Author Topic: How much do Kisado adapters normally go for?  (Read 1000 times)

vestcoat

Re: How much do Kisado adapters normally go for?
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2007, 07:45:28 PM »
I'm seriously considering selling mine if I can get $250 for it, though.

Whoa.  I saw one go for that much, but I wouldn't say it's a guarantee.  Even so, it's surprising what a difference a good listing and description can make.  When I got the US version of Terraforming, I sold my PC Engine disc and got $127 for what is typically a $40 game.  I gave a detailed description and history of the game with full compatibility info, the exact price of shipping, two nice pictures and let the auction go for 10 days.  I'm sure cheap Kisados will turn up occasionally in lots, BIN, or stupidly listed under something like "TurboGrphix" but most sellers could do pretty well considering the demand.

I'm going off on a tangent here, but I'm always surprised how nothing brings down the price of an auction like including a crappy old TurboGrafx in the picture.  A seller can have two hundred dollars worth of turbochips but when they add that worthless console to the lot they end up making ninety bucks...weird.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2007, 08:52:12 PM »
I can't remember how much I paid for my Barney converter back in the day, but it was probably less than $20 from the local store (this was in the 16-bit days).  It has never given me any grief at all until I tried the Arcade Card Pro.  Wouldn't work.  So I fixed the converter and now it does.  The converter works the first time every time without any issues.  It's small and I like it.  It rocks.  Those other adapters stick a mile out of the system for some odd reason which I can't comprehend.

vestcoat

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2007, 07:42:02 AM »
The 505 is probably the best looking converter--like the Barney but US-Duo black.  Strangely, the picture on the NEC compatibility guide is missing the cover.

Black Tiger

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2007, 08:22:17 AM »
I can't remember how much I paid for my Barney converter back in the day, but it was probably less than $20 from the local store (this was in the 16-bit days).  It has never given me any grief at all until I tried the Arcade Card Pro.  Wouldn't work.  So I fixed the converter and now it does.  The converter works the first time every time without any issues.  It's small and I like it.  It rocks.  Those other adapters stick a mile out of the system for some odd reason which I can't comprehend.

The orange kisado was designed to be compatible with all 3 North American systems. Apparently some of the shorter ones won't work with the TE or Duo.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

vestcoat

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2007, 09:58:12 AM »
The barney works, but the plastic case blocks the hucard lock from sliding into place on the Duo so you can't turn the power on.  This problem can be solved by smashing a hole in the back of the shell.
I don't know if the 505 has the same problem.

Turbo D

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2007, 12:59:57 PM »
my barney has all kinds of holes in the back shell  :(

Joe Redifer

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2007, 01:25:04 PM »
My Barney has a slot for the card-lock when the power flips on.  Not sure if the previous owner did that or if it came like that when it was new (I bought it used at a game store).  The purple casing comes apart easily so you can use it in a Duo or TE.  I'd definitely rather have a black case, though.

spenoza

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2007, 01:32:10 PM »
I thought the Kisado was designed before the Duo was sold in the US. Am I wrong?
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

Keranu

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2007, 05:41:49 PM »
My Barney has a slot for the card-lock when the power flips on.  Not sure if the previous owner did that or if it came like that when it was new (I bought it used at a game store).  The purple casing comes apart easily so you can use it in a Duo or TE.  I'd definitely rather have a black case, though.
No way, purple all the way!
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

SignOfZeta

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2007, 05:45:17 PM »
I thought the Kisado was designed before the Duo was sold in the US. Am I wrong?

I'm pretty sure it wasn't sold until 1995 or so. I could be totally wrong, but I'm pretty sure it owes its existence to the Turbo Mailing List, which itself doesn't predate the Duo (1992).

vestcoat

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2007, 06:57:49 PM »

I'm pretty sure it wasn't sold until 1995 or so. I could be totally wrong, but I'm pretty sure it owes its existence to the Turbo Mailing List, which itself doesn't predate the Duo (1992).

I think you're right, there's an old Turbo-list page about it here:
http://turbo.mindrec.com/files/kisado.info

It was sold through TZD so it would definitely be after 1994.

And considering this frickin' diving board just sold for $164, it would seem kisados are  in the $200 range.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=120150091606&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=002

Black Tiger

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2007, 12:28:07 AM »
I bought my orange Kisado with SFIICE from a store other than TZD before I got a Turbo Duo. It was summer, so unless it was the same year and the Duo got released several months earlier in the U.S. than in Canada, the Kisado does predate the Turbo Duo system.

Which means that the orange version was for the Turbo Express and the green is only supposed to work on the TG-16.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Turbo D

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2007, 12:33:43 AM »
My green diving board does not work on my duo. I've noticed that some diving boards are modified with a yellow wire that fixes the compatibility problem.

ceti alpha

« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2007, 07:29:11 AM »
Hey all.  :) New here. Just bought a Turbo Duo on Ebay after salivating  =P~ over them since they came out. haha. I only had a TG 16 back then. Anyway it is "near mint" and came with the original box. The seller was going to throw in Dracula X for $100 but I wanted to put that money towards other games. Either way I would have had regrets.  :-({|= heh

I bought Gate of Thunder 3..er..4 in one, 3 copies of Y's I and II (one is Jap), Fighting Street, Final Zone II and Valis II for around $60. Not bad I guess. I also nabbed a copy of Nexzr Special Summer Carnival....I LOVE IT!!!  :dance:  and a few HuCard games: Galaga 90, Raiden and Dungeon Explorer.

Anyways, sorry for the sidetrack there  :-# heh.

I think I actually saw that converter up there on Ebay. I was scratching my head over it for a little while, but I've banned myself from buying anymore stuff for a little while after my little Turbo spending spree. hehe. I'm glad I did too though. I would FAR soon grab a PC Engine or a Coregrafx II before buying something like that. Those converters look pretty fragile.

Anyways, I'm glad there is a nice site like this for us NEC fans.  :clap:

Ceti

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

Turbo D

« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2007, 07:43:07 AM »
thats a good deal you got on all those games. Prices seem to be going up on that 3 or 4 in one cd