Author Topic: duo simearth thoughts?  (Read 434 times)

CosMind

duo simearth thoughts?
« on: July 20, 2007, 06:40:52 AM »
i've never played the scd/duo version of simearth.
and, i cannot seem to find any impressions out there on the old interweb.

anybody have any thoughts on this rev of the game?  if so, i'd appreciate any words you could toss :)

td741

Re: duo simearth thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 06:48:44 AM »
It's been a while since I played...

What I remember:

1) The game uses all of the save game space to save...  It's a good thing to invest in a bank card to hold onto your save game progress. ;)

2) Every time I tried to play, I've always ended up with overplanting trees and having a lot of "power" but my planet would freeze...  I never really bothered to do much else with the game to be honest.  Is there any point to the game? ;)

I think the game played fast enough, but overrall it wasn't my cup of tea...

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 06:57:22 AM »
Sim Earth on the Duo is tediously boring - just like all the other versions.  It's a bit complicated and oft times difficult to figure what you're supposed to be doing (or what you should stop doing).  Maybe if enough effort were put into it, it would eventually be enjoyable, but there's too much drudge work for me to even want to try.  My advice is to steer clear, unless you love sims or just want it for a collection.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

nodtveidt

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 07:06:00 AM »
It's kinda fun for awhile. But when you can clear the Venus scenario on Hard without even thinking hard about it, it gets kinda boring. I play it for the nice music anyways. :D

td741

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 07:13:15 AM »
So, what is the various SimEarth scenarios?  What is supposed to happen?  All I end up doing is killing my planet before anything of interest happens...

nodtveidt

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 07:26:32 AM »
I never play the easy ones so I don't even remember most of them. I usually just play the hard ones, Mars and Venus, where the purpose is to make the planet inhabitable for humans to live on (and ultimately destroy).

td741

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007, 07:30:07 AM »
Any evolution occuring?  I.E. Single Cell organisms show up, then fish, then land creaturs ---> Humans?  Or you reach your goal and they say: "Congrats, now people can move in."?

CosMind

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2007, 07:39:05 AM »
wow, thanks for such quick responses here :)
from what's been said here, it doesn't sound as if the duo version of the game is nothing new or different from the iterations on other platforms (pc, snes, sega cd, and on, and on...).

thanks a ton.  helps a bunch :D

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2007, 12:41:06 PM »
There all pretty much the same, but only the DUO version has the cool as hell special helper guy!!  Isn't he like a planet or something? 

Damn....

All this Sim Earthy Talk has me itching to dust it off and give it a whirl..

If only for the cool soundtrack...lol

nat

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2007, 02:49:04 PM »
SimEarth was by far the worst of the "Sim" games. I have no idea why they chose to give the Duo a port of that one of all things.

SimCity and SimCity 2000 were obviously the best, hell, even the SNES got a port of SimCity. It's a halfway decent port, too, I still play it from time to time. It's addicting!

sideshow

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2007, 09:23:25 AM »
Its not that SimEarth for the Turbo Duo is bad port its just that Sim Earth is just a boring game no matter what platform you play it on.  For that time period at which is was released, Sim City was just a overall better more enjoyable experience playing.  Maybe if you could zoom in on parts of the planets you were creating to see how life and land was forming it would of been better.  SimCity had much more eyecandy which gave it the edge.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2007, 09:26:41 AM by sideshow »

BonkThis

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2007, 10:21:46 AM »
There all pretty much the same, but only the DUO version has the cool as hell special helper guy!!  Isn't he like a planet or something? 

Damn....

All this Sim Earthy Talk has me itching to dust it off and give it a whirl..

If only for the cool soundtrack...lol

Is that the monolinth thingy?

Odonadon

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2007, 06:29:09 PM »
SimEarth sucks in a "hey this is kinda cool" way: It's about the only game like it.  The planet helper guy is embarrassing, load times are almost unbearable - bottom line this is a PC game not a Console game - for any system.  Does not translate well.

OD
http://www.turbo2k.net - the truly Turboist of all Turbo sites.

Mednafen

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2007, 04:39:21 AM »
It's tolerable if you play it in an emulator that allows you to "overclock" the CPU by a factor of 3 or more, but I can't imagine playing it on a real Turbo Duo without going mad with boredom.

lkermel

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2007, 09:59:42 AM »
1) The game uses all of the save game space to save...

My version even wiped out all my Duo's backup ram and all the saved games I had on it @%$& !