Author Topic: Best Turbo emulator with CD support?  (Read 1295 times)

Joe Redifer

Best Turbo emulator with CD support?
« on: August 26, 2007, 01:20:35 PM »
I want a Turbo emulator that will play CD games (that's not Magic Engine) and allow me to take screen caps as well as joypad support.  I will be using Windows XP for this fanstastical task.  I'll be comparing Exiles between the Turbo and the Genesis.  Yes yes, I know the Sega version will automatically win by a giant margin in every category since it has the Sega logo when it is powered up, but let's let people think I am being fair and unbiased.  I need the emulators for screen grabs since people will think I am a washed-up hack if I took pictures of my TV screen.  How unprofessional!  How EGM-Glory-Days!  Nobody wants that.

So which emulator is recommended, and what is the current version?

Keranu

Re: Best Turbo emulator with CD support?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 01:23:57 PM »
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Joe Redifer

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 02:17:33 PM »
Thanks.  I hate having to use an Xbox 360 controller for this, but it's the only thing I have with a USB connector.  It makes the Genesis Exile extremely difficult as I'm sure it will with the Turbo version.  Why does Microsoft only make shitty controllers?  I hope all of Redmond catches on fire.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 02:40:56 PM »
Doesn't work.  Doesn't even launch.  I double-clicked it and it added some folders such as snaps, cheats, etc but that's all it would do.  I am using Windows XP service pack 2.

Alright seriously.  Anybody know of any WORKING emulators that meet my description provided in my first post?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 02:44:56 PM by Joe Redifer »

SignOfZeta

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007, 02:53:11 PM »
Yeah, I can't get Mednafen to run either. I was trying to use it in OSX using the NekoLauncher front end. No result at all. Its just one of those programs that is probably great but won't actually run for most people.

What is your problem with Magic Engine? Its been a while since I used it, but I seem to remember it being extremely good. I mean, it actually runs. That's a big bonus, IMO.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007, 02:55:10 PM »
LOL, yeah.  My problem is that Magic Engine costs $$$ that I don't want to pay.  I don't recall being able to get it to capture screenshots very well, though I'm sure it can.  Also I don't think Magic Engine screen caps are in he game's native resolution.

GUTS

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2007, 03:05:27 PM »
Joe you need this-

http://lhsp.s206.xrea.com/works/frontend.html

that's a front end.  To play a CD though you'll have to make an iso or bin/cue of it first, then load it.  I don't know how you play a CD just by putting it in your computer drive like Magic engine does, although I know you can.

nat

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2007, 03:12:57 PM »
Nodtveidt or probably Keranu should be able to tell you how to get Mednafen to run properly.

It will work for anyone, but it's a real f*cking pain. You need to run it with a bunch of command line options IIRC.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2007, 03:22:06 PM »
Interesting.  Why would anyone even dare to make such an emulator that's such a PITA?  It would seem to be a big waste of time.

GUTS, I'll try that out, but they sure missed the boat if they didn't allow for direct running of inserted CDs.

nat

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2007, 03:37:31 PM »
Yeah, that frontend might eliminate the need for command line options.

When you actually get it running, Mednafen is by far the best emulator for Hu6280 hardware.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2007, 03:41:54 PM »
The frontend doesn't really do anything.  There are no options to input command lines anywhere.  Command lines are gay.  I wonder if the programmers have upgraded from DOS.  They probably don't even understand the concept of a GUI.  And again, I bet they have glasses and/or ponytails.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2007, 03:44:57 PM »
LOL, yeah.  My problem is that Magic Engine costs $$$ that I don't want to pay.  I don't recall being able to get it to capture screenshots very well, though I'm sure it can.  Also I don't think Magic Engine screen caps are in he game's native resolution.

Last time I used it, Magic Engine ran %100 for free but with a time limit. To get around the time limit just save your state, and then immediately reload it and the timer resets. I think this can be done with two buttons. The author himself this trick on his web page years ago. I assume it still works.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2007, 04:00:05 PM »
Hmmmm... Magic Engine on the Mac OS doesn't seem to let you load states.  I also can't find where it's saving the pictures.  They're nowhere.

Edit:  Nevermind... application support > Magic Engine.  Now I just need to figure out how to load the save state.  The newest version of Magic Engine does not seem to run CD games very well, though.  The first town works fine, but the dramatic cinema anime manga displays do not.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 04:05:20 PM by Joe Redifer »

Odonadon

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2007, 05:18:16 PM »
Actually, Mednafen was originally developed for Linux, then ported to Windows.  However, when ported they definitely should have included a GUI :)  Most Linux users are used to a command line, most Windows users are not.

OD
http://www.turbo2k.net - the truly Turboist of all Turbo sites.

malducci

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2007, 05:29:46 PM »
The frontend doesn't really do anything.  There are no options to input command lines anywhere.  Command lines are gay.  I wonder if the programmers have upgraded from DOS.  They probably don't even understand the concept of a GUI.  And again, I bet they have glasses and/or ponytails.

Please... your not a programmer, so quit talking out your ass. If you're too afraid to use a command line interface, then use Ootake(free) or ME($$).

Mednafen isn't a DOS app, it's a console app of which its source is portable and compilable for many OS systems including MAC and Linux boxes. It's also an extremely easy console app to use. If you want to run CD games, you need to open the mednafen.cfg file, locate the "pce.cdbios" string and change is to "pce.cdbios c:\pce\roms\syscard.pce" or whatever path *and* system card rom you're using. You can also setup the window and fullscreen res options in this file.

Once that's done, you can load CD games from the command prompt with: mednafen -loadcd pce. If you're using ISO/CUE/WAV sets, then: mednafen <filename>.cue. You can also drag and drop CUE files onto the mednafen executable file as well as other roms.

In the emulator: alt+enter switches between fullscreen and window mode, alt+a steps through the game one frame at a time and alt+r returns back to running normal, F9 saves snapshots to the snap directory, F5/F7 is savestate and loadstate, F10 is a hard reset. To configure a gamepad press alt+shift+1 and it will bring up the gamepad subscreen at the bottom. If you mess up, press alt+shft+1 to cancel and then again to re-enter. You can press F1 for help it you forget the keys.

Btw, two of the more recent Genesis emulators scale the 256x224 games mode to 320x224. That sucks when you're trying to get an acurate pixel capture. Some of the older ones don't do this. I use DGEN for when I need to rip lower res gfx or disable layers by priority (no other emu does this). Oh, and DGEN is a windows GUI app.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 05:33:22 PM by malducci »