Author Topic: Strider  (Read 1169 times)

rag-time4

Re: Strider
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2007, 08:11:27 AM »
I used to not like this game for awhile (loved it when I was a kid, but later learned to not appreciate the controls), but now and days I've learned to like it more.

Yeah, I remember a friend of mine had Strider for the Genesis and being impressed with the graphics, but rather underwhelmed with the controls. Other than the MAME version, I also have the NES version that came with a 3 in 1 game for the Game Boy Advanced (Strider, Mighty Final Fight, Bionic Commando- I freakin' love that game!). Actually the NES version of Bionic Commando destroys the arcade version. One of the rare exceptions I guess.

Ceti, I think there are quite a few examples of NES home versions having deeper gameplay then the arcade versions...

Ikari Warriors 2 is a personal favorite. The NES versions has shops you can go in, which I don't believe are in the arcade version... though the arcade version does have the rotating controller....

And how about Contra? The NES version is actually quite a bit longer, I believe. In the arcade, the last few NES levels sort of run together, whereas in the NES version everything is more spread out.

Keranu

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2007, 08:45:40 AM »
Yeah I agree, I think there are quite a few NES ports that are better than the arcade original.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

rag-time4

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2007, 09:50:11 AM »
 :-k Thinking more about this.... I think Punch-Out is pretty even....

The NES version has Mike Tyson and King Hippo, but the Arcade version has that nice announcer that pisses my mom off! BODYBLOW! BODYBLOW!  :lol: :lol:

There used to be an arcade with Punch Out in a mall near where I live.... My mom took me there like once, and watched me play punch out.

She still remembers the announcer, and it was like 18-19 years ago!

Every once in a while she complains about it, and I can't help but bust up laughing inside!!  :lol: :evil: :lol:
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 09:52:44 AM by rag-time4 »

Joe Redifer

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2007, 10:49:32 AM »
I think Hyru's graphics are far better on the Genesis than in the arcade.  The arcade Hiryu has a retarded black outline that makes him look lame.  Only the Genesis is powerful enough to not have the black line.  Thank God for the Genesis' unlimited power.

I do agree that if a killer-awesome port had been made for PC Engine, a few more people might like it. But its not like everyone loves Forgotten Worlds, Dynasty Warriors or Chiki Chiki Boys.

Forgotten Worlds is decent (not fantastic by any means).  The other games are just ass.

Black Tiger

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2007, 12:57:36 PM »
I think Hyru's graphics are far better on the Genesis than in the arcade.  The arcade Hiryu has a retarded black outline that makes him look lame.  Only the Genesis is powerful enough to not have the black line.  Thank God for the Genesis' unlimited power.

I also think the Genesis Hyru sprite art looks nicer than the arcade. But I think also liked the NES sprite better than the arcade too last time I checked. :P
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Bonknuts

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2007, 01:14:58 PM »

I agree, but the improvement ends there. The rest of the game looks like ass in comparison to the arcade ;)  Ok..maybe not *ass*, but....

I played Strider in it's prime at the local 7-11. They always had 4 arcade systems and would swap them out on a regular basis. R-Type, Strider, and SF2 lasted a good amount of time at the store. I spent every quarter I could there. Hehe - I even keep the dollar my father gave me to get the Sunday paper to spend on the arcades, then picking up a paper off somebodies lawn on the way home :D  (I eventually got caught when I couldn't find a paper to snag...  :x).

I loved Strider in the arcades, but for some reason I wasn't as excited when my friend got the game. I borrowed it, played it, beat it - multiple times, but never bought the game.  R-Type was a different story.

Keranu

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2007, 03:20:51 PM »
I played Strider in it's prime at the local 7-11. They always had 4 arcade systems and would swap them out on a regular basis. R-Type, Strider, and SF2 lasted a good amount of time at the store. I spent every quarter I could there. Hehe - I even keep the dollar my father gave me to get the Sunday paper to spend on the arcades, then picking up a paper off somebodies lawn on the way home :D  (I eventually got caught when I couldn't find a paper to snag...  :x).
Ahh, gotta love arcade stories!
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

GUTS

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2007, 05:23:45 PM »
The Genesis version of Strider is definitely good, but remember how all the mags were saying it was "arcade perfect" back in the day?  That game is most definitely not anywhere near arcade perfect.  It's a great port for the time, but what the f*ck were the mags thinking?

TR0N

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2007, 07:42:35 PM »

The NES version has Mike Tyson and King Hippo, but the Arcade version has that nice announcer that pisses my mom off! BODYBLOW! BODYBLOW!  :lol: :lol:

There used to be an arcade with Punch Out in a mall near where I live.... My mom took me there like once, and watched me play punch out.

Every once in a while she complains about it, and I can't help but bust up laughing inside!!  :lol: :evil: :lol:

Btw you should show her this then  :wink:
I like both version of po i play the arcade version in mame once in a while.

I remember when i tried playing punch out as a kid at the local putt,putt&games.

Of corse i just suck at the game so much then.

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Kitsunexus

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2007, 07:46:10 PM »
Yeah that arcade announcer is better than the NES's crap attempt at formant synthesis.  That's also some impressive scaling in the logo there. Of course the NES version has "the song".

On the same subject, has anybody noticed when Mario jumps it sounds like the Oliver Twist dude? "MOOORE!?"

The BEST videogame voice, hands down though, is the Impossible Mission (C64) Dr. Atombender voice. I don't think I have to argue that.
http://www.emuunlim.com/doteaters/welcome.wav

http://www.emuunlim.com/doteaters/destroy.wav

The same speech synthesis was used when your hero dies.

But pretty much any speech on the C64 was impressive. http://www.the-commodore-zone.com/articlelive/articles/1/2/Speech-Box/Page2.html

That speech synthesizer that you hear in a lot of early techno though is a program called "SAY" for the Atari ST.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 08:03:41 PM by Kitsunexus »

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2007, 08:15:49 PM »
Trojan & Legendary Wings are also better on the NES.

rag-time4

« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2007, 06:58:44 AM »

Thanks for the recommendations... I don't think I've ever played these!

rag-time4

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2007, 07:01:50 AM »

Btw you should show her this then  :wink:

I like both version of po i play the arcade version in mame once in a while.

I remember when i tried playing punch out as a kid at the local putt,putt&games.

Of corse i just suck at the game so much then.

HAHAHAHA.... I'm so tempted to e-mail this!!  :lol: :-k

Yeah that arcade announcer is better than the NES's crap attempt at formant synthesis.  That's also some impressive scaling in the logo there. Of course the NES version has "the song".

By "the song", are you referring to this:

8-[
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 07:36:12 AM by rag-time4 »

CosMind

« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2007, 08:51:28 AM »
The best Strider game is Osman.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osman_(arcade_game)

Why there isn't a super rare $280 copy of this for Saturn on eBay right now is beyond me. It would have been so at home there. I love this game.

of course, i had to look this game up after reading this.
here's a shortcut for everyone else:

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2007, 06:10:59 PM »

Thanks for the recommendations... I don't think I've ever played these!

No prob!  I'm actually hoping that, someday, we'll be able to take the NES version of Trojan, put it on the Turbo, & make it look graphically like the arcade version.  That's one of my dreams(with me on the music ofcoarse).  I'd also love to do the same for Contra, Super Contra, Operation C, Legendary Wings & Strider for NES.  Not to mention, I'd love to take Contra Force, redo the graphics, & make the game like a regular Contra game!