Author Topic: Wii wishes it was PcEngine  (Read 1394 times)

Keranu

Re: Wii wishes it was PcEngine
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2007, 12:18:55 PM »
We can't play our consoles when there is nothing worthwhile to play!  That's like having a working Ford Pinto on a boat out at sea.
Are Virtual Console games not worthwhile to play and is YouTube-ing on the Wii not a good idea? Beats paying even more for a console that won't even boot up or for a console that will make you go broke. ;) In the end, we should all own Pippin Atmarks though.

Quote from: Joe Redifer
Keranu, chaoticjelly is looking for you.  See the NES controller thread in the Turbo repair forum.  Jesus christ where have you been?  And since you feel that nothing should ever be moderated, I'll just throw this out there:  You god damn f*cking son of a f*ck ass!  Your mom is a whore and she had anal sex with George W Bush last night.  f*cking f*ck f*ck!
chaoticjelly (what a cool name!) sent me a PM that I responded to awhile back. Do you have a video of my mother with Bush? If so, UPLOAD!
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

nat

« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2007, 01:07:05 PM »
Is your mom hot?

nat

« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2007, 08:51:41 PM »
No comment, huh?

Anyway, I just bought a Wii today. I paid $30 extra to extend the warranty from 1 year to 2 years. Just in case.

I haven't set it up yet, however.

Turbo D

« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2007, 11:08:39 PM »
I will buy the wii when animal crossing wii comes out  :wink: 

sooo, is that guys mom hot?, haha, j/k

nat

« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2007, 07:42:05 AM »
I set it up last night/early this morning.

I played a bit of Wii Sports and I'm really digging the controls. It's such a different experience than other video game systems. They should have kept the name "Revolution" though. Wii. What the f*ck is that? f*cking retarded, that's what.

However, my first impressions on unpacking the box were.... what the f*ck? My friend bought an XBOX 360 a couple weeks ago and of course it came with a component video cable included. So naturally, seeing as this is 2007, I expected S-VIDEO at the very least. It didn't even cross my mind the Wii would come with anything less. But no. The Wii comes with a vintage composite video cable.

Video quality aside, this is a problem because the only remaining inputs I have free are component. So now I have to physically "share" VIDEO4's composite input with the Dreamcast and plug/unplug cables all the time depending on what system I'm playing. What a f*cking pain.

I already have a full 4-way S-VIDEO switcher on VIDEO1, and a full composite switcher on VIDEO2.

The Wii uses some goofy proprietary connector on the console end like all Nintendo systems after the NES. Can I buy a component video cable with this connector somewhere?

Joe, you're a videophile and you own a Wii. What did you do?

Keranu

« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2007, 08:51:58 AM »
I set it up last night/early this morning.

I played a bit of Wii Sports and I'm really digging the controls. It's such a different experience than other video game systems.
I love Wii Sports. One of the best modern games I've played, seriously. It's simple and fun like games were back in the day, except it has it's own modern edge.

Quote from: fly
The Wii uses some goofy proprietary connector on the console end like all Nintendo systems after the NES. Can I buy a component video cable with this connector somewhere?
Not sure if you know tihs, but the previous Nintendo connectors won't work on a Wii as far as I know, even though they look the same.
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

SignOfZeta

« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2007, 10:30:21 AM »
However, my first impressions on unpacking the box were.... what the f*ck? My friend bought an XBOX 360 a couple weeks ago and of course it came with a component video cable included. So naturally, seeing as this is 2007, I expected S-VIDEO at the very least.

S-Video is being phased out, not in. I'm pretty sure there has never been a game machine in history that came with an s-video cable, so I have no idea why you would expect such a thing.

It didn't even cross my mind the Wii would come with anything less. But no. The Wii comes with a vintage composite video cable.

The 360 is a $400 system made at a massive loss, the Wii is a $250 system that comes with a game, and is made at a small profit. The 360 is made for nerdball otaku that have money to blow on the latest of everything because they have no girl, the Wii is made for families that spend all that cash on gas for the minivan they can't afford to make payments on. You won't get the same stuff. Most people do not have a free component connector on their TV. If they even have one at all, its taken up by a DVD player, or an older game system.

Video quality aside, this is a problem because the only remaining inputs I have free are component.

You might be the only one in the world with this problem.

So now I have to physically "share" VIDEO4's composite input with the Dreamcast and plug/unplug cables all the time depending on what system I'm playing. What a f*cking pain.
Why the f*ck are you playing the DC in composite when s-video, and more importantly VGA, are availible? Does your TV not have VGA input? This is 2007, as you pointed out, get with the program! :)

The Wii uses some goofy proprietary connector on the console end like all Nintendo systems after the NES.

Yes, just like the PS, PS2, PS3, Saturn, Dreamcast, Megadrive 2, Xbox, XBox 360, Jaguar, etc etc. Game systems rarely come with standard sockets.

