Author Topic: Which Lords Of Thunder Soundtrack do you like better?  (Read 862 times)

Turbo D

Re: Which Lords Of Thunder Soundtrack do you like better?
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2007, 03:33:27 PM »
neato dude  :wink:

Joe Redifer

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2007, 06:34:17 PM »

The CD soundtracks of most PCE CD games are 'mastered'/whatever quiet, so they compliment the sfx instead of overpower them.

This is because the TG-16 itself is so darned quiet.  But DE2's music was even more quiet.  Ys music is pretty darned loud, same with Shadow of the Beast.

Recording/Mastering-wise, the Turbo Lords is Rust In Peace and the Sega version is Countdown To Extinction.

What the hell are you talking about?

I am fond of quieter CD tracks. They tend to be less compressed (dynamic range, not file compression).

I agree, but Lords of Thunder has less dynamic range than most rock tracks typically would.  It sounds very flat and very thin.  Gate of Thunder destroys Lords of Thunder in recording quality.

Keranu

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2007, 07:05:59 PM »

Recording/Mastering-wise, the Turbo Lords is Rust In Peace and the Sega version is Countdown To Extinction.

What the hell are you talking about?

Hahaha, I was thinking the same thing. I had to Google it: Rust in Peace, Countdown to Extinction.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Tatsujin

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2007, 07:16:29 PM »
rolf...megadeth
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Kitsunexus

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2007, 07:49:07 PM »
Megadeth is like, the SHITTIEST band on the face of planet Earth.

T's Music though is HELLA cool. I need to listen to more of their stuff (I found out they did the Super Monkey Ball soundtracks...).

WoodyXP

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2007, 09:39:34 PM »

I like the Turbo version.  It has a crunchier sound and it makes me want to regrow my mullet.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2007, 09:55:01 PM »
Even though they are thanked in the credits, I don't think T's did the Super Monkey Ball music.  I used to think that, but something somewhere made me change my mind.  SMB sounds an awful lot like Daytona on the DC which is most decidedly not T's.  The same team at Sega did program both games, though.

Kitsunexus

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2007, 02:18:46 AM »
Even though they are thanked in the credits, I don't think T's did the Super Monkey Ball music.  I used to think that, but something somewhere made me change my mind.  SMB sounds an awful lot like Daytona on the DC which is most decidedly not T's.  The same team at Sega did program both games, though.

I saw a page that said they did the music, and I know that Amusement Vision also developed and used the same style techno in F-ZERO GX.

But Daytona? That's Crush40, isn't it?  :-k

Joe Redifer

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2007, 04:13:12 AM »
WTF is Crush 40?  I'm talking Daytona USA for the Dreamcast, not some grunge rock band.

Kitsunexus

« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2007, 04:51:13 AM »
WTF is Crush 40?  I'm talking Daytona USA for the Dreamcast, not some grunge rock band.

Didn't Crush 40 do the music for Daytona USA?

And Crush 40 is NOT just some grunge band, it's Jun Senoue and crew...reverence, bitch.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2007, 01:08:35 PM »
Oh, that guy?  No I don't think he ever had anything to do with Daytona.  Crush 40 sounds like a US garage band.  I must admit I grew tired of Jun Senoue really fast... right around when Sonic Adventure 2 came out for the DC.

spenoza

« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2007, 01:16:16 PM »
I am fond of quieter CD tracks. They tend to be less compressed (dynamic range, not file compression).

I agree, but Lords of Thunder has less dynamic range than most rock tracks typically would.  It sounds very flat and very thin.  Gate of Thunder destroys Lords of Thunder in recording quality.

OK, so LoT is a bad example of how quieter is often better  :)  And it is strange how in some places when the music should get loud and crunchy the volume seems to fade a little. But at least the peaks likely aren't clipped. And yeah, GoT mops the floor with it, though I would argue stylistically as well.
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

Joe Redifer

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2007, 01:56:05 PM »
I don't like how a lot of the music today is recorded much too loud.  Look at it in a sound editor and you'll see peaking and clipping all over the place.  It's like they are taking radio masters and releasing them on CD.

Black Tiger

« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2007, 04:05:15 PM »
Megadeth is like, the SHITTIEST band on the face of planet Earth.

Sounds like you have PERSONNAL issues with the band. Even though Countdown To Extinction is a pro-animal song. :wink:
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Kitsunexus

« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2007, 07:14:27 AM »
I don't like how a lot of the music today is recorded much too loud.  Look at it in a sound editor and you'll see peaking and clipping all over the place.  It's like they are taking radio masters and releasing them on CD.

Why does everybody reference this without linking it!? >_<

http://www.cdmasteringservices.com/dynamicrange.htm