Author Topic: Wii wishes it was PcEngine  (Read 1403 times)

Turbo D

Re: Wii wishes it was PcEngine
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2007, 01:38:05 AM »
Some dude put up a video online of a split screen comparison of wii and turbografx bomberman. You guys probably already saw it though, haha. For those who haven't here it is;

If you look closely, you can tell that the turbo version is superior. The wii version seems brighter, but its only because it lacks all the different colors and effects of the original.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2007, 02:19:40 AM »
Um...I must be blind because I can't see any meaningful difference at all. Probably because Youtube video quality is so shitty.

Black Tiger

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2007, 11:29:08 AM »
Some dude put up a video online of a split screen comparison of wii and turbografx bomberman. You guys probably already saw it though, haha. For those who haven't here it is;

If you look closely, you can tell that the turbo version is superior. The wii version seems brighter, but its only because it lacks all the different colors and effects of the original.

The Wii version seems brighter because it is brighter. You need an S-Video or better mod to see the real image quality of the original game.

The main difference in general between Wii VC versions and the original games on real hardware is that VC games use an awful blurring filter and have distorted audio.

Bomberman '93 VC however, is missing the rumble animation of the building in the intro, has a new bomb sound effect and a gameplay addition.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 11:30:51 AM by Black Tiger »
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Joe Redifer

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2007, 03:09:31 PM »
Which version are we listening to on the Youtube video?  I know any emulation which the HORRIBLY SHITTY Digital Eclipse works on always has shitty sound effects because they just can't seem to get the sound emulation correct on anything they do.  Digital Eclipse is comprised of underskilled amateurs.  They must be really cheap to hire, because Konami and Capcom keep using them to make their broken arcade emulation collections.

Black Tiger

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2007, 04:16:25 PM »
YouTube changes the audio quality when it converts the video.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.com/bomberman93vctitle.mp3
an mp3 of Bomberman 93 VC's title screen music.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2007, 04:21:31 PM »
Alright, now post the Turbo version of the same audio so we may contrast and compare.

PS - The TurboGrafx-16 is better than the Wii.  Always will be.  And I'm talking the whole system, not just the Virtual Console.  FACT!

Black Tiger

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2007, 04:35:49 PM »
Alright, now post the Turbo version of the same audio so we may contrast and compare.

PS - The TurboGrafx-16 is better than the Wii.  Always will be.  And I'm talking the whole system, not just the Virtual Console.  FACT!

The title screen isn't the best example, other than the new bomb sound effect. http://www.superpcenginegrafx.com/bomberman93tgtitle.mp3
the Turbo version. The battle music better contrasts the two, since the VC version stutters in spots.

I've got something in the works that'll shed light on the difference in sound quality (hopefully) very soon.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2007, 04:39:14 PM »
I don't think that's a new sound effect.  I think it's the same one, just bad emulation.  It's a synth sound, not a digitized one.  Still better than what Digital Eclipse usually does with their low standards.  Did Hudson write their own PCE emulator for the Virtua Console?

Turbo D

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2007, 04:51:48 PM »
The TurboGrafx-16 is better than the Wii.  Always will be.  And I'm talking the whole system, not just the Virtual Console.  FACT!

I second that

gundarN

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2007, 08:21:09 PM »
I guess I'm not the only person who gets a little crestfallen when the Digital Eclipse logo appears when I first start a game up.

Turbo D

« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2007, 11:13:28 PM »
I don't think that I've played games by them, but then again, I don't own the wii, haha.

Black Tiger

« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2007, 12:36:24 AM »
I don't think that's a new sound effect.  I think it's the same one, just bad emulation.  It's a synth sound, not a digitized one.  Still better than what Digital Eclipse usually does with their low standards.  Did Hudson write their own PCE emulator for the Virtua Console?

Well, even if its not a newly crafted effect, its the same difference since it sounds noticibly different. Its almost the same, except in a higher overall pitch with other distortions. Like a voice clip changed from a man's voice to a woman's. :P

TR0N

« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2007, 04:07:14 PM »
I guess I'm not the only person who gets a little crestfallen when the Digital Eclipse logo appears when I first start a game up.
Heh i know i do since there emulation isn't all ways perfect.

Still take,what ya can get for collections these days for old games.

I wish they would put more "effort into it though they are lazy about it...

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Joe Redifer

« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2007, 06:39:48 PM »
Their emulation is never perfect.

Black Tiger, the sound can best be described as the same, only different.

Keranu

« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2007, 11:39:47 AM »
I wish I was a PC Engine.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).