Author Topic: Ys book I & II - locking up- Rom or Emu issue?  (Read 413 times)

OldTurboBastard

Ys book I & II - locking up- Rom or Emu issue?
« on: August 29, 2007, 01:36:07 PM »
I using Magic Engine and a Ys I & II Rom downloaded from a NeoGeo enthusiast site. When I get to the point in Ys I in the Thieves Den where the guy is about to let me pass into Darm Tower and the digitized voice is going, it locks up at "Good Luck. You'll need it"

has anyone had this problem? Trying to figure out if it's my Rom or Magic Engine.

This has pissed me off to no end - this was one of my favorites back in the day and I was having a blast - only to get locked up. I've tried all the other PC versions and whatnot but I need my beloved TG16 for nostalgias sake. Help!

"I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude, you have to wait." - hedberg

SignOfZeta

Re: Ys book I & II - locking up- Rom or Emu issue?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 01:55:01 PM »
Well, I don't know how many people have actually played that far into Y's 1&2 with an emulator, but since its a/the fan favorite TG-16 game, I'm pretty sure that the David & Cédric would have perfected it's compatibility years ago, so its probably the image you are using.

If you love the game so much, just spend the $20 or whatever on a legit copy and you'll have your answer.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 01:57:50 PM »
Do you have a save state for that part?  I know in the real version of the game, Thomas Hayden Church never quite finishes the "You'll need it" part of the speech and it is clipped.  But that's what happens when you're Thomas Hayden Church, na mean?

OldTurboBastard

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 02:07:42 PM »
Do you have a save state for that part?  I know in the real version of the game, Thomas Hayden Church never quite finishes the "You'll need it" part of the speech and it is clipped.  But that's what happens when you're Thomas Hayden Church, na mean?

Yes I do, right before I walk in the house -  I keep trying over and over but after the voice clips off nothing happens, so I figured right away something had gone wrong - i've tried waiting about 5 minutes to no avail. Glad to hear this may not be a major issue. I'll try again

As for spending the $20 on the game....i did'nt see that one coming!!!!
"I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude, you have to wait." - hedberg

OldTurboBastard

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 02:18:04 PM »
hmmm..still nothing after waiting a few minutes. Seems kinda coincidental that it's happening right at the point where the voice is known to cut off.

I'm having flashbacks of sitting up at 3am with a friend at age 15 slapping around a turbografx CD unit cursing NEC. Deja Vu?? maybe I'll just let it sit for awhile...... grrrr..

SignOfZeta

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007, 03:32:25 PM »
I've cleared this game probably 12-15 times. The voice always f*cks up, but I can't remember it ever crashing the game there.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2007, 04:51:25 PM »
The save state, could you upload it somewhere where we could try?  I don't mean the game save file, but the Magic Engine save state.

OldTurboBastard

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 05:50:37 AM »
The save state, could you upload it somewhere where we could try?  I don't mean the game save file, but the Magic Engine save state.

I can email the file when I get home (currently at work slacking) if there is an address I can send it to. Shoot me an email at nino.scholz@gmail.com and i'll reply back with the file. What's the file extension on the save state files?

Thanks for all the help from everbody it would be nice to have this working over labor day weekend

Joe Redifer

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 05:58:06 PM »
Well I tried your save state and Magic Engine Windows version wouldn't load it.  I could see the mini-thumb of where you were at, but Magic Engine seems to be very poor at Ys or something.  It was all glitchy and nasty looking, and this is the most recent version of ME.  Amazingly the save state loaded up fine in the Mac version of Magic Engine.  I went into the house and was able to make it into Darm Tower.  No crashing.  The emulation of the PSG music didn't sound right, though.

Emulation sucks ass.

OldTurboBastard

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2007, 01:49:25 AM »
Thanks for the help. Maybe I need to take SignOfZeta's advice and just buy the CD - my only fear is that i will still have the same emulation issues. Do the emulators work well with the original CDs?

Joe Redifer

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2007, 09:19:35 AM »
I was using the real CD.  Neither ran flawlessly with Magic Engine for me.  They seemed to have sound and sometimes graphical issues.  They do work flawlessly on a real system, though.  Other CD games have worked perfectly in Magic Engine.

nat

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2007, 09:57:09 AM »
Emulators are a waste of time in general unless you're doing screenshots.

Keranu

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2007, 11:03:36 AM »
I do my serious gaming on the real deal usually, but emulators are great for trying out new games and taking screenshots.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

nat

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2007, 11:21:11 AM »
Oh yes. Emulators are also good for the try-before-you-buy aspect. How could I forget?!?

OldTurboBastard

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2007, 09:19:41 AM »
SOLUTION - I sent the state state to Mr. Joe Redifier and he sent back a save state having played through the offending part of the game. I'm good to go now.

Thanks to everybody for the help. Glad to find some other folks passionate about the Turbo on here.

-Nino