Author Topic: Analyzing Street Fighter 2: CE on why it is so great.  (Read 2605 times)

td741

Re: Analyzing Street Fighter 2: CE on why it is so great.
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2007, 10:02:25 AM »
MD = Megadrive
the "Paw" = Super Famicom
HE = PC Engine

BonkThis

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2007, 10:24:32 AM »
thanks I dont know how I avoided those logos for so long LOL

Turbo D

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2007, 10:26:32 AM »
don't worry about it man, those logos are from japan  :wink:

SNKNostalgia

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2007, 10:38:04 AM »
By the way, the SNES has a Sony sound chip, and the Genesis a Yamaha.

It seemed like Yamaha did sound for a lot of systems back then so I still do that. Yeah, SCP700 Sony made sound chip for SNES. Still it has this SNESish sound all the time. It kinda interferes with feel of the sound effects and music.

The colors do seem more faded on the SNES, I wonder why they would do that when the system had full 256 color support and a really high color palette to choose from. Even the Genesis version used more solid blues, reds and greens for example. Of course the Genesis version didn't have as good color transitions with the shades and stuff.

I keep hearing that the Genesis version of Super SF2 is better than the SNES version for some reason. I know the meg count for the SNES is 32Mbit and the Genesis is 40Mbit, maybe that has something to do with it. Also 20Mbit for the PCE SF2:CE is really amazing for that system. Imagine if they upped it some more. This game shows how far they could have gone with the PCE HuCards, not to mention what the arcade card was capable of.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2007, 11:54:15 AM »
Black Tiger used the Japanese logos for each system since, ummm, there's no US version of the TurboGrafx version I guess.

Quote from: CosMind

hey, don't blame capcom.  blame the piece of nuts sound chip in the sega genesis.  uggghhh...

Capcom is to blame.  The Genesis has superior voice capabilities compared to the TurboGrafx.

Turbo D

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2007, 11:56:35 AM »
I blame the lazy programmers as well

Joe Redifer

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2007, 12:00:45 PM »
OK... lazy and probably inexperienced programmers on Capcom's D-rated team.  Capcom and Konami never really gave the Genesis their best efforts.

Tatsujin

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2007, 12:12:04 PM »
except of Contra the (Hardcore) Hardcorps!! that one uses de MD hardware to its max.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Joe Redifer

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2007, 12:26:08 PM »
In the area of animation, speed and gameplay I pretty much agree.  But the sound & music was extremely lacking (re: awful) and the graphics a bit more murky than they should have been... though that could have been on purpose.

Tatsujin

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2007, 12:54:00 PM »
yeah, the BGs sometime looking some kind of NESish. But the sound rox the hell out, especially stage 2.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Joe Redifer

« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2007, 12:58:27 PM »
I keep hearing the first stage theme in my mind.  The guitar sounds like a kazoo or maybe a swarm of angry bees.   I have the game and I'll have to play again.  By the way, which stage 2 are you talking about?

spenoza

« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2007, 02:06:17 PM »
I think the Genesis can do decent sound samples if they are isolated, but I've noticed the more sound samples that are used the more quickly the quality seems to drop. I suspect the Genesis sound chip has some operational quirks whereby if you don't program it just so it bites. Even some Sega-made games that are great otherwise actually seem to suffer from really low quality sound.
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

nodtveidt

« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2007, 02:17:34 PM »
The colors do seem more faded on the SNES, I wonder why they would do that when the system had full 256 color support and a really high color palette to choose from.
Having a high palette count means little if the developers don't know how to use it. :)

Black Tiger

« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2007, 02:50:58 PM »
I think the Genesis can do decent sound samples if they are isolated, but I've noticed the more sound samples that are used the more quickly the quality seems to drop. I suspect the Genesis sound chip has some operational quirks whereby if you don't program it just so it bites. Even some Sega-made games that are great otherwise actually seem to suffer from really low quality sound.

I just think its a developer by developer issue. Not every developer is going to be great at everything and clear samples weren't a big priority back then.

Just as many great PCE games lack in certain areas (DEII's PSG, Forgotten Worlds' flat bg's, FEOE II's lip sync), any Genesis game could have nice clear voices if the right person was involved.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

spenoza

« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2007, 02:56:15 PM »
This discussion brings something else to mind. The SNES had higher sound sample rates and the SNES and PCE had expanded color capacities. Why were the Genesis versions of these games larger than their counterparts on the other systems? Does the Genesis rely on non-optimal sound and graphics data formats? Does it have larger code? But the game code should really be inconsequential here compared to the sound and gfx assets. Someone want to help me out here?
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c