Author Topic: Big Game Matchup FIVE  (Read 797 times)

runinruder

Big Game Matchup FIVE
« on: September 13, 2007, 05:36:26 AM »
Ugh.  Here we have two mediocre (at best) vertical shooters that many players actually seem to like.  I think they're both bland and ugly with soundtracks that are VERY overrated.  But that's just me, so let's see how these two "fan favorites" fare against each other.

I'm voting for Dragon Spirit, I guess.  The theme is a little more interesting than Super Star Soldier's generic space crap, and the power-ups (like growing additional heads and shrinking into a mini-dragon) overmatch SSS's typical armaments and inability to find a decent use for the I button. 

Previous Big Game Matchups:

Air Zonk 12, Aero Blasters 5
Dragon's Curse 9, Dynastic Hero 5
Rondo of Blood 17, Lords of Thunder 11
Ninja Spirit 19, Splatterhouse 9
www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

ccovell

Re: Big Game Matchup FIVE
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 05:46:46 AM »
You're nuts.  SSS is really playable and gets hectic especially in the later stages (stage 6, of course) where there's shit flying around everywhere and I find myself hooting and hollering as I avoid projectiles.

Dragon Spirit never was much fun, with an oversized and underpowered main "ship" making the game frustrating to play.  The only version of DS that I actually enjoyed (and finished!) was the NES version.

runinruder

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 05:58:23 AM »
You're nuts.  SSS is really playable and gets hectic especially in the later stages (stage 6, of course) where there's shit flying around everywhere and I find myself hooting and hollering as I avoid projectiles.

Stages 5-7 are where the decent action is, although they're still painfully boring thematically, and the spider duo at the end of 7 is extremely lame.  Stages 1-4 are ugly, generic wastes of time, while 8 is horribly designed, with endless streams of harmless riffraff leading to encounters with old bosses.  The last boss isn't bad, though.  Also, SSS was maimed by the other much-better members of the series on the PCE.

I don't hoot and holler while playing SSS, that's for sure.  Hootering and hollering is for babies.  I could understand a little anxiety during, say, the later levels of Nexzr or Super Raiden.  But not SSS.

Dragon Spirit never was much fun,

No arguments there!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 06:03:12 AM by runinruder »

Turbo D

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 06:06:46 AM »
SuperStarSoldier is an awesome game. I don't see why you would like dragon spirit over it, but I don't really care anyways  :lol:

nat

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 06:30:35 AM »
SSS is my least favorite in the Gunhed/Star Soldier series...

But I'm voting for it because it's prettier than Dragon Spirit, which has graphics that look like they were drawn with a box of crayons. That is, a box of crayons that was missing all but four of the colors.

I'd be surprised if the entire first level has more than 8 colors to show for itself. And I'm probably being generous there.

The sequel, Dragon Saber: The After Story of Dragon Spirit, is much better.

esteban

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2007, 06:34:38 AM »

Dragon Spirit never was much fun, with an oversized and underpowered main "ship" making the game frustrating to play.  The only version of DS that I actually enjoyed (and finished!) was the NES version.

You're both nuts! 

SSS is fun (for the reasons Mr. Covell already stated) -- if generic. Yeah, SSS is generic. But it is a competently executed game (mechanics, control, etc.) that really outshines a lot of the standard shooters you'll find on other systems. This is not a testament to SSS's greatness, perhaps, but to the sad lot of generic shooters out there that didn't have the basics nailed down, let alone some polish.

Now, I bought SSS when it first came out and I have to admit that it was a letdown from Blazing Lazers. You see, as far as I was concerned, SSS should have been better than Blazing Lazers since it was the spiritual sequel to it in North America (I think I speak for all Turbo fans of the era when I say that we hoped SSS was going to be "Blazing Lazers II").

Now, Dragon Spirit is a great game as well, despite you naysayers. Yes, if you compared Dragon Spirit to SSS, you'll notice that our dragon friend moves at a slower, more deliberate pace. But once you accept this fact, you're in for a treat. I've already defended the virtues of DS on these boards, so I'll just point out that the Xevious formula that Dragon Spirit heralds from (shooting aerial enemies and bombing terrestrial targets) really adds to the strategy and enjoyment of Dragon Spirit. As far as pure game mechanics are concerned, DS is superior to SSS simply because DS offers more depth, IMO, and not as mindless.

