Author Topic: Which Lords Of Thunder Soundtrack do you like better?  (Read 863 times)

Kitsunexus

Which Lords Of Thunder Soundtrack do you like better?
« on: September 12, 2007, 10:34:47 AM »
Which soundtrack do you like better? I can't really decide, the TG-16 it's awesomely agressive, but the Sega CD is more polished...

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: Which Lords Of Thunder Soundtrack do you like better?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 10:47:09 AM »
They're both great, just different (though sometimes the drums get a bit out of hand on Sega's soundtrack).
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

nodtveidt

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 10:52:16 AM »
Much prefer the original, but the remake has a couple of notable improvements. I don't like how they swapped the track order though, that always annoyed me. The 1st and 6th level musics in the Sega CD version are especially well-done, but they really killed the boss tracks...all of them. They sound so weak compared to the originals. It's just too bad that the sound effects in the Sega CD version sound like complete crap.

Turbo D

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 11:14:30 AM »
I voted for the Turbo version. The Genesis one was ok, but it didn't go as well as the original. Those Genesis sound effects really take away from any music anyways, almost makes playing the game unbearable.

Keranu

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007, 12:31:53 PM »
Though I haven't heard the Sega CD version nearly as much, I voted the Duo one because it does sound better from what I've heard. If you take the sound effects into consideration like turbo D, then yeah Duo blows it away, but that's not what we're talking about I guess :) .
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Joe Redifer

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007, 01:27:39 PM »
Why did they even bother to re-perform the music for the Sega CD version?

Black Tiger

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 02:15:34 PM »
The Sega version works well as bgm and I'm very glad that we got another version of the soundtrack. It was recorded/mixed/whatever with a heavier/more modern sound, but the actual performance loses a lot, seperate from the style changes.

But the one thing that really kills the Sega soundtrack is the redone solos. Its not just that they're not as good, they really don't fit the songs and feel very out of place, almost working against the music.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Tatsujin

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 04:30:22 PM »
PCE = Original = best O:)
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

TR0N

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007, 08:31:14 PM »

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

esteban

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2007, 08:45:22 AM »
I don't have the Sega-CD version of LOT. I gotta listen to the soundtracks one of these days... I'm sure P_D has both in his music thread, right?

I'm eager to listen to the Sega-CD tunes.
  |    | 

Joe Redifer

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2007, 01:11:56 PM »
I feel that the original Turbo Lords could have benefited from a much better recording session.  The music is quiet and very thin-sounding as if the frequencies are extremely limited.  Needs more punch and depth to the sound.  Better equipment during recording and better mastering would have made this great music out-f*cking-standing.  I am betting that this music was recorded in the same place as Dungeon Explorer 2's music, except that DE2 is even quieter.  Import a track from that game into a real sound editor and you'll only see teeny-tiny wavelengths.  Turning the volume up isn't a good option as that increases the noise floor substantially.  Only do so if you love hiss and hate dynamic range.

The Sega CD music seems to have been recorded slightly better with the exception of the percussion.  It's much too loud compared to the rest of the music and quite "hollow" sounding for lack of a better term.  I guess good recording studios do not exist in Japan.

Still not sure why they re-recorded the music.  I guess nobody knows.

Tatsujin

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2007, 01:20:10 PM »

coz, americans always have to worsimprove something, when it comes from an other country. but still not sure why.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

geise

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2007, 01:31:08 PM »
Wow!  I'm surprised this topic is even started on a Turbo forum haha.  I have played the sega cd version and I really "tried" to like it.  I was so used to the Pc-Engine/Turbo version that it was really hard for me to get into it.  I personally hate the production on the sega cd version.  It's overproduced and isn't as RAW or harsh sounding as the Turbo version.  By harsh I mean more aggressive sounding.  I'm used to listening to bands with RAW recordings like Exodus, Overkill, Testament, Suicidal Tendencies from the 80's Thrash days.  So that's why I like it even more.

Black Tiger

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2007, 02:20:18 PM »
I feel that the original Turbo Lords could have benefited from a much better recording session.  The music is quiet and very thin-sounding as if the frequencies are extremely limited.  Needs more punch and depth to the sound.  Better equipment during recording and better mastering would have made this great music out-f*cking-standing.  I am betting that this music was recorded in the same place as Dungeon Explorer 2's music, except that DE2 is even quieter.  Import a track from that game into a real sound editor and you'll only see teeny-tiny wavelengths.  Turning the volume up isn't a good option as that increases the noise floor substantially.  Only do so if you love hiss and hate dynamic range.

The Sega CD music seems to have been recorded slightly better with the exception of the percussion.  It's much too loud compared to the rest of the music and quite "hollow" sounding for lack of a better term.  I guess good recording studios do not exist in Japan.

The CD soundtracks of most PCE CD games are 'mastered'/whatever quiet, so they compliment the sfx instead of overpower them.

Recording/Mastering-wise, the Turbo Lords is Rust In Peace and the Sega version is Countdown To Extinction.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

spenoza

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2007, 03:28:00 PM »
I am fond of quieter CD tracks. They tend to be less compressed (dynamic range, not file compression). And if turning up the volume is introducing too much noise, the audio components are usually to blame.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, read here: http://spectrum.ieee.org/aug07/5429
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c