Author Topic: Who has the worst taste in games?  (Read 1554 times)

GUTS

Who has the worst taste in games?
« on: August 24, 2007, 11:56:30 AM »
Obviously Keranu is the favored win in this poll since he automatically likes bad games just because they're bad.  Steve loves tons of horrible games, but usually has at least some oddball reason for liking them that doesn't have to do with everybody else hating them.  Black Tiger is a wild card, for every Blood Gear caliber game he likes, there is a Fighting Street in his closet that gets far too much praise.  I'm predicting a sweep by Keranu since his bad taste is virtually unheard of anywhere on the internet or real life, in fact I'd wager you could stack him up against a worldwide circuit of bad game fanatics and even they'd be sickened by his "like" lists.

Keranu

Re: Who has the worst taste in games?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 12:17:13 PM »
I vote Steve since he loves Blodia so much and that's one of the fun games I don't like. Really though, all of us are on pretty equal terms.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

runinruder

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 12:35:04 PM »
Well, not Steve.  He can usually present a well-written case to defend his ridiculous opinions, so I can respect his views even when I don't agree with them.  Sometimes he says dopey things, like his recent CF3 "observation," but those instances are rare.

Black Tiger not only has horrible taste, but insists on providing ridiculous "theories" as to why people don't like every awful PCE game that he does.  He's a lot like the snerds in this respect.  But I'll give him a lot of credit for one thing: I probably wouldn't have gotten into a number of great Japanese RPGs, or even as into that whole area of PCE play as I am now, if not for his guides.  So that negates the recent nonsense he's been posting, to a point at least. 

Keranu has the worst taste, period.  He likes every piece of PCE shit that's ever been crapped out, comes up with inane reasons to rip on amazing games for other systems (like Lightening Force) that he'd absolutely adore if they were available for the PCE, and when he finally does find a PCE game to be "not so hot" it's usually something that's actually legitimately good like Spriggan.
www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Turbo D

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 12:44:10 PM »
I voted black tiger because he likes buster bros.  :P

nat

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 01:46:51 PM »
I voted black tiger because he likes buster bros.  :P

God forbid anyone like that gay game!

I'm predicting a sweep by Keranu since his bad taste is virtually unheard of anywhere on the internet or real life, in fact I'd wager you could stack him up against a worldwide circuit of bad game fanatics and even they'd be sickened by his "like" lists.

I absolutely love how JJ & Jeff was an example in every single instance. I'd choose all three if I could.

Seriously though, I went with Keranu since about the only game I think we ever agreed on was Final Soldier. Oh, and Insector X isn't all that bad. But it's not anything to write home about.

I catch myself agreeing with Black Tiger and Steve (Blodia) from time to time.

TR0N

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 02:09:56 PM »
I voted for keranu sorry man you like keith courage in the alpha zone  :P

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Black Tiger

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 02:43:31 PM »
I actually never got into Exile II or Blood Gear, but I like Golden Axe, Rastan Saga II seemed alright for what it is the few times I've tried it and Keith Courage is a nice but flawed game I also like. I also think that Plump Pop is one of the greatest arcade games ever made.

I love Night Creatures, so that should be enough to earn some bad taste respect. But I also agree when a game really is bad or flawed, even though I may still appreciate it. I don't think Fighting Street is a good game, but its still entertaining.

I'm just not very hateful in general. I like video games, so most bad games still have some value. I don't play games looking for reasons to hate them, only the opposite. Some of the games that are considered masterpieces actually aren't very fun, but many games people consider unspectacular really are. People who insist on only playing the best of the best are really missing out.

I don't favor unusual games, I just have a wider spectrum of appreciation that most people. I still love pretty much all the 'big' Turbo/PCE games, so its not like I hate Lords of Thunder but love Deep Blue(I don't like Deep Blue anyway). I also like games on any platform. I don't hate any console or have any negative biases. Unlike many of the people around here who are considered to have more 'normal' taste, but hate the Genesis, SNES or something.

I voted for Stevek666, since Keranu is more into cheezy and wacky stuff (games and otherwise), but Steve seems to have more of a genuine interest in bad games (especially when drunk). And I don't like cell phone games. :wink:

I still think that my poll option would sound a lot worse than Steve's if it said:

(another JJ & Jeff offender, Night Creatures, Golden Axe, Fighting Street) :P
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 03:43:46 PM by Black Tiger »
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Tatsujin

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2007, 03:27:51 PM »
i voted for Steve666, since there was rastan II listed :mrgreen:
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2007, 04:24:30 PM »
I'm not voting for any of them. Cant really knock their taste,even if the majority feel its a bad game, its obviously doing something right for the few enjoying it.

Some of the titles above are ones I totally adore or at least respect for being what they are in their time period like Street Fighter. I love Buster Bros. I also love Time Killers which I know tons of people hate to death,but for me it does sooo much right,that I really enjoy it quite a bit.

termis

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2007, 05:41:22 PM »
's a tough one, though I like my share of some "bad" games (KCKC).  :)

Kitsunexus

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2007, 07:04:19 PM »
You all suck.

Keranu

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2007, 07:18:00 PM »
Keranu has the worst taste, period.  He likes every piece of PCE shit that's ever been crapped out, comes up with inane reasons to rip on amazing games for other systems (like Lightening Force) that he'd absolutely adore if they were available for the PCE, and when he finally does find a PCE game to be "not so hot" it's usually something that's actually legitimately good like Spriggan.
I've already mentioned several times here at least two Turbo games I don't enjoy: JACK NICKLAUS GOLF and Blodia (whatever the American one is called). If I went through a list of Turbo games, I could probably pick out a few more I never particularly enjoyed, but those two are certain. I can non-biasely say that I wouldn't enjoy Thunder Force III or IV if it was on because the controls are just plain uncomfortable (Masters can back me up on this) and the graphics are dirty, but the soundtrack might've been better if it was on PCE. I love Spriggan, but not until I got to play it again when you held that tournament. I didn't like it so much before then, but I've learned to appreciate it a lot more since then.

What can I say? I'm a lover not a fighter  8) .
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Joe Redifer

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2007, 10:46:56 PM »
I voted for Steve.  I usually agree with a lot of what Black Tiger has to say and I know that Keranu is just "special".  For instance:

Quote from: Keranuuu

Thunder Force III or IV if it was on because the controls are just plain uncomfortable (Masters can back me up on this) and the graphics are dirty, but the soundtrack might've been better if it was on PCE.

Yeah.  Not sure who "Masters" is, but he sounds like like a cornhole.  The controls couldn't be easier, and if you think you need to switch your weapons and adjust your speed a lot in either of those games, then you suck at videogames.  And the music rawks da wurld on both of those games and would sound much thinner as a HuCard.

Turbo D

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2007, 11:35:08 PM »
Not sure who "Masters" is, but he sounds like like a cornhole. 

Maybe he is referring to Ken Masters of street fighter  :P

runinruder

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2007, 01:16:56 AM »
Yeah.  Not sure who "Masters" is, but he sounds like like a cornhole. 

He's a guy we know from another site.  Keranu fails to note that Masters has posted online reviews giving TF3 an 8/10 and Lightening Force a 10/10. 

.  The controls couldn't be easier

Yeah.  Notice that Keranu never complains about Gate of Thunder having uncomfortable controls even though it basically has the same scheme, being that it's a Thunder Force rip-off and all. 

And the music rawks da wurld on both of those games and would sound much thinner as a HuCard.

Be careful.  There are guys here who will defend Turbo audio no matter how awful it sounds in comparison.  You're certainly right, though. 
www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games