Don't get me wrong, I love mindless shooters. Critics of the genre tease us because they feel that shooters, in general, are vapid. I disagree with this sentiment, but even I appreciate it when a game offers a bit more strategy to stimulate the old gray cells.

At the end of the day, Dragon Spirit, despite the plodding worm, provides a more fulfilling experience than the swifter, "pick-up-and-play", yet more mindless SSS.

Or maybe not.

Runin does a great job choosing games for these match-ups, as far as I am concerned. The list of pros & cons for each title really make it difficult for me to choose a clear victor. I'll have to play them side by side before I cast my vote.

The worm has turned...
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 06:39:10 AM by esteban »
  |    | 

Tablet

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2007, 06:39:10 AM »
Oh i voted for SSS, Dragon spirit just looks and feels.....ugh...to me. See words can't describe it. True SSS aint as good as Gunhed but it still has some jazzy tunes and some cool powerups.

nat

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2007, 06:44:33 AM »
At the end of the day, Dragon Spirit, despite the plodding worm, provides a more fulfilling experience

I get a more fulfilling experience from Deep Blue than I do from Dragon Spirit.

runinruder

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2007, 06:48:29 AM »
SSS is fun (for the reasons Mr. Covell already stated) -- if generic. Yeah, SSS is generic. But it is a competently executed game (mechanics, control, etc.) that really outshines a lot of the standard shooters you'll find on other systems. This is not a testament to SSS's greatness, perhaps, but to the sad lot of generic shooters out there that didn't have the basics nailed down, let alone some polish.

I don't know if it's all that competent.  I mean, as I alluded to earlier, they COMPLETELY wasted the I button.  Surely it could've been used to add something to the gameplay--a bomb, a special weapon, weapon switcher, whatever.  I can think of a LOT of vertical shooters, for the PCE and other systems, featuring control schemes that made much better use of what was available.  

Runin does a great job choosing games for these match-ups, as far as I am concerned.

Thanks, although maybe not this time, judging by the votes thus far.  I thought there were more Dragon Spirit fans here since I always seem to get swarmed by them whenever I make a negative comment about it.  But it's funny to see it get wrecked, and even funnier considering that I seem to be its sole "supporter," haha.  

rag-time4

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2007, 07:05:33 AM »
 :cry: I jumped the gun on my vote.... I voted SSS just because of the graphics.... but now that I stop and think about it I do enjoy Dragon Spirit more because of the depth of the gameplay (aerial and grounded targets)

runinruder

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2007, 07:10:35 AM »
:cry: I jumped the gun on my vote.... I voted SSS just because of the graphics.... but now that I stop and think about it I do enjoy Dragon Spirit more because of the depth of the gameplay (aerial and grounded targets)

Well, when the 27-1 final tally comes in, we'll know that it really should've been 26-2.   :wink:

Maybe I should invoke a fifteen-vote mercy rule like they do in little league games that get out of hand.   :D

nat

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2007, 07:30:23 AM »
Since runinruder is clearly a Dragon Spirit lover, maybe he wants to buy my unopened NIB copy and put it behind glass.

nodtveidt

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2007, 08:21:54 AM »
Neither game is all that interesting to me.

Keranu

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2007, 08:31:11 AM »
Haha, funny matchup. I'm not really into either game, but I don't hate them. I'm inclined to vote SSS, but I'd have to play it again to see.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2007, 09:31:45 AM »
My vote's for Dragon Spirit simply because dragons are better than space ships (duh).  Super Star Soldier is as generic as they come, but Dragon Spirit offers a unique, if somewhat unexciting, environment.  Who doesn't like the dual mode ass kicking of scorching the flying bitches and fire bombing the ground scum?  Sure, SSS looks much better, but I like D.S.'s tunes better (stage 6 kicks ass) and the gameplay is more varied and, dare I say it, fun.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles