Author Topic: Big Game Matchup THREE  (Read 850 times)

Turbo D

Re: Big Game Matchup THREE
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2007, 06:51:44 AM »
As you can see, it's clearly mopping the floor with Lords in this here matchup.

this thread is still young, the tides will soon change. Thunder heads unite!

Keranu

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2007, 09:49:33 AM »
Either way, I couldn't see myself enjoying it more than Lords :) .

You'd be surprised. My favorite genre is the shooter genre, but Rondo of Blood is quite excellent.

As you can see, it's clearly mopping the floor with Lords in this here matchup.
I've played Rondo several times, just not with as much dedication. Also as mentioned, I'm not really a Castlevania fan.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

GUTS

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2007, 02:20:23 PM »
Lords of Thunder all the way, Castlevania is great but the challenge is toddler level which makes it the odd man out in the Castlevania franchise (especially finding all 100% which was so disappointingly easy that you'd have to be at least mildly retarded to not get it in a day or two).  Lords is just an amazing specimen of a horizontal shooter compared to any game for any system, while Castlevania is a really good platformer that is easily outclassed by other entries in the series.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2007, 03:14:49 PM »
But you can get 100% on LoT in a half an hour or so without even trying!  Plus, the programmers of LoT told me that the SNES was their favorite system of all time.

Turbo D

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2007, 03:49:20 PM »
nOoOooo, not the super nintendo  [-(

2X4

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2007, 11:32:05 AM »
Apple v Orange, hmmm.  I voted Rondo because I don't um, I don't really, you know, cough, like shooters that much COUGH.   :oops:  Sorry, I tend to prefer games that require a little bit more thought (but not much). 
The Turbo was Dual Core when Dual Core wasn't cool . . .

Joe Redifer

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2007, 01:07:50 PM »
Oranges are way better than apples.

Keranu

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2007, 02:27:20 PM »
Yes, oranges kick the sauce outta apples.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

SignOfZeta

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2007, 04:43:46 AM »
I voted for Rondo. I like LoT, but if it weren't for the ass-kicking heavy metal/fantasy theme nobody would even notice it. The way your dude/ship moves is really crappy too. Its a great game, but I like GoT a f*ckload more.

Rondo is the best "real" Dracula game Konami ever made. By, "real", I of course mean Drac games before the PS where they turned into super easy "gotta catch 'm all" games that just got easier and easier as the game went on.

Either way I think the arguments about which one "lasts" longer are stupid. Both of these games are ancient, and I still play both of them. LoT more than Rondo, since LoT is more "pick up a play" friendly. Since I mastered them ages ago its hard to tell at this point, but I don't think either of them are that easy. LoT is easier than most PCE shooters, and Rondo is easier than pretty much any earlier Drac game, but both took me a while to finish. If you don't know that all other other (more impressive armors) in LoT are worthless except Earth, you'll have a hard time figuring that out. Also, while it didn't take me too long to clear Rondo, it did take me about a week since Death is hard. If you play as Maria the game is a lot easier, but clearing it with Belmont is tough. Also, I always have a hard time figuring out how to get to level 2'. I always skip straight to 3' when I take the underground path for some reason. Also, I have a hard time remember how to get one of the girls. I think its the nun.

Either way, both are top 10 PCE games.

Black Tiger

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2007, 08:32:15 AM »
I think that Dracula X PCE's decent gameplay and proper stage design gets mistaken for a lack of dificulty. The reason why so many other Castlevanias are harder is because of cheap difficulty due to poor design and cruder gameplay.

SNES Drac XX is a good example of how you can't just drop the same Richter gameplay into any old levels. I know many people like the game, but I found myself getting tagged by enemies and then bouncing around (literally) uncontrolably until I died, Night Creatures style.

I don't believe that the average player can beeze through the game using only Richter. I do think that Drac X PCE gets overly familiar because its the one game everyone's supposed to play and it seems pretty easy to jump in and just play a stage or two in a single sitting.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Joe Redifer

« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2007, 01:29:42 PM »
I agree with Black Tiger about the stage design of many of the other Castlevanias.  It's so true!  Controls are another similar issue.  Although Castlevania games on the NES are great, the control isn't exactly super-responsive, you can't jump of stairs, etc etc etc.

As far as Lords of Thunder goes, I choose the fire armor (red) at the beginning of the game and never change it.

Black Tiger

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2007, 02:02:29 PM »
I like to pick the worst armor for each particular stage. Just picking earth armor for the whole game is like playing Drac X with Maria and calling it easy.

Turbo D

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2007, 03:02:59 PM »
I like the water armor  8)

Joe Redifer

« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2007, 05:43:59 PM »
Which one is Earth Armor?  I don't think I've ever used it.  I assume that's the green one?

Black Tiger

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2007, 06:02:36 PM »
Which one is Earth Armor?  I don't think I've ever used it.  I assume that's the green one?

Yes, its the green one. :P