Author Topic: Who has the worst taste in games?  (Read 1571 times)

Keranu

Re: Who has the worst taste in games?
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2007, 10:05:57 AM »
Yeah.  Not sure who "Masters" is, but he sounds like like a cornhole. 

He's a guy we know from another site.  Keranu fails to note that Masters has posted online reviews giving TF3 an 8/10 and Lightening Force a 10/10.

Not sure about Lightening Force, but you must've missed his update which he changes the score to a 6/10. Not only that, but he further comments saying how Gate of Thunder is the ultimate TFIII killer and the controls, " Perhaps it's the fact that all the sprites seem just a bit slippery. A good shooter has to feel a certain way.". I couldn't agree with him more on that. Runin out of all people really shouldn't be talking since he loves Legion (and why the hell isn't Runin on this list!? I don't even like Legion!)

Quote from: Runin
Yeah.  Notice that Keranu never complains about Gate of Thunder having uncomfortable controls even though it basically has the same scheme, being that it's a Thunder Force rip-off and all.

You guys aren't understanding me when I complain about the controls. The quote I pasted from Masters explains it well by describing the sprites as "slippery". The way your ship moves in TFIII and IV just never felt right to me and didn't feel as tight as other shooters (dare I say GoT?). I'm aware there is a speed adjustment options, but I'm not even sure if that has to do with it since none of the speed options feel comfortable (and I generally don't like speed adjustments in general). Also as Joe said, I never liked the long list of weapons to select from. Gates gives you three nice choices of weapons to choose from and they all come in handy for various spots of the game.

Quote from: Joey
And the music rawks da wurld on both of those games and would sound much thinner as a HuCard.

Quote from: idiocentric_ruder
Be careful.  There are guys here who will defend Turbo audio no matter how awful it sounds in comparison.  You're certainly right, though.

Different strokes for different folks. I found the sound quality to be ear bleeding (I'm not blaming the Genesis because Sega has made awesome sounding games for the system), so yes I would prefer a "thinner" sound in this case.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 10:10:42 AM by Keranu »
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

runinruder

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2007, 10:46:08 AM »
Not sure about Lightening Force, but you must've missed his update which he changes the score to a 6/10.

So your "backup" feels the controls are okay enough to warrant the HIGHEST POSSIBLE SCORE in one case and poor enough to deserve a mediocre score in another.  Sounds more like he's a backup for both of us at once.   :D

Runin out of all people really shouldn't be talking since he loves Legion (and why the hell isn't Runin on this list!? I don't even like Legion!)

I'd be happy to comment on my own horrid tastes.  I don't call my review thread "useless thoughts" for nothing.  I have a sense of humor about it. 

You constantly make comments about my tastes anyway  whenever I mention my dislike for a game that you happen to love (Ys 4, Bonk's Revenge, etc.).  I'm just making a few about your tastes now.  Don't be a baby.   
www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Keranu

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2007, 11:39:09 AM »
Not sure about Lightening Force, but you must've missed his update which he changes the score to a 6/10.

So your "backup" feels the controls are okay enough to warrant the HIGHEST POSSIBLE SCORE in one case and poor enough to deserve a mediocre score in another.  Sounds more like he's a backup for both of us at once.   :D

I haven't read his Lightning Force review but it may as well be outdated like his TFIII one. I hate TFIII and IV pretty equally since they feel a lot like the same game to me.

Runin out of all people really shouldn't be talking since he loves Legion (and why the hell isn't Runin on this list!? I don't even like Legion!)

Quote from: runin
I'd be happy to comment on my own horrid tastes.  I don't call my review thread "useless thoughts" for nothing.  I have a sense of humor about it.

And I don't have a sense of humor about bad games ? I'm all about the cheese man, we're on equal terms here.

Quote from: ruder
You constantly make comments about my tastes anyway  whenever I mention my dislike for a game that you happen to love (Ys 4, Bonk's Revenge, etc.).  I'm just making a few about your tastes now.  Don't be a baby.   

I don't recall "constantly" making comments about games you didn't like nor have I ever criticized you for not liking a game. I don't appreciate people accusing me of bias for loving every PCE game, bad or good, when in reality I love bad games for any system. Once again, I'm a lover not a fighter 8) .
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Joe Redifer

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2007, 11:53:48 AM »
Thunder Force 3 and 4 feel completely different to me.  I don't know what you mean by slippery controls.  If I stop pressing a direction, the ship stops immediately.  Perhaps the controls are too precise for you?  If that Masters guy reviews something and then goes around and re-reviews stuff giving them a completely different score, I'd say it's an extremely safe bet that none of his reviews can ever be trusted.  It's not like the games themselves actually change over time.  So how could a review become obsolete?  I bet he drinks his own diarrhea for breakfast.  Oh, and you can tell him I said that!   :dance:

runinruder

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2007, 11:55:15 AM »
I haven't read his Lightning Force review but it may as well be outdated like his TFIII one.

