Author Topic: Hi all, just got a duo WOW!!!  (Read 645 times)

BSA Starfire

Hi all, just got a duo WOW!!!
« on: September 14, 2007, 02:11:38 AM »
Hi all,

just got myself my first ever PC Engine, it's a jap Duo R & I am really impressed :) It came through from Hong Kong after 3 days to the UK, pretty impressive I thought. Anyhow just thought I'd say hi, obviously I'm new to this forum, I also hang out on atari age(same