Author Topic: Big Game Matchup FOUR  (Read 871 times)

runinruder

Big Game Matchup FOUR
« on: August 30, 2007, 06:08:54 AM »
Okay, here's the story behind this one:

As all longtime Turbo fans know, our beloved system was the object of much ridicule back in the day, especially after the whole "it's not 16-bit" revelation.  Tell someone that you owned a TG16 and the result would often be laughter at your expense or sad head shaking.  The most foolish of the Turbo haters seemed to be particularly fond of making the following observation:

"The only good Turbo game is ______!"

And, for some reason, the game they cited was almost always Ninja Spirit or Splatterhouse. 

Since they're the "only" good Turbo games, I figured I'd might as well pit them against each other in a Big Death Match.

I'm voting for Ninja Spirit even though, at this point, I probably have a little more fun with Splatterhouse, and possibly even prefer its music.  I just know that if I could keep only one of them, it would be NS.  Maybe because, thanks to it being one of the very few Turbo games that actually received universal critical acclaim back in the day, I was really excited about buying it when I was a kid, and it did indeed live up to my expectations.  Also, there's something very cool and stylish about it, its atmosphere and bosses and music.   
www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: Big Game Matchup FOUR
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 06:46:02 AM »
I voted for Splatterhouse because I hate that jackass falling part near the end of Ninja Spirit.  You know the spot: utter a short prayer to the Turbo gods, jump off, and head to the left.  Ha-ha, you still got hit.  f*ck.

In short, they're both great games, but Splatterhouse is just more fun (and Ninja Spirit misses out on Jennifer's goofy "Help Me!").
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

nat

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 06:53:22 AM »
Oh no you didn't.

This matchup is totally a stalemate. There is no way someone can choose one of these games over the other-- I love both and agree with all the points made thus far, especially regarding the excellent "stylish" soundtrack of Ninja Spirit. Although as far as video game music goes it doesn't get any better than stage 6 of Splatterhouse.

So I'm going to just blindly point and click. Oops, looks like Splatterhouse gets my vote.

EDIT: Have you guys beaten Ninja Spirit in "Arcade" mode (one-hit-kill)? I haven't put any time into it but I imagine it would be somewhat difficult. On the flipside, the normal mode is fairly easy save for that giant pit Necro mentioned. Even then, once you know what to do it's not all that tough.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 07:06:37 AM by nat »

runinruder

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 07:10:36 AM »
EDIT: Have you guys beaten Ninja Spirit in "Arcade" mode (one-hit-kill)?

Yep.  You get an extra little scene at the end. 
www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Keranu

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 07:49:06 AM »
Very tough call and a surprisingly good match up despite how different the games may seem. I voted Ninja Spirit because overall I think it has better and more unique gameplay. Splatterhouse has better presentation in my opinion and is a lotta fun to play, but I like how you can jump really high and scroll the screen a lot in Ninja Spirit as opposed to the "flatness" of Splatterhouse, not to mention the awesome arsenal of weapons in Spirit. It's a hard choice though and I'm still not sure if I'm satisfied with my vote.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Joe Redifer

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 12:13:26 PM »
Splatterhouse.  Neither game really grabs me and I consider both only a few steps above average, but in the end Splatterhouse has better music and is slightly more fun, so it wins.

Turbo D

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 02:33:02 PM »
I voted NinjaSpirit because I enjoyed it more. Splatterhouse is great too though, so it was a tough decision.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 02:54:56 PM »
Quote from: turbo D

because I enjoyed it more.

In all honesty, that's exactly what makes one game better than another.

GUTS

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 05:04:25 PM »
Ninja Spirit is a flickering nightmare, it looks like a SNES game.  Splatterhouse all the way.

esteban

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2007, 05:57:20 PM »
Oh no you didn't.

This matchup is totally a stalemate. There is no way someone can choose one of these games over the other-- I love both and agree with all the points made thus far, especially regarding the excellent "stylish" soundtrack of Ninja Spirit. Although as far as video game music goes it doesn't get any better than stage 6 of Splatterhouse.
I agree, this is such a tough decision. I love the presentation and atmosphere of Splatterhouse. I always play in Splatterhouse "Hard" mode (otherwise it is too easy). Of course, Ninja Spirit's "Arcade" mode is no slouch either, though... hmmm....

Back in the day, I probably spent more time replaying Ninja Spirit. Actually, I spent *too* much time playing it, to the point where I *overplayed* it.

So it really is tough to vote. Ninja Spirit is probably the better game (if only slightly), but in recent years, I've been having more fun with Splatterhouse since I'm jaded with Ninja Spirit.

I love both games though, so I still haven't voted. Maybe I'll vote later.

MUSIC:
Is stage 6 the vagina-sperm-fetus stage in Splatterhouse? Or is it the firey flame log stage? I think the vagina-sperm-fetus music kicks ass!

Digi.k (I think?) posted an mp3 with the arcade Splatterhouse soundtrack and it is fun to listen to it and compare it to the TG-16 tunes (both are great, IMO, but the TG-16 is my favorite overall).
  |    | 

TR0N

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2007, 06:58:56 PM »
Ninja Spirit for it's theme it's music and how it plays.

I got np with splatterhouse i like it as well but if you,ask me to choose i pick ninja spirit over it.

It go's back to when i owned a "TG16" ninja spirit was the frist game i bought for it.

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2007, 11:30:24 PM »
Don't like Splatterhouse, NJ all the way!

Black Tiger

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2007, 01:35:17 AM »
I've loved Ninja Spirit since I first rented it and have never really liked Splatterhouse.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

sideshow

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2007, 07:54:34 AM »
I chose Splatterhouse cause I was a horror junky back in the day and the Friday the Thirteen esque character I thought was so cool.

On the other hand Ninja Spirit is a great game too and has a very arcade fast paced style to it.  I just think Revenge of Shinobi for the Genesis was a way better Ninja game.

spenoza

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2007, 08:47:19 AM »
I think I prefer the faster action of Ninja Spirit. Splatterhouse is nice, but sometimes it feels slow and the attacks inaccurate. Ninja Spirit just feels more precise.
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c