Maybe his revised TF3 is outdated by now.   :wink:

I don't recall "constantly" making comments about games you didn't like nor have I ever criticized you for not liking a game.

Come on now.  You've criticized me plenty for my feelings on Ys 4 among other games, and let's not even get into your tirades when I've commented on the NES.  I know you don't mean anything awful by it, but I'm not exactly out for your blood here either.   :)

Keranu

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2007, 12:12:32 PM »
Thunder Force 3 and 4 feel completely different to me.  I don't know what you mean by slippery controls.  If I stop pressing a direction, the ship stops immediately.  Perhaps the controls are too precise for you?
It's not so much about your ship stopping immediately, but the slippyness of when it actually comes. It doesn't feel precise to me and I know it's not some kind of controller problem or anything like that. If I was a coder, maybe I could pull some technical stuff outta my ass but I guess only few notice this.

Quote from: runin
Come on now.  You've criticized me plenty for my feelings on Ys 4 among other games, and let's not even get into your tirades when I've commented on the NES.  I know you don't mean anything awful by it, but I'm not exactly out for your blood here either. ;)
I'll be a nerd and check out old posts later. I don't recall critcizing you (if I did I appologize) but I generally recall me giving reasons why myself and others like certain games you don't. I admit I was really surprised you didn't like Ys IV since I found it to be an ideal follow up to the first two, but I have nothing against you for it.

[QUOTE author=Joe}If that Masters guy reviews something and then goes around and re-reviews stuff giving them a completely different score, I'd say it's an extremely safe bet that none of his reviews can ever be trusted.  It's not like the games themselves actually change over time.  So how could a review become obsolete?  I bet he drinks his own diarrhea for breakfast.  Oh, and you can tell him I said that![/quote][quote="ruder]Maybe his revised TF3 is outdated by now.[/QUOTE]Perhaps his view has changed yet again, but I haven't heard anything. Last time I talked to him, he still didn't like TFIII as much, granted that was months ago.

I should also point out that I can learn to appreciate and enjoy games I dislike (or even hate) after playing them enough, especially if I own them. A good example that comes to mind is Ranger X, which I thought was a clunky piece of crap when I first played it but after playing it enough, I learned to love it a lot. I will try to give Lightening Force another chance soon (since I don't own TFIII), but I've gotta say that I have gave this and TFIII numerous tries and the charm just never sparkled on me.

Also I've been meaning to put together a list of TG16/PCE games that I don't like for months now, but haven't gotten around to it. I feel it's important for people to be aware of games that Keranu doesn't even like. This will be another thing on my to-do list.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2007, 01:09:38 PM »
What do you think of Thunder Force II?  Personally, I love it.... both overhead and sidescrolling stages.

Also, you love Double Dungeons and its dirty graphics.  You would rather all the kittens in the world die before you'd give up your copy of Double Dungeons!

runinruder

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2007, 01:20:48 PM »
THIS IS ESTELIZA.

ROGER, GOOD LUCK.

You and I are the only ones who love TF2, Joe. 

Black Tiger

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2007, 01:21:09 PM »
In the prototype review page I made for my site, I have a score for personal preference and in the few reviews I've got in the works, I try to explain who might like a game and why.

Reviews by humans don't determine a game's true quality, only personal judgements. I don't know anyone who doesn't change their mind from time to time over the years about things like games, movies, books, etc. I don't think that by going further in depth with a re-review destroys credibility, only the opposite.

Its the smug bastards at EGM who stand by their reviews till death. When Gamefan actually started re-reviewing games for special reasons, I respected them more, not less.

Too many people, including 'classic gamerz', are blown away be aesthetics or gimmicks the first time they experience some games and only later are they able to take a clearer look at a game and judge it with less bias.

Also, personal judgement of a genre's games should change/grow as they play more and more of them. I'd trust Billy's opinion of Gradius after playing 100 shooters more than his opinion of it back when it was the only shooter he'd ever tried.

I also think that its narrow minded to decide absolutely how you feel about a game and then vow to never go back on your decision. I hope to learn to someday get into most of the games I don't like that most people swear are fun. I also find myself getting tired of some games that I once thought were the best.

As for shooters feeling 'slippery' or not 'arcade' or whatever. I know that some do feel weird to me and the other night I was thinking about how in some games it bugs me when a ship doesn't animate as you turn up or down. It shouldn't make a difference, but it does for me. :)
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Black Tiger

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2007, 01:22:47 PM »
THIS IS ESTELIZA.

ROGER, GOOD LUCK.

You and I are the only ones who love TF2, Joe. 

Don't forget me. 8)

I wouldn't have gotten hooked on the Genesis from the get go if it weren't for that game. :)

I was more impressed by the overhead stages than the sidescrollers when I first played it back in the day.

Emerald Rocker

« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2007, 02:19:20 PM »
Lightening Force is one of God's gifts to shooter fans.  Thunder Force 3... well, it plays fine, it's just lacking in intensity.

