Author Topic: Strider  (Read 1157 times)

MotoRoaderMike

Strider
« on: September 01, 2007, 02:02:52 PM »

This is one of the GREATEST games of ALL time! It's fun, addictive, and it's NEVER boring, no matter HOW many times you've played it! Oh boy, wish I could time travel back to 1989 to play the original arcade cabinet and see the game in its prime, because I was only 2 years old when Strider first came out.

Dragon's Lair appreciation. Again.

Tatsujin

Re: Strider
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 05:27:26 PM »
great game but the gameplay was kinda awful.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Black Tiger

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2007, 06:49:07 PM »
Its very popluar, but not for me. :)
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Kitsunexus

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2007, 07:38:24 PM »
It's cool for the first 30 seconds, but gets old FAST. The logo art (second pic) is cool though, for a time it was my MP3 player's wallpaper.

Capcom Classics Collection Remixed for PSP has the original Strider in arcade-perfect form, but I really wish it had . Now THAT is a good game.

On a side note, that computer running the Strider 2 video must be an HP Pavillion a1007w like mine, it certainly stutters the same.  :wink:
« Last Edit: September 01, 2007, 07:42:07 PM by Kitsunexus »

Tatsujin

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2007, 08:00:25 PM »
The PSone Strider HiryĆ» collection also shows up with the strider 1 & 2 arcade perfect ports.

strider 2 brings great action and gameplay but an awfull eye cancer optic.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Kitsunexus

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2007, 08:04:54 PM »
The PSone Strider HiryĆ» collection also shows up with the strider 1 & 2 arcade perfect ports.

strider 2 brings great action and gameplay but an awfull eye cancer optic.

Sprites+3D PWNS THE CRAP out of 90's polygons...

Joe Redifer

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2007, 10:27:03 PM »
Strider 2 was 90's polygons.

I like Strider, it's fun to play.  Certainly not the greatest game evar but it has many moments that I enjoy.  I think if there were a better PC Engine version, more of you would enjoy it.

esteban

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2007, 01:59:41 AM »
I like Strider, it's fun to play.  Certainly not the greatest game evar but it has many moments that I enjoy.  I think if there were a better PC Engine version, more of you would enjoy it.
I still enjoy Strider, despite all the naysayers who say it hasn't aged well (I'm talking to you, Emeril Rockette! :) ).

|    | 

Turbo D

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2007, 02:16:43 AM »
I like strider, its a classic  :)

Kitsunexus

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2007, 06:12:16 AM »

With sprites for Hiryu and the enemies.

Black Tiger

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2007, 07:54:21 AM »

Back before I'd ever tried a TurboGrafx-16, I rented Strider on Genesis and didn't like it. We never got Strider or Ghould N Ghosts arcades in my home town, so it wasn't like "OMG! I can finally play the arcade at home!", it was just another game. GnG was cool enough, even though I still prefer the first game.

A decent PCE port of Strider would be neat and I'd play through it every once in a while (like I do the MD & ACD versions anyway) but it wouldn't change my feelings about the game.

I do agree that if a killer-awesome port had been made for PC Engine, a few more people might like it. But its not like everyone loves Forgotten Worlds, Dynasty Warriors or Chiki Chiki Boys.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

SignOfZeta

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2007, 10:03:31 AM »
The best Strider game is Osman.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osman_(arcade_game)

Why there isn't a super rare $280 copy of this for Saturn on eBay right now is beyond me. It would have been so at home there. I love this game.

Keranu

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2007, 10:12:10 AM »
I used to not like this game for awhile (loved it when I was a kid, but later learned to not appreciate the controls), but now and days I've learned to like it more.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

GUTS

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2007, 12:48:46 PM »
Strider f*cking rules, awesome game all around.

ceti alpha

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2007, 07:52:26 AM »
I used to not like this game for awhile (loved it when I was a kid, but later learned to not appreciate the controls), but now and days I've learned to like it more.

Yeah, I remember a friend of mine had Strider for the Genesis and being impressed with the graphics, but rather underwhelmed with the controls. Other than the MAME version, I also have the NES version that came with a 3 in 1 game for the Game Boy Advanced (Strider, Mighty Final Fight, Bionic Commando- I freakin' love that game!). Actually the NES version of Bionic Commando destroys the arcade version. One of the rare exceptions I guess.

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"