Author Topic: Who has the worst taste in games?  (Read 1549 times)

Hobo Xiphas

Re: Who has the worst taste in games?
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2007, 11:06:23 AM »
I think Black_Tiger and Keranu have great taste in games, what are you weirdos talking about?

Joe Redifer

« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2007, 12:08:16 PM »
Black Tiger... you keep missing the point!

This diarrhea-guzzling "Masters" douchebag reviewed games looooooooooooong after they came out... looooooooooong after 32-bit systems came and went and probably reviewed them during the PS2 era.  How would he be blown away by the wicked graphics and awesome sound then like the GameFan tards did with Toshinden (Gamefan's scores were always too high and every game made them hard)?  It's not like he'll go back and say "Oh man, after playing a bunch more PS2 games, I find that the Genesis graphics don't stand up.  Since I am a dumbf*ck, I'm gonna lower the score.  Please don't read my reviews again since I may change the score at any time once I figure they are obsolete".  By your logic, every videogame review ever written is now obsolete and should be re-reviewed.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 12:09:57 PM by Joe Redifer »

Keranu

« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2007, 01:27:59 PM »
Oh man, Steve is catching up to me! I'm supposed to win!
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

GUTS

« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2007, 03:08:35 PM »
It's probably the cell phone games catapulting steve up through the rankings, I think he's the only person in north america who actually plays them.

nat

« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2007, 03:48:43 PM »
The thought of cell phone games gives me nightmares.

Like four or five years ago my wife took the state certification test (practical) to get her cosmetology license. They test you in some building like three hours from anywhere. We had to drive there the day before and stay the night in a motel since the test was at 8:00am and we didn't feel like getting up at 2:30am and trying to drive there the same day. So I dropped her at the testing place at 8:00 and went back to the motel. Checkout time was 11 so I slept until it was time to leave. Her test didn't end until 2pm so I sat in the car from 11am through 2pm with absolutely nothing to do but play the two cell phone games on my phone. The town was so small they didn't have anything but an industrial section, a gas station, Burger King, McDonald's and the motel. Seriously. There was nothing. I don't even think anybody lived there-- it was just one of those "freeway towns" right off I-5 for people to stop in on their way to better places.

Those were probably the worst three hours of my life. I will never touch another cell phone game again.

Black Tiger

« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2007, 03:53:33 PM »
Black Tiger... you keep missing the point!

This diarrhea-guzzling "Masters" douchebag reviewed games looooooooooooong after they came out... looooooooooong after 32-bit systems came and went and probably reviewed them during the PS2 era.  How would he be blown away by the wicked graphics and awesome sound then like the GameFan tards did with Toshinden (Gamefan's scores were always too high and every game made them hard)?  It's not like he'll go back and say "Oh man, after playing a bunch more PS2 games, I find that the Genesis graphics don't stand up.  Since I am a dumbf*ck, I'm gonna lower the score.  Please don't read my reviews again since I may change the score at any time once I figure they are obsolete".  By your logic, every videogame review ever written is now obsolete and should be re-reviewed.

But thats exactly what he did. After playing Gate of Thunder, his opinion of TF3 changed. I don't agree with it, but to him the bar was raised. Like say if someone loved sports games on Turbo/PCE, but hadn't played many on other consoles. I think its logical for them to look at some of those games differently after playing the best sports titles on Genesis and SNES.

Earlier, I mentioned how one might guage games within a genre on the same console different after they've played say, 60% of them as opposed to 15%. I see it happen with people who play more games within a so-called generation. Like how your Sega-CD scaling demo takes the thunder out of SNES Mode 7 effects.

And many people do find old games to look ugly once they've played the mighty PS2. Many people have a magic line, where at one point in time games automatically switched from ugly to gorgeous. For some, 8-bit is crap, but 16-bit rules. Some people love NES graphics, but hate the Atari/Coleco generation.