Can I buy a component video cable with this connector somewhere?

Gee, do you think, maybe? You can buy 3rd party ones for $10. Try that on a 360.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 10:33:31 AM by SignOfZeta »

MrFulci

« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2007, 12:15:22 PM »
SignofZeta,

I wouldn't say S-Video is in the process of being phased out. As long as there are composite/RCA video connections on Televisions, the S-video will be around, for the most part. Nearly any recent manufactured television i've seen, that features the 3 RCA inputs, also features and S-Video input.

I don't see S-Video going anywhere, 'til HDMI and similar are on every television.

Soemthing I related to television that I see as in the process fo being phased out, are CRT displays. I'm curious, 5 years from now how much percentage of total televisions will be CRT's.

Anyway, it's not too surprising to me that a budget system (Wii) included the minimum video connection. More money can be spent by the purchaser to acquire a better connection, which means more money for Nintedo.

Though released years ago, I don't recal any of the PS2's or Gamecubes including anything other than composite video connection.
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

Joe Redifer

« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2007, 12:16:01 PM »
Quote from: nat

Joe, you're a videophile and you own a Wii. What did you do?

OMG!  D00d!!!!!!  wat r u thinking?  hurry ur azz to here or here and git u-self hi-kwality cablz at insane prices LOL!  Seriously though, monoprice is very good.  They are insanely cheap and the build quality of their cables is very high.  Their Wii component cables are probably better than Nintendo's (which is what I have and cost $30 I think).  I bought my component cables before I even bought a Wii.  Don't forget to go into the system settings and enable 480p once you have it all hooked up.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 12:18:17 PM by Joe Redifer »

Turbo D

« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2007, 12:23:14 PM »
wow, those prices are super good

Keranu

« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2007, 12:54:18 PM »
Zeta made a good point; I can't think of any consoles that came with s-video! That seems weird to me!

Black Tiger

« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2007, 01:48:06 PM »
Zeta made a good point; I can't think of any consoles that came with s-video! That seems weird to me!

I guess Keranu's never seen a PC-FX (or Neo Geo CD). :wink:

The PS3 comes with composite.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

nat

« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2007, 03:44:36 PM »
Zeta is being a smartass.

However, my first impressions on unpacking the box were.... what the f*ck? My friend bought an XBOX 360 a couple weeks ago and of course it came with a component video cable included. So naturally, seeing as this is 2007, I expected S-VIDEO at the very least.

S-Video is being phased out, not in. I'm pretty sure there has never been a game machine in history that came with an s-video cable, so I have no idea why you would expect such a thing.

My PC-FX came with S-VIDEO.

And composite is older than S-VIDEO. Why hasn't that been phased out yet?

Video quality aside, this is a problem because the only remaining inputs I have free are component.

You might be the only one in the world with this problem.

That may be, but it's still a problem!

So now I have to physically "share" VIDEO4's composite input with the Dreamcast and plug/unplug cables all the time depending on what system I'm playing. What a f*cking pain.

Why the f*ck are you playing the DC in composite when s-video, and more importantly VGA, are availible? Does your TV not have VGA input? This is 2007, as you pointed out, get with the program! :)

I haven't had the Dreamcast long... It has one of those stupid proprietary connectors, too, so I haven't gotten around to getting a cable that will work with S-VIDEO.

And no, my TV does not have VGA input. It's only a little more than a year old, too, so it's doubtful I'll be getting a new one anytime soon.

The Wii uses some goofy proprietary connector on the console end like all Nintendo systems after the NES.

Yes, just like the PS, PS2, PS3, Saturn, Dreamcast, Megadrive 2, Xbox, XBox 360, Jaguar, etc etc. Game systems rarely come with standard sockets.

No, game systems rarely come with standard sockets anymore. Shitloads of systems came with them from the 32-bit era backwards.

And if you ask me, they all still should.

OMG!  D00d!!!!!!  wat r u thinking?  hurry ur azz to here or here and git u-self hi-kwality cablz at insane prices LOL!  Seriously though, monoprice is very good.  They are insanely cheap and the build quality of their cables is very high.  Their Wii component cables are probably better than Nintendo's (which is what I have and cost $30 I think).  I bought my component cables before I even bought a Wii.  Don't forget to go into the system settings and enable 480p once you have it all hooked up.

Thanks Joe, I'll check it out.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2007, 03:49:39 PM »
The original 3DO came with an S-video jack.  The Wondermega came with an S-video jack.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2007, 04:00:36 PM »

I guess Keranu's never seen a PC-FX (or Neo Geo CD). :wink:

The PS3 comes with composite.

I used to have a Neo CD (second model), and I'm pretty sure it had no s-video cable with it. I think it had the connector on the back, but still, that's not a cable.

As for the PC-FX coming with s-video, I'll take your word for it. With as many weird f*cked up stupid things that are true of the PCFX, I'm not surprised.