Author Topic: Turbo Games  (Read 598 times)

nat

Re: Turbo Games
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2007, 01:57:04 PM »
There's a new Star Trek movie?  Does it still have the Next Generation guys?  That would rule.  Hopefully it has TONS of ship to ship battles and fighting.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic, but I personally thought Nemesis was awesome.

Keranu

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2007, 02:14:14 PM »
And Keranu, come join the Armagetron madness!! hehe. I'm usually in Swampland I or II or G Land. But there's a ton of good servers to choose from.  :D
Will try to soon!
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

ceti alpha

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2007, 06:52:44 PM »
No TNG, its a remake of the original franchise being done by JJ Abrams. One of the nerds from Heroes has been cast as Spock and Leonard Nimoy is supposed to also play Spock. So it'll probably be framed like Titanic and Saving Private Ryan with Spock reminiscing about the good ole days before dying at the end of the movie or something.

Yup, pretty much.  :) I have faith in this movie being OK, only because Nimoy is participating. He's been known to walk away from Star Trek projects if they don't meet his standards. But we can only wait and see.  :pray:

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

nat

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2007, 03:32:30 AM »
It's going to be interesting, either way. I'm not getting my hopes up though.

GUTS

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2007, 01:21:40 PM »
No I was being serious, I love the original series and TNG, but everything after that is complete and utter shit in my opinion.  They're really casting different people as Captain Kirk and the crew?  That's so f*cking lame, it better have tons of ship battlin' in it or else that is going to be really, really stupid.

esteban

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2007, 09:10:50 AM »
OK, to get back on track: I really dig the Valis series. Valis III is my favorite, by far. Excellent game. It felt wonderful to beat it, since you had to develop strategies for passing some particularly tricky sections of the game. Stage design, during these segments, was pretty kool! Otherwise, most Valis games are quite linear with basic stage design. Valis IV is quite enjoyable, but I have to say, Valis III is still my fave.

Valis I is interesting, but not nearly as atmospheric as Valis II. If Valis II had more inspired stage design (and I think there should have been more stages, to elevate it to an "adventure" instead of merely a "romp") and was more challenging, then it would have been incredible. Amazingly, the story in Valis 2 is more comprehensible than that of Valis III. How is this even possible?

I haven't really spent as much time with Valis I PCE as the others, so I'll reserve judgment on it.
  |    | 

Keranu

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2007, 03:30:06 PM »
I was hoping you would share your thoughts on the Valis covers again, esteban :) . I love it when you talk about Valis III's cover with the pointy metal boobs and serious facial expression on Yuko. God I love that American artwork (seriously!).
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

esteban

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2007, 01:55:43 AM »
I was hoping you would share your thoughts on the Valis covers again, esteban :) . I love it when you talk about Valis III's cover with the pointy metal boobs and serious facial expression on Yuko. God I love that American artwork (seriously!).
:)

|    | 

ceti alpha

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2007, 02:06:09 AM »
I'm muddling my way through Valis II right now. Unfortunately I don't have the manual. : ( But whatever, it's really all about playing the game.  8) I personally like it. Sure, the controls are kinda wonky and there are several points in the game where there are mandatory hits, which is more than a little annoying. But there is something that keeps me coming back for more.  :-k I can't explain it.

Oh and the music is AWESOME!!!  :clap: Seriously, I think it's some of the best video game music I've ever heard. Level 1? Forget about it.  :)

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

runinruder

« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2007, 02:09:10 AM »
Oh and the music is AWESOME!!!  :clap: Seriously, I think it's some of the best video game music I've ever heard. Level 1? Forget about it.  :)

Yeah, quite a few of us around here consider the Valis II soundtrack to be among the PCE CD's best.  Stage 3's tune is my favorite, but I also love the tracks for levels 1 and 5 and the title screen.

I agree with Steve that III is the best in the series.  Best characters, best level design, and very good music to boot. 
www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Keranu

« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2007, 05:28:33 PM »
:)

Well just don't stand there and smile, spit something out!  :mrgreen: