Author Topic: I just got a TurboDuo  (Read 1004 times)

JMontoya9189

Re: I just got a TurboDuo
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2007, 07:45:07 PM »
I have another question for you guys. Why are these games so expensive. I see a game like Sapphire which I hear goes for like $500. Are people hoarding them(rightfully so) or did they come out with few of them.

Quality, man. You get what you pay for.  :wink:

Tatsujin is correct, only around 5,000 copies of Sapphire were pressed in the "official" run. There was another run of the game done a few years later, and the circumstances around that second run are a little vague and questionable. However, if you're just looking to score a copy of the game and aren't a serious collector, you can find one of these "second run" discs for substantially cheaper. I got a new, sealed copy at one point for $40.

As for the high prices on the other titles, usually the better games go for higher prices since people tend to hold on to the good ones (therefor, there are fewer copies floating around on the market).

I would most likely get the latter not unless I inherited $1,000,000 I would buy the former.

Sanjûrô Tsubaki - He was exactly like me. A naked sword. He didn't stay in his sheath.

Tatsujin

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2007, 07:47:31 PM »

There was another run of the game done a few years later, and the circumstances around that second run are a little vague and questionable. However, if you're just looking to score a copy of the game and aren't a serious collector, you can find one of these "second run" discs for substantially cheaper. I got a new, sealed copy at one point for $40.
i assume you talking about those counterfeits, made in one of those dark cellars located somewhere in china pampa on a professionell fake-equipment. do yo?
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

nat

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2007, 07:49:18 PM »

There was another run of the game done a few years later, and the circumstances around that second run are a little vague and questionable. However, if you're just looking to score a copy of the game and aren't a serious collector, you can find one of these "second run" discs for substantially cheaper. I got a new, sealed copy at one point for $40.
i assume you talking about those counterfeits, made in one of those dark cellars located somewhere in china on a professionell fake-equipment. do yo?

That's one theory, yeah.

I've also heard it was an inside job by someone/some people at Hudson.

We may never know the truth.

JMontoya9189

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2007, 07:52:14 PM »

i assume you talking about those counterfeits, made in one of those dark cellars located somewhere in china on a professionell fake-equipment. do yo?

That's one theory, yeah.

I've also heard it was an inside job by someone/some people at Hudson.

We may never know the truth.

If Hudson really did that, Why would they mess with people like that? This is probably not to place to ask but where can I get a $40 copy?

Sanjûrô Tsubaki - He was exactly like me. A naked sword. He didn't stay in his sheath.

nat

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2007, 07:57:16 PM »

If Hudson really did that, Why would they mess with people like that? This is probably not to place to ask but where can I get a $40 copy?

I'm not sure anymore. Used copies will turn up from time to time in the FOR SALE section here. Just be patient.

The guy that owns this link:

http://sapphire.anime4ever.de/

used to sell new copies of this "second run". The page is still there, but I have no idea if he has any left. My suggestion would be to follow the link and e-mail him and find out. I know he was a trustworthy source a couple years ago. Good luck!

Tatsujin

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2007, 08:02:58 PM »
sorry but this guy is hilarious about every word he's writing:

The origins of this “alternative” version of the game are unclear. Some shops in Tokyo claim Hudson issued a 2nd print later on to keep prices down, but the print run didn't hit the stores in the regular way. When Hudson cleared all their warehouses years later the games hit the stores (similar to the Circus Lido situation with Amazon). This isn't confirmed though.

every and last shop in tokyo is aware of those counterfeits, and warn people to get fooled by showing it up in the "hall of counterfeit"-case (trader II did it). and it's a completely different case as circus lido was.

A copy of this version was once forwarded to Hudson Japan and Hudson was not able to confirm that there was anything wrong with it, although it's doubtable that they invested much time to do an archive check on their 1st release. Given the overall quality and perfection, it seems obvious that is was produced "in house" (or at least it was produced in Japan by people who had access to the original materials). Without owning the first run of the game and the possibility to do a side-by-side comparison, it’s hard to tell a difference.

the difference isn't that hard to tell. even a 3-years  old kid knows about it.

just let us check out this fabulous site from one of our users in here: http://www.superpcenginegrafx.com/sapcomp1.html

I bought some copies of this one in Tokyo quite some time ago, not knowing of any “alternative” version and therefore paying a lot of money for those (nowhere near US$500, but still a lot more than what I ask now). From my judgement, I’d say that every 2nd copy of this game sold on Ebay or other internet platforms refers to this version of the game - of course without telling and asking hell of a price. While it might be debatable if it’s ok to sell this game or not, I think it’s ok if people know what they are buying.

what a dork!! sorry! a pathetic try to sell his crap!!

« Last Edit: July 21, 2007, 08:07:17 PM by Tatsujin »
www.pcedaisakusen.net

nat

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2007, 08:09:24 PM »

Let me be clear that I have no relation or connection to the guy that owns that link. :)

However, counterfeit or not, those copies are still a viable solution for someone who wants to play the game without spending their life savings on a single title.

I have no qualms about owning a $40 copy, although if I was a serious collector, I'd probably spring for an "official" pressing.

Tatsujin

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2007, 08:15:24 PM »
Let me be clear that I have no relation or connection to the guy that owns that link. :)

wasn't offending you in any wise or ways :)

However, counterfeit or not, those copies are still a viable solution for someone who wants to play the game without spending their life savings on a single title.

yes, but nothing more or less than grap an ISO from the net and do it on your own way for 50cent, except stopping those people making money with others belongings.

I'd probably spring for an "official" pressing.

your fun while playing it will suddenly arise about 100% :mrgreen:
www.pcedaisakusen.net

nodtveidt

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2007, 08:20:59 PM »
true shmupers clear it with 1cc. so did you? :D
No, but then again, I'm not a true shmuper. I play every genre. :dance:

Tatsujin

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2007, 10:30:02 PM »
true shmupers clear it with 1cc. so did you? :D
No, but then again, I'm not a true shmuper. I play every genre. :dance:

so try a 1cc and tell me if it's still too easy then :D
www.pcedaisakusen.net

runinruder

« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2007, 02:56:05 AM »
Yeah, I agree with Tatsujin 100%.  Sapphire is a lot like modern verticals at heart.  Casual or inept players can do "well" at it by credit feeding and bombing/crashing their way through the levels, while skilled, experienced shooter fans can go for a 1CC finish and discover a more-than-respectable level of challenge. 
www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

nodtveidt

« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2007, 04:03:24 AM »
With enough practice, I could 1cc the game, just like I do Sinistron now.

TR0N

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2007, 04:01:40 PM »

I have no qualms about owning a $40 copy, although if I was a serious collector, I'd probably spring for an "official" pressing.
Agreed if ya got the money to burn buy it legit if not.. get it counterfeit.

Heck, it still doesn't bother mine is counterfeit it plays great and that's all that matters to me.

Beside it's all about playing the game to me.

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

JMontoya9189

« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2007, 10:00:38 AM »
Here is a update II ordered Bloody Wolf, Gradius, and Kyuukyoku Tiger. I ran into a problem replacing my lens for my Duo. Well it has more to do with one screw not coming out. All of the other screws came out fine with my 4.5mm gamebit. This is really annoying is their any other way to take out this screw.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2007, 01:17:15 PM »
Fire Pro is one of my favorite series, but the first three games (all on PCE) are total f*cking shit. *So* f*cking bad.