Author Topic: Sol Moonarge  (Read 1203 times)

m1savage

Re: Sol Moonarge
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2007, 04:06:52 PM »
I'm playing it on my laptop using MagicEngine so that's where my screenshots come from.

Found an uncharted island in the middle of the ocean but don't see a "ghost ship". Wonder what I missed now?  ](*,)
Going back now to sail around some more....

Edit: ...and Tah Dah! There it is.  :D  Guess I just needed to look a bit harder. Moving right along...

Edit V2.0: Finished the game today so here's a few of my "useless thoughts".  Pretty much everything GUTS said about the game goes for me as well. The game moves at a good, quick pace and really picks up toward the end. None of the dungeons are long enough to get annoying. The enemies are interesting. Grafx are very colorful and well done for the most part. Music was good overall, though I wish it was more varied in places. One of the easier to play PC Engine RPGs for non-Japanese speaking people. It has a cool "debug" mode that I've been playing with this evening. Overall an excellent game and it now ranks as one of my favorite PC Engine RPGs.

I'll probably post more on my site at a later date. For now, back the the never ending mahjong games and ???  :-k
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 03:48:25 PM by m1savage »

GUTS

« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2007, 07:56:08 AM »
Sweet, how did you like the ending?  I didn't know that guy you were playing at the beginning of the game was the main guy's father, I didn't realize it until the end when he's yelling odosama or whatever the japanese word for father is.  I spent the whole game thinking that you had got blasted back in time by Silver at the thief's tower or something, haha.

Kitsunexus

« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2007, 08:37:30 AM »
Sweet, how did you like the ending?  I didn't know that guy you were playing at the beginning of the game was the main guy's father, I didn't realize it until the end when he's yelling odosama or whatever the japanese word for father is.  I spent the whole game thinking that you had got blasted back in time by Silver at the thief's tower or something, haha.

Since we're going to give away spoilers now. Kirk dies, Snape kills Dumbledore, Master Chief dies but really doesn't after all, Dorothy was just dreaming, Jack drowns to save Rose, Gwyneth Paltrow's head is in the box, Tyler Durden is the narrator's alter-ego, etc...

runinruder

« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2007, 09:16:06 AM »
Spoilers rule.

I remember this one time when I blurted out the incredible ending to CF2 because I thought everyone present had already beaten it.  Little did I know that GUTS' old buddy Bill had been waiting to play the game for years and had purposefully avoided any and all written material on it so that he wouldn't run into spoilers. 

Oh well.   :wink:
www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Keranu

« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2007, 11:18:13 AM »
I'm pretty sure I had something to do with that CF2 spoiler as well. Poor, poor, Billy :( .
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

m1savage

« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2007, 04:20:49 PM »
Heheh, well it's not really much of a spoiler as the actual event takes place fairly early in the game and it's also in the manual. The big surprise for me was when his girlfriend/sister turns out to be a dude! Did NOT see that one coming.

The ending was cool though.  :D

esteban

« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2007, 04:28:17 PM »
Heheh, well it's not really much of a spoiler as the actual event takes place fairly early in the game and it's also in the manual. The big surprise for me was when his girlfriend/sister turns out to be a dude! Did NOT see that one coming.

The ending was cool though.  :D
hahahhahahahhaaa.
  |    | 

esteban

« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2007, 04:30:09 PM »
Spoilers rule.

I remember this one time when I blurted out the incredible ending to CF2 because I thought everyone present had already beaten it.  Little did I know that GUTS' old buddy Bill had been waiting to play the game for years and had purposefully avoided any and all written material on it so that he wouldn't run into spoilers. 

Oh well.   :wink:
Was that ArmedAramaments, or was that KingofCrusher (IIRC, GUTS = kingofcrusher, or something like that).

Which reminds me: GUTS, have you written any more stuff about all those oddball PS1 games? I'd love to read some stuff :)
  |    | 

Keranu

« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2007, 04:57:42 PM »
Yeah I'm pretty sure GUTS name on those one Turbo Boards was KingCrusher or KingofCrusher as you said.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

esteban

« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2007, 03:44:07 AM »
Yeah I'm pretty sure GUTS name on those one Turbo Boards was KingCrusher or KingofCrusher as you said.
GUTS had some page about wacky, obscure PS1 games. He had plans to write about more games, but I don't know if he ever did it.

GUTS, enlighten me. :)
  |    | 

spenoza

« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2007, 11:27:08 AM »
I don't remember the sister/girlfriend being a dude part. Someone give me a little more to go on (it's been about 10 years since I last beat the game).
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

GUTS

« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2007, 11:42:49 AM »
No I kind of lost interest in writing stuff on the internet, although I do have a few weird games I was thinking of doing some shit on.  I didn't pick up on the girlfriend being a guy part, that's hilarious.

Kaminari

« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2007, 01:37:04 AM »
For info, Sol Moonarge was not developed by Irem but by the Irem fan club. An official dōjin game. Which explains why the production values are kind of mixed: great graphics but poor gameplay and music.

GUTS

« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2007, 06:53:55 AM »
What?  The gameplay is excellent, that's the game's strongest point.

Black Tiger

« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2007, 08:19:09 AM »
What?  The gameplay is excellent, that's the game's strongest point.

It seems that there are two major groups of RPG fans, those who enjoy old school/traditional RPG gameplay and those who prefer the modern stuff.

Depending on which group you fall into, either one can be viewd as poor gameplay.

I like so-called "traditional" gameplay that doesn't involve overly convoluted "systems" or feature hundreds of spells/skills/etc that I'll never use and only three that I will.

I like world maps, turn based battles and dungeons that aren't linear pop-up-book paths. I also like to be able to equip my characters with weapons and armor.

I don't like RPGs that are completely linear or unlinear.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum