Author Topic: Analyzing Street Fighter 2: CE on why it is so great.  (Read 2583 times)

spenoza

Re: Analyzing Street Fighter 2: CE on why it is so great.
« Reply #75 on: July 27, 2007, 10:36:40 AM »
I think the Atari 2600 peripheral called the Kid Vid, made by Coleco, has the best audio EVAR. You connected a special tape deck to the Atari and at certain points in the game the audio would be played from the tape deck. And because it's analog there are no sampling rate complications! Atari/early 1980's FTW!
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

Joe Redifer

« Reply #76 on: July 27, 2007, 10:39:04 AM »
Tales of Symphonia was a MASSIVE UNBELIEVABLE 48 MEGS!  That's almost bigger than my penis!  WOW!  MINDBLOWING!  You had to have the power company wire 3-phase power feeds into every area of your home just to run such a powerful game.  The game had many, many voices plus a song.  I don't think any single sample was 16 megs big, though.

PS - I PWN this game.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 10:41:17 AM by Joe Redifer »

Black Tiger

« Reply #77 on: July 27, 2007, 02:04:04 PM »
Tales of Symphonia was a MASSIVE UNBELIEVABLE 48 MEGS!  That's almost bigger than my penis!  WOW!  MINDBLOWING!  You had to have the power company wire 3-phase power feeds into every area of your home just to run such a powerful game.  The game had many, many voices plus a song.  I don't think any single sample was 16 megs big, though.

PS - I PWN this game.

I don't think that any of ToS's single samples were 41 seconds long either. :wink:

I think the Atari 2600 peripheral called the Kid Vid, made by Coleco, has the best audio EVAR. You connected a special tape deck to the Atari and at certain points in the game the audio would be played from the tape deck. And because it's analog there are no sampling rate complications! Atari/early 1980's FTW!

The Intelivoice for Intellivision did some great voice samples. The audio samples were played from the cart. Because it's digital the voices can be played at any time in any order! Mattel/early 80's FTW! :P
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 02:07:06 PM by Black Tiger »
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

spenoza

« Reply #78 on: July 27, 2007, 03:08:46 PM »
The Kid Vid could rewind y'know. It just means you had to wait a few seconds for some tracks to start playing...   :(
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

Keranu

« Reply #79 on: July 27, 2007, 06:30:39 PM »
IntelliVoice is so badass. 8)
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Joe Redifer

« Reply #80 on: July 27, 2007, 06:33:09 PM »
Quote from: Black Tiger

I don't think that any of ToS's single samples were 41 seconds long either. :wink:

The opening song is well over two minutes long, and the vocal part is about 1:05 long.

PhilBiker

« Reply #81 on: July 28, 2007, 01:44:33 AM »
What Strength!  But don't forget there are many guys like you all over the world!
http://philip.hammfamily.org/turbo_sound_collage.mp3
Wonk-wonk-wonk.  Where are your true friends at times like this?  Right here!  Wonk-wonk-wonk.

ceti alpha

« Reply #82 on: September 07, 2007, 08:00:42 PM »
hehehe. Those Fighting Street samples are hilarious. Now if I could only pull off some moves in that game.   ](*,)

But the Gate of Thunder samples are sweet. I love how the voice is so direct.

"Game Over"....now get out

I was just watchin' Soldier Blade on Youtube. I like the voice samples in that game.  :) Come to think of it, I really have to get that game. lol. Argh!! So many games to get. hehe

But for voice samples, nothing beats Sinistar. I posted a link in another thread with all the voice samples.  :)

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

Joe Redifer

« Reply #83 on: September 07, 2007, 11:36:17 PM »
Where?

esteban

« Reply #84 on: September 08, 2007, 01:20:48 AM »
hehehe. Those Fighting Street samples are hilarious. Now if I could only pull off some moves in that game.   ](*,)

I was just watchin' Soldier Blade on Youtube. I like the voice samples in that game.  :) Come to think of it, I really have to get that game. lol. Argh!! So many games to get. hehe

But for voice samples, nothing beats Sinistar. I posted a link in another thread with all the voice samples.  :)
Sinistar is great.

But, if we limit ourselves to consoles only, I don't think anything can beat Atari 2600 taunting and mocking us:

"Chicken, fight like a robot!"

My friend and I thought that was the koolest thing. And the fact that the game whupped our collective asses made it that much more poignant.

Berzerk.
  |    | 

ceti alpha

« Reply #85 on: September 08, 2007, 07:09:03 AM »
Sorry Joe, I guess I should have said where I posted that link. It's a pretty big forum, eh... #-o  :P I posted the link in "What popular games do you love to hate." But here's the link anyway: http://onastick.net/drew/sinistar/

Oh Bezerk. How I love and hate thee.  ](*,) I would play that game for hours upon hours. haha. My older brother and I had a high score competition. So I would come home from school or where ever and find our little gaming TV left on with his high score flashing in my face. Then I knew I had some Atari 2600 time ahead of me. We eventually took it too far. lol. IT NEVER ENDS!!!!

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

SignOfZeta

« Reply #86 on: September 08, 2007, 08:11:52 AM »
that counts the same for the PCE in term of "really amazing stuff" > e.g. Sapphire in '95, which even toped anything on any 16-bitter at that time (Neo Geo exclusive).

Yeah, not really. Yoshi's Island is more impressive from both an artistic, and technical level. Granted the subject matter is different, and the game's can't really be compared. Scrambled Valkyrie is also nicer looking, for the most part. I would even say that Assault Suit Valken, and R-Type III are better looking than Sapphire. Sapphire is rather bland and boring too often. Also, the gameplay is just middle of the road, and the sound is actually kind of average, and in some cases verging on horrible.

Honestly, while Sapphire is impressive in many ways, I also have a "its not *that* great" attitude about it since there are several other PCE shooters I like more, graphically and otherwise, like Star Parodia, and Gate of Thunder.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2007, 08:16:12 AM by SignOfZeta »

SignOfZeta

« Reply #87 on: September 08, 2007, 08:15:02 AM »
Quote from: Joe Redifer

PS - I PWN this game.

I think you are talking about Tales of Phantasia. Symphonia is the far-too-long-to-actually-finish Gamecube game, which is like...3 gigs or so.

I was enjoying that thing for the first 30 hours or so, but then I realized I was still on the first disc, and that there was no way I would ever stay interested in it. I wish they'd just make games shorter.

Kitsunexus

« Reply #88 on: September 08, 2007, 08:33:15 AM »
The SNES sound chip rules, but the reason why the SNES version's sound sucks IMO is because they used SHIT samples. The arcade used a Yamaha FM chip, so that's why the music in the Genesis version is dead on, and the Alpha games are all samples but they're GOOD samples. The SNES's crap samples is what makes the music sound shitty. They must have had a generic Casio or something.

They could have just did like what Irem did for SNES Gunforce, take samples from the FM chip and make an FM "emulation", if done right that can sound really good.

And yeah Tales Of Phantasia RULES. I didn't know GC games were 3GB though, I thought GC discs were 1GB.

Keranu

« Reply #89 on: September 08, 2007, 09:31:39 AM »

Sinistar is great.

But, if we limit ourselves to consoles only, I don't think anything can beat Atari 2600 taunting and mocking us:

"Chicken, fight like a robot!"

My friend and I thought that was the koolest thing. And the fact that the game whupped our collective asses made it that much more poignant.

Berzerk.

Hahaha, that sounds awesome! Reminds me of Blazing Star for Neo Geo when the game displays text that says "Hey poor player!".
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).