As for Thunder Force 2, that game was just conceptually flawed from the start.  The overhead scenes are trash, and the sidescrolling bits are on the level of Whip Rush.
Official member of the PCEFX 4K Post Club

Keranu

« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2007, 02:26:30 PM »
What do you think of Thunder Force II?  Personally, I love it.... both overhead and sidescrolling stages.
I own it, but I've barely played any of that game. I couldn't figure out what to do, but it seemed cool (I like games that mix genres like that). Will be on my to play list.

Quote from: Joe
Also, you love Double Dungeons and its dirty graphics.  You would rather all the kittens in the world die before you'd give up your copy of Double Dungeons!
I'm not going to argue with you about Double Dungeons; it has really shitty dirty graphics. Some enemies look cool (I like the mummy rhino thing), but the tiles are dreadful. The scrolling is nice though, so maybe that played a part in it to make the scrolling easier or something. Anyway, that game is all about da two player dungeon exploring, yo.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2007, 08:20:12 PM »
Black Tiger, EGM and GameFan's re-reviewing of games (or not) is an entirely different situation where the game they reviewed is often not 100% complete.  A person simply should not be reviewing games in the first place if they haven't played a well-rounded catalog of games.  They should also be reviewing games not based on memories of the first time they experienced them in 1992, but by playing them as much as they can right before writing the actual review.  They should explain what makes them enjoy it or not.  A re-review makes me think that a person missed something the first time, thus making their reviews suspect... how many other reviews are inadequate?  Does this person always overlook stuff?  Why isn't this person thorough?  When will this person find the current review inadequate?  Yes, opinions can change, but that should be no more than an amendment to the original review itself with something like "In my original review of this game, I forgot to press the START button at the title screen since I am a complete retard.  So now I am enjoying this a little more than before".  If you want to review games, stand up and have some balls.  Only in serious cases where grave errors are made or serious mis-information was involved should the score be changed.  If you disagree, don't ever accuse any person of being a hypocrite.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 08:22:32 PM by Joe Redifer »

Black Tiger

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2007, 07:56:18 AM »
Black Tiger, EGM and GameFan's re-reviewing of games (or not) is an entirely different situation where the game they reviewed is often not 100% complete.  A person simply should not be reviewing games in the first place if they haven't played a well-rounded catalog of games.  They should also be reviewing games not based on memories of the first time they experienced them in 1992, but by playing them as much as they can right before writing the actual review.  They should explain what makes them enjoy it or not.  A re-review makes me think that a person missed something the first time, thus making their reviews suspect... how many other reviews are inadequate?  Does this person always overlook stuff?  Why isn't this person thorough?  When will this person find the current review inadequate?  Yes, opinions can change, but that should be no more than an amendment to the original review itself with something like "In my original review of this game, I forgot to press the START button at the title screen since I am a complete retard.  So now I am enjoying this a little more than before".  If you want to review games, stand up and have some balls.  Only in serious cases where grave errors are made or serious mis-information was involved should the score be changed.  If you disagree, don't ever accuse any person of being a hypocrite.

Do you think then, that someone shouldn't begin playing a game to write a review for right after, unless they first play most of whats out there in the genre first? Even if they are reviewing a game based on recent experience, trying to score a game so that it is proportionate to other games can only be done going by memory of everything else.

When Pong came out, it would've scored a 10/10. Whats wrong with going back to rereview it say, once every decade or so? I'm guessing that as much as it amazed people when it came out and as much fun as they had with it, anyone who has been playing games regularly ever since isn't going to be as impressed by it today.

If someone loved a game and scores it high, but later goes on to play many superior games of the same genre on the same console, whats wrong with them adjusting their score(s)? I think whats most important is just explaining the experience, breaking down the game to give the reader a good idea of what to expect and some insight into why different people might enjoy it or who should steer clear. And if a rereview explains how/why they feel differently about certain aspects, then its basically just an addition to the original review, providing further insight to how different people might feel about it.

Especially since most people seem to people have various biases about hardware/technology and as more and more time goes by, opinions of consoles seem to level out. Not as many people today feel that the SNES is as 'good-as-32-bit' as people did back when it peeked.

Toshinden got great reviews from everyone when it came out. Check out Nick Rox & Takuhi's comments in particular-

You can say they were just being idiots at first, but everyone did the same thing. Takuhi(?) put it best when he said "Sorry Takara, you don't get points for novelty anymore."

Plus many people aren't able to play console hardware with anything better than composite and later have different opinions of graphics once they get a 'better picture'. Some people can play a port in component or S-Video on one system, but only composite on another. Whats wrong with rereviewing the visuals once they're able to compare the graphics with a clear view of each. You can't even compare Genesis graphics in composite to TG-16 or SNES in composite, since its so blurry and different on various Genesis hardware. I'm now finding many Genesis games look radically different with a clear image and its changed my opinion of many.

Keranu

« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2007, 09:51:20 AM »
Hahaha, that's great, Black_Tiger!