Author Topic: J.J. and Jeff (Kato & Ken Chan) Help!  (Read 642 times)

Keranu

J.J. and Jeff (Kato & Ken Chan) Help!
« on: August 10, 2007, 09:31:41 AM »
I've been playing J.J. and Jeff lately on my Turbo Express and I have came across a part in the game I was having trouble with before. At level 6-4b (the "b" represents the second part of the stage, of course), there is a part with three platforms hovering over emptiness and at the end of the third platform, there is a tall brick wall that is too high to jump over. I've tried kicking some of the bricks and one of them shakes the screen as if something was triggered, but I didn't notice anything. I'm thinking what I have to do is kick in the air somewhere above the platform for a piece of ledge to appear like earlier in the level, but I posted this thread here incase my plan backfires! Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

esteban

Re: J.J. and Jeff (Kato & Ken Chan) Help!
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 03:12:02 PM »
I've been playing J.J. and Jeff lately on my Turbo Express and I have came across a part in the game I was having trouble with before. At level 6-4b (the "b" represents the second part of the stage, of course), there is a part with three platforms hovering over emptiness and at the end of the third platform, there is a tall brick wall that is too high to jump over. I've tried kicking some of the bricks and one of them shakes the screen as if something was triggered, but I didn't notice anything. I'm thinking what I have to do is kick in the air somewhere above the platform for a piece of ledge to appear like earlier in the level, but I posted this thread here incase my plan backfires! Any help would be greatly appreciated!
IIRC, fall into the emptiness, the bastards hid a spring in there, you'll bounce super high to the part you need to get to.

I am probably wrong! :) 
  |    | 

sunteam_paul

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 09:38:21 PM »
Hehe, this reminds me of when we used to tell a friend to 'jump down that hole' in games because it was a teleport / cheat / infinite lives or somesuch. Of course it never was but we had a good laugh afterwards.
The PC Engine Software Bible
Quote from: Tatsujin
I just felt in a hole!

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2007, 03:14:21 AM »
I always said- "super 1up world"

The greatest secret in the world!!

esteban

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2007, 04:17:04 AM »
Hehe, this reminds me of when we used to tell a friend to 'jump down that hole' in games because it was a teleport / cheat / infinite lives or somesuch. Of course it never was but we had a good laugh afterwards.
I know, it's always good for a laugh. Especially because when folks are REALLY desperate, they are willing to try anything.

But there really is a part like this in JJ & Jeff! Of course, I found it by accident (falling to my imminent death) when BOOOM!, up I flew from a hidden spring.

I'm not kidding about this!

Hopefully, some other person can verify this. Otherwise, I'll have to add this to my list of things "I have to prove before I die" :)
  |    | 

Keranu

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2007, 08:22:51 AM »
Nevermind, I figured it out. There was a hidden block you had to kick on like I thought and I was able to find the key I had trouble with too!

Steve I have discovered a few hidden springs throughout the game and most of them warped me back levels :S . I'll remember your post though incase I ever discover any moments like the one you described.

On a side note, I love this game more than ever! Such a brilliant game concept!
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2007, 08:04:39 PM »

Yeah, we'd always tell my friends to jump into certain pits in Super Mario 1 to get free lives.  Good times!

shubibiman

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2007, 09:11:48 PM »
I've been playing Kato&Ken Chan a lot lately and I have to say that it's one of the best run & jump games for the system. Still I think it's a little bit difficult (well, I'm more into shooters and I really suck at thoses kind of games). And yes, there really are warp zones that can be reached by falling down holes.
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

esteban

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2007, 04:32:54 AM »
Finally, JJ & Jeff is getting some love :). I suppose the folks who like to bash it all the time are tired of ranting about it. :)
  |    | 

Keranu

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2007, 03:13:52 PM »
Just wanted to say that I finally beat this game some nights ago. The instruction manual lied and said there are 8 stages when there was only 6! I was a little disappointed to see the ending so early, but it was a very enjoyable experience nonetheless, especially the extremely fun and challenging level set up of stage 6! Unfortunately since my Turbo Express has really quiet sound, I couldn't really hear the ending music and it sounded like it was a nice tune too :( . I'll probably play through it again since I plan on making a walkthrough for it eventually.

Black Tiger

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2007, 05:09:37 PM »
Keranu, you inspired me to finally give JJ & Jeff a real play for the first time in years and now with the benefit of hindsight, I can honestly say that not only is it a great game in its own right, but one of the best platformers of its time. :D

Seriously, anyone who doesn't think its at least good, really must not have given it enough of a real chance to reach the challenging areas with some amazing platforming gameplay. [-X
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Keranu

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2007, 05:44:37 PM »
That's one of the sweetest posts ever made about J.J. and Jeff right there, my friend. You're completely right too, it's just an amazing platform game! The level set ups are just so fun; it reminds me of a more wacky version of Super Mario Bros.

nat

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2007, 05:48:12 PM »
 :roll:

Shall I call the Crete Super 8 Motel and reserve a room for you guys with a TG-16 and a copy of JJ & Jeff?

Keranu

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2007, 06:00:49 PM »
Only if it includes a love bed and a fridge for me to store my Dog n' Suds in ;) .

Turbo D

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2007, 06:04:41 PM »
The level set ups are just so fun; it reminds me of a more wacky version of Super Mario Bros.

Thats what I always liked about it   :)