Author Topic: f*ck  (Read 1273 times)

nat

f*ck
« on: August 25, 2007, 09:32:28 AM »
f*ck!

I just came so f*cking close to beating Wonderboy in Monster Land. I've been trying to finish this game for years.

I can clear every stage in my f*cking sleep with one hand but the final dragon is such a bitch. Today I was on a roll though, I cleared the game and I arrived at the final castle with full health and a potion in reserve. I also had the "secret" magic jewel that takes away HP from the boss and makes him easier. In the past I've used the necklace to help me through the maze in the castle but I've played it so many times now I have it all memorized so I opted this time for the jewel instead.

So I get to the dragon and everything is going fine. I defeat him quickly thanks to the jewel and then he turns into that demonic fire-breathing Santa Claus-looking motherf*cker. I must have landed like 20 solid hits on him in that form before he starts going medieval on my ass, hopping around like a jackrabbit on coke and taking like three hearts away every time he touches me. In under 20 seconds I was down for the count. Apparently the only items I had in reserve were bombs and twisters which are completely useless on the douche.

Has anyone ever beaten this version of the game? I swear they really ramped up the difficulty over the Master System port.

If anyone has beaten the game, how many hits does that mofo take? 30? 50? 100? 147,784,986,332? Or did you offer him a blowjob in exchange for victory?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 09:35:06 AM by nat »

Keranu

Re: f*ck
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 10:34:36 AM »
I remember this guy was a real bitch for me the first few tries, but was really easy after that. I don't remember exactly what to do, but try to stay in the middle of the screen. Once you notice his pattern, it's pretty easy to dodge him. Also I think you pretty much have to use your sword attack on him because the magic attacks don't seem to work well, especially the boomerang.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Black Tiger

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 11:28:25 AM »
I beat it a couple(?) years ago. It was shortly after playing through the arcade version through Mame.

I remember the Yeti being a super cheap boss, but I don't remember any Bikuriman character bosses standing out.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Joe Redifer

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 11:37:23 AM »
I've beaten it many times... and this was before Al Gore invented the internet so there were no FAQs.  And they didn't write guides for SMS games.  So I had to use my own brain and mad skillz to beat it.  At least you've memorized the final dungeon.  What I remember is that the Thunder Flash is the best extra weapon to have.  Just keep pressing down (or is it up?) and the screen will flash white.  I think that might get rid of anything he's shooting at you as well, but don't quote me on that.  But when he is robo-dragon he'll go down after a few minutes.  When he is defeated he does NOT put a curse on you! 

nat

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2007, 11:44:59 AM »
Joe, you're saying you've beaten the SMS version, right? I'm speaking of the PCE version here. Have you beaten that one?

From what I've played of it, the SMS version seems a bit easier overall although I've never played all the way through that one.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2007, 11:59:32 AM »
Oh, screw the wacky PC Engine version.  You said "Wonder Boy in Monster Land" so naturally that made me think of the SMS version.  Isn't the PC Engine version called something totally 100% lame like Bukkake Man or something?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 12:01:19 PM by Joe Redifer »

Keranu

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2007, 12:15:16 PM »
I am confused. This thread is for the game Dragon's Curse right?

EDIT: Crap this must be for that other Wonderboy game! GOD DAMN YOU WONDERBOY FOR HAVING SUCH CONFUSING SEQUEL NAMES!
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Turbo D

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2007, 12:49:23 PM »
I'm pretty sure that he is speaking of dragon's curse. I beat that game like a year ago. It takes several tries to learn the final bosses patterns, but it is beatable.

nat

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2007, 12:51:25 PM »
Oh, screw the wacky PC Engine version.  You said "Wonder Boy in Monster Land" so naturally that made me think of the SMS version.  Isn't the PC Engine version called something totally 100% lame like Bukkake Man or something?

It probably didn't help that I mentioned the SMS version in my original message.

The PCE version has a goofy name that I tend to ignore. But it's the same game although I'll be damned if they didn't ramp up the difficulty. If it was actually called Bukkake Man that would be totally awesome.

And yeah, I know about the Thunder Flash. The trouble is, you can't select what items you use. You have to use them in reverse order that you pick them up. And I had like 80 bombs and twisters I had to use before I got to the Thunders. Next time I'll try to collect only Thunders or something I guess.

I am confused. This thread is for the game Dragon's Curse right?

EDIT: Crap this must be for that other Wonderboy game! GOD DAMN YOU WONDERBOY FOR HAVING SUCH CONFUSING SEQUEL NAMES!

Dragon's Curse is the 4th Wonderboy game, sometimes known as Monster World II or The Dragon's Trap. Or Adventure Island, even. Not to be confused with New Adventure Island.

And no, that's not the game I'm referring to here. I was beginning to wonder what you were talking about when you mentioned boomerangs since those didn't show up until later in the series. I'm talking about the the second Wonderboy game, Wonderboy in Monster Land. Or Monster World I or Bukkake Man. Take your pick.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2007, 01:05:12 PM »
Dragon's Curse is easy (but still completely awesome).

He's talking about Dragon's Curse's direct predecessor.

Turbo D

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2007, 01:07:38 PM »
Oh, haha, he is talking about Bikkuriman World. Ya, that game is super hard.

GUTS

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2007, 09:43:17 AM »
I beat the Master System version too, took me f*cking years to finally do it.  Never tried the PCE version beyond the first couple levels.

Turbo D

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2007, 09:59:41 PM »
The thing that makes it really hard is that damn hourglass  :x

nat

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2007, 11:39:49 AM »
The thing that makes it really hard is that damn hourglass  :x

The time really isn't a factor once you get the gameplay down. The hourglass automatically refills every time you move from one "scene" to another.

There is only one (1!!!) spot in the entire game where it becomes an issue. In the final castle there is a section where you have to re-battle a boss, walk down a hall and defeat some enemies, then go back to the same room and re-fight a second boss before you can proceed to the next area of the castle. Unless you defeat the bosses extremely quickly you are almost guaranteed to lose a heart when your hourglass runs out. I do nearly every time.

esteban

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2007, 02:28:33 PM »
Loved the SMS version. I've played a bit of the PCE version.

nat, you should play the SMS version and describe the similarities / differences between the SMS and PCE versions. That would be awesome :).
  |    |