Author Topic: Wii wishes it was PcEngine  (Read 1396 times)

Keranu

Re: Wii wishes it was PcEngine
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2007, 05:22:45 PM »
Zeta made a good point; I can't think of any consoles that came with s-video! That seems weird to me!

I guess Keranu's never seen a PC-FX (or Neo Geo CD). :wink:

The PS3 comes with composite.
Of course I have! I don't remember my PC-FX coming with s-video though. I think Xiphas' Neo Geo CD did come with s-video on the other hand, but I'm not sure.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Black Tiger

« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2007, 05:36:38 PM »
I think that the only reason S-Video got skipped over as a default connection is that consoles started using general-cable-connection-out dohickies like the SNES by the time many TVs even supported it.

And console makers are so cheap, that the 360 is the only system to ever ship with anything packed-in above composite (even Core package comes with composite).
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

nat

« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2007, 11:53:43 AM »
I got my Wii hooked up to the 'net via my Mac's AirPort card. Yay me!

Now to download some VC games....

nat

« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2007, 07:42:30 PM »
I downloaded my first VC game: Space Harrier II. It's been the better part of 10 years (at least) since I last played through this game, or played it at all for that matter. But that's only because it was around '97 or '98 I left my Genesis outside in a box at my dad's house and all the metal components had rusted by the time I picked it up and tried to use it again. The years gone by have managed to form a nostalgic spot in my heart for the game despite the fact it pales in comparison to the original (or even the TurboGrafx port of the original). A great game by any means, however, though it lacks the difficulty of the original. Still, I feel it was $8 well spent. Now I have a "virtual" copy I can enjoy forever, safe and secure from the threat of rust and corrosion.

I probably will never bother with any of the other systems supported by VC since I still own working versions of all the consoles. For some reason I never got around to replacing the Genesis... More than likely because there are only a handful of games I really actually love that didn't appear on other systems. Through the power of the Virtual Console and my Dreamcast I can now once again enjoy those old favorites without yet another console taking up space and precious video inputs.

Come to think of it, I lied. When they get around to releasing Magical Chase (US version) for VC I will probably splurge for the $8 download fee rather than tapping my retirement fund for an actual cart.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2007, 08:01:35 PM »
In Space Harrier II, try this:  Play it from beginning to end on EASY difficulty (I think if you press A and Start (Genesis buttons, not Wii) on the title screen you get the menu selection).  Pretty easy to beat, eh?  Now go and select HARD.  Play through to the end.  Pretty easy to beat, eh?  Oh waitaminute!  Did the difficulty even change?  I personally can't tell if it's any harder or not.  Can you?

That game has perfect voice reproduction, though.  Perfect.  Not even one hint of digital artifacting.

Turbo D

« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2007, 08:27:11 PM »
I've noticed that in a lot of games where the difficult doesn't really change.

nat

« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2007, 08:31:03 PM »
In Space Harrier II, try this:  Play it from beginning to end on EASY difficulty (I think if you press A and Start (Genesis buttons, not Wii) on the title screen you get the menu selection).  Pretty easy to beat, eh?  Now go and select HARD.  Play through to the end.  Pretty easy to beat, eh?  Oh waitaminute!  Did the difficulty even change?  I personally can't tell if it's any harder or not.  Can you?

Hahaha, I've never tried that. In fact, I've only ever played it on "Normal" mode (the default) as far as I can recall. I'll give "Hard" a try later.

And the buttons are mapped as follows: Genesis button A is A on the Wii controller, B is 1 and C is 2. Start is mapped to the "+" button that's right.... where the Start button should be. I got to that mode selection menu by accident earlier when I was trying to figure out what was mapped to what (who reads documentation, anyway?). I'm really impressed by the way the Wii controller, er, remote feels & plays when turned on it's side in a "classic" orientation. I was thinking buying one of those "Classic Controllers" was going to be a must but now I've changed my mind.

That game has perfect voice reproduction, though.  Perfect.  Not even one hint of digital artifacting.

I've always marveled at that. Why didn't they share that space-age technology with other developers?

I'd forgotten how loud and abrasive the voice is (or maybe it's a side effect of the VC emulation?) but I nearly fell off my couch after I got hit the first time and I was abruptly instructed to "GET READY!" The voice was clearly several decibel levels louder than the music and other sound effects.

The voice reproduction in the TG port of the original is so pathetic it's inexcusable. Why did they even bother?

Turbo D

« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2007, 08:49:08 PM »

I've always marveled at that. Why didn't they share that space-age technology with other developers?

I think that those other developers were just homos who secretly wanted the genesis to fail

Joe Redifer

« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2007, 10:35:02 PM »
That must be an emulation glitch because the voice isn't that much louder than the music.  The Nintendo Wii is not powerful enough to handle Genesis-quality voices.

Turbo D

« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2007, 11:36:12 PM »
another reason why the wii wishes it was PcEngine  :wink:

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2007, 08:19:45 AM »
the Wii is made for families that spend all that cash on gas for the minivan they can't afford to make payments on.

That comment is SO me!   Damn, you hit it right on the head dude!!

lol

nat

« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2007, 09:33:30 AM »
the Wii is made for families that spend all that cash on gas for the minivan they can't afford to make payments on.

That comment is SO me!   Damn, you hit it right on the head dude!!

lol

Don't be a hater. The Wii is awesome.

And no, I don't own a minivan.

Keranu

« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2007, 10:23:03 AM »
Hahaha, yes I got a kick out of this too! Shadow Blasters has this same problem too.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

nat

« Reply #58 on: October 03, 2007, 06:19:20 PM »
Anyone got the Metal Slug compilation for the Wii? My friend has it available for cheap [used] at his store and I'm contemplating picking it up. I like the Metal Slug games but don't own any currently. Since I don't have a Neo Geo, this seems to be the next best thing.

How faithfully emulated are the games?

Turbo D

« Reply #59 on: October 03, 2007, 06:41:16 PM »
I have it for psp. Its pretty good; like playing mame with load times, haha.