Author Topic: Analyzing Street Fighter 2: CE on why it is so great.  (Read 2565 times)

SNKNostalgia

Analyzing Street Fighter 2: CE on why it is so great.
« on: July 24, 2007, 06:50:05 PM »
I remember playing SF2 in the arcades at first and then seeing it on the SNES sometime in 92 I believe. After that I saw SF2: CE on the Genesis which wasn't all too bad, but did lack in colors and had dirty music. Then SF2 Turbo: Hyper Fighting came out for SNES which was nicer, but still not spectacular. After all of those, I bought Super SF2 on SNES back in 94 or so.

So, I finally got my US Duo modded to play PCE Hucards and also got the nice S-video mod to go with it. I ordered Ninja Spirit for TG-16 and these games for PCE: Nectaris, Legendary Axe, Splatterhouse, Super Star Soldier, Bomberman '94, R-type 2 (I need 1 now, wasn't aware of the split game crap haha) and a brand new SF2: CE. I ended up getting an Avenue pad along with it. All of this from D-lite, thanks.

I am freaking amazed at how good this version of SF2: CE is for its time and now. It has a solid feel to the controls with excellent colors past the SNES versions and has a very good remix of the music. It is missing the parallaxing in the BG, but that never really amazed me in the SF2 games. So, it easily does well without it. I like how the colors seem to be more solid and vibrant than all the other ports, especially with the character sprites for Ken, Mike Bison, Guile etc.... The Avenue pad is easy to use with pulling moves off on this game. The usage of the HuCard PSG is better than the usage of the SNES yamaha music. Also, the PCMs are really impressive for voices and sound effects. The game just has an overall better and different feel to it, even compared to the arcade. It is hard to point it out. Maybe it was kind of redone all together if you look at it closely.

Keranu

Re: Analyzing Street Fighter 2: CE on why it is so great.
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 07:04:07 PM »
Yeah I think the PCE version has got to be my favorite from the 16-bit console ports (unless you count Super for Genesis). From what I recall, the SNES version had some pillow shading in the graphics that made it look a little generic, while the PCE version used nice smooth shading and looked more colorful than the Genesis version. Also the music in the SNES version just didn't sound right to me and I think it's because it was speeded up or something (Black_Tiger mentioned something about this). Each port had their own best and worst versions of songs though, but I generally prefered the PCE version.

One other thing I'd like to comment on (or recomment rather since I posted it before) is that the PCE version seems to fix a "problem" that appeared in other versions of the game. In other versions of the game if you do a Psycho Crusher with Bison and the opponent is blocking, you can easily throw the opponent as soon as the Psyco Crusher ends. I've tried replicating this in the PCE version but it has never happened, while I know for a fact it happens in Super for Genesis and the arcade version as well I think. While it is a fun feeling to throw someone who blocks it, it does unbalance the game.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Joe Redifer

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 07:08:47 PM »
The Genesis' music was fine, it was the voices that were "dirty".  Ug.

The PCE version is indeed quite good, but I don't feel it is any better than SF2 Turbo for the SNES (except for the 6-button controller).  I, too, am impressed by the digitized samples in the game.  They sound much better than the Genesis version (Capcom really screwed that up).  The music is good as well, but a little thin.  I do not like the missing layers of scrolling, though.  It's weird seeing the elephants slide across the floor in Dalism's stage because of this.  Even the SNES version is missing the 3rd layer for some reason (note the missing layer of elephants compared to the arcade).  It doesn't affect gameplay, but it sure does look odd.  Still, the PC Engine version seems to be based more on the SNES port than the arcade itself as far as graphics (same with the Genesis versions).  All of the 16-bit home versions have similarly drawn sprites which look different than the arcade.  Same goes with much of the detail in the stages.

By the way, the SNES has a Sony sound chip, and the Genesis a Yamaha.

Black Tiger

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 12:51:14 AM »
I'm just putting the finishing touches on a new 'feature' for my site that details the differences between the three versions.

Here's a sneak peak.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

BonkThis

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 04:11:50 AM »
awesome black tiger, but which console is which graphic? I think the one on the far right is the PCE but I dont recognize the other graphics doh.. #-o

CosMind

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 04:23:40 AM »
...R-type 2 (I need 1 now, wasn't aware of the split game crap haha)...

sorry to spin off topic, but i am actually really curious about this.  is the r-type hucard split only in the japanese version?  isn't there a u.s. hucard that has both parts on it at the same time?  i understand there's the japanese "complete" cd with both, and hucards for that region only come in the split.  but, for some reason i recall a u.s. hucard release that contains the full game.

please, correct me if i'm wrong.

and, back on subject.  wow, i didn't realize that the pce sfii: ce was colorfully (and possibly audibly) superior to the snes rev.  i've never bothered to even check it out because i've always really loved the snes rev.  looks like i've another hunt to go on now - thanks to you :P

...They sound much better than the Genesis version (Capcom really screwed that up)...

hey, don't blame capcom.  blame the piece of nuts sound chip in the sega genesis.  uggghhh...
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 04:26:48 AM by CosMind »

Tatsujin

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 04:24:53 AM »
awesome black tiger, but which console is which graphic? I think the one on the far right is the PCE but I dont recognize the other graphics doh.. #-o

it's just marked in the right down corner of each pic :)

www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Tatsujin

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 04:25:47 AM »
please, correct me if i'm wrong.

you're right.
www.pcedaisakusen.net

Tatsujin

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007, 04:27:27 AM »
looks like i've another hunt to go on now - thanks to you :P

not that hard to find, neither expensive. don't spend more than $5 on it :)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 04:32:59 AM by Tatsujin »
www.pcedaisakusen.net

Turbo D

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2007, 08:34:25 AM »
I'm just putting the finishing touches on a new 'feature' for my site that details the differences between the three versions.

Here's a sneak peak.

dude, this is so awesome! I can't wait to show my friends  :D

PhilBiker

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2007, 08:40:15 AM »
The original "Fighting Street" CD is where it's at.
Wonk-wonk-wonk.  Where are your true friends at times like this?  Right here!  Wonk-wonk-wonk.

gundarN

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2007, 09:05:25 AM »
The images certainly make the Mega Drive version look the weakest.

I grew up with the Super Nintendo and am quite surprised that the PCE is as good as it is.

Can't beat the arcade original (at least the CPS2 versions) though.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2007, 09:18:25 AM »
The original "Fighting Street" CD is where it's at.

And by "it" you mean garbage, right?  If not, then you deserve a neck punch.  :)
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Turbo D

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2007, 09:19:57 AM »
the pce version sick pwns the snes version, imo. The snes version looks so bland color wise. I think the genny has better color than the snes in the comparisons, imo.

BonkThis

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2007, 09:43:14 AM »

it's just marked in the right down corner of each pic :)

LOL yea, but I have no clue what the first 2 logo's mean, ive never seen them before.. I should be ashamed i know  :-&