I'm not one of those people, but I take it into consideration when I do something like, on occasional actually try listening to one of those Retronauts episodes on 1up.com. I think that they would probably be more impressed by the SMS if they tried more than the 4 or 5 games they could even think of.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Joe Redifer

« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2007, 04:22:10 PM »
That's another reason why I don't feel games should get a "10" unless they really, really deserve it.  These days EGM hands them out like candy, as do most GameFAQs "reviewers".  I rate a game based on how much I enjoy it.  Playing Streets of Rage 2 didn't make me appreciate the first one any less or lower my opinion of it even though I think the sequel is better.  The only exception would be is if I said "OMG it's the best game EVAR!" since that can and will change all the time.

Emerald Rocker

« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2007, 11:25:17 AM »
The mistake here is in assuming reviewers (professional or otherwise) have more game-playing experience than anyone else.  They don't.  And, while experience can be an issue, there's something else to consider:

Some games get worse over time.  Some games get better over time.  And when you play a game for the very first time, it's impossible to tell which category it will fall into.

Contemporary reviews are often written as a sort of "time capsule", capturing the writer's enjoyment at a particular singular point.  Because of that, it's hard to gauge which games will become classics, and which ones will fade in power -- because the reviewer hasn't let enough time pass to know any better.  That's why it's so easy to point and laugh at old magazine reviews.

Just look at the Nights/SMB64 phenomenon... when they came out, both were highly rated, but SMB64 came out on top.  And the reasons given made a lot of sense (one being that it was potentially the start of a brand new genre, and thus more important).  But now a lot of people recall Nights more fondly, because it has never been replicated, and also because it's just much easier to pick up and play than SMB64.

After playing a game for the first time, a reviewer can make educated guesses, but they have no way to *know* a game's (1) genre impact, or (2) enduring replayability.  So if someone "re-reviews" a game, taking those two things into account, it's understandable that the score would change.  It doesn't mean they were stupid or hypocritical; it just means that new information is being considered, which wasn't available at the time of original review.

And that can happen no matter what game is being reviewed.  Unless you've let the game sit and fester in your mind for a year (or more), you may very well find yourself looking back and wondering what the hell you were thinking by giving it a 9, 10, or whatever.
Official member of the PCEFX 4K Post Club

Joe Redifer

« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2007, 12:52:32 PM »
Some good points, but then I must ask if you feel reviews have any worth at all?  I agree it is impossible to tell if a game will become a classic or not.  I reviewed Mike Tyson's Punch-Out on the NES a little while back and I gave it a 4.  I didn't find it very fun and I simply could not get in to it.  But that game is considered a classic (and overrated in my opinion).  People went apeshit  I write my reviews with what I think about the game at the time.  Like I said before, amending a review (but leaving all of the original text intact) would be the best way to go.  Just a new paragraph on why an opinion has changed over time.

Keranu

« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2007, 01:02:01 PM »
Mike Tyson's Punch-Out is rad to tha max!
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

esteban

« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2007, 01:30:05 PM »
Hahhahahahahhahaa!

I just got back from Boston (hence my absence from the boards for the past few days) and I was going through the threads... little did I know that this gem would be here!

I don't want to vote (it will taint the results, but if Keranu and B_T didn't vote for the same person, I should vote for the remaining candidate to cancel-out all of our votes)... but I want to see the results!

So, someone has to post the current results :).

Oh yeah: Scrabble Blast is an AWESOME as a cell-phone game, you bastards!

|    | 

Keranu

« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2007, 01:50:05 PM »
I don't think I've voted for anyone, but the poll no longer displays an option for me to vote so maybe I have. If I did, I probably voted myself then, but again I don't remember voting because I didn't want to skew the results either.

Keranu

« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2007, 01:59:53 PM »
Wow, apparently I did vote and more surpisingly I voted for Steve! I removed my vote now so it's all good. Black_Tiger, did you vote for anyone?

esteban

« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2007, 02:07:38 PM »
Wow, apparently I did vote and more surpisingly I voted for Steve! I removed my vote now so it's all good. Black_Tiger, did you vote for anyone?
Post the current results :)
  |    | 

Keranu

« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2007, 02:15:27 PM »
Post the current results :)
Do you not have the option to View Results? I guess that's a moderator thing then, mwahahaha.

Keranu - 8 (53.3%)
Steve666 - 6 (40%)
Black Tiger - 1 (6.7%)