kings Quest, Police Quest, Space Quest, Quest For Glory, Leisure Suit Larry, etc. you will absolutly fall in love with this game.  Its really a PC game made for the Turbo Duo exclusively. 

spenoza

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2007, 01:35:07 PM »
It almost looks as if it was in development for a different platform, because an awful lot of the scenery looks dithered, and if they'd originally designed the art for the TG-16's palette they might have been able to avoid it. Of course, maybe they were lazy, but I would imagine they maybe hoped it would see a PC release.
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

esteban

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2007, 02:44:04 PM »
It almost looks as if it was in development for a different platform, because an awful lot of the scenery looks dithered, and if they'd originally designed the art for the TG-16's palette they might have been able to avoid it. Of course, maybe they were lazy, but I would imagine they maybe hoped it would see a PC release.
You are absolutely correct. ICOM was planning to release this on PC's as well, and they announced it at one of the CES's back in the day. I scanned a page from an old magazine with this info on it, one of these days I'll post it.
  |    | 

nat

« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2007, 03:50:07 PM »
That dithered look is exactly the reason why I don't think Beyond Shadowgate has "the best graphics on the Turbo," as the game is often attributed. They managed to do pretty well with the dithering, and a lot of the visuals are very pretty, but the game could've been made with far less dithering (if any at all) and looked a little better in turn. There are a few stills in particular that look way too dithered, like the grim reaper for example.

Keranu

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2007, 04:50:27 PM »
Yeah sometimes the dithering in Beyond Shadowgate bothers me. Other times it can look really great though (like in that mountain screenshot awack posted) since the color tones mix great with each other.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Gentlegamer

« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2007, 08:38:34 PM »
Its true, if anybody grew up with the 80's Sierra Online games ala Kings Quest, Police Quest, Space Quest, Quest For Glory, Leisure Suit Larry, etc. you will absolutly fall in love with this game.  Its really a PC game made for the Turbo Duo exclusively. 
I love me some King's Quest!

Fans who haven't heard may like to know that there are "VGA remakes" available for free download for King's Quest I-III, with IV presently in the works. Each uses the interface introduced in KQ V for gameplay.

Turbo D

« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2007, 10:00:57 PM »
I had kings quest for windows 95, was a cool game.

I don't really like that filtered background look, but it looks like it goes good in beyond shadowgate.

spenoza

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2007, 02:30:13 AM »
Someone needs to go back and port this game to PC, either than or finish the PC development. A modern classic.  :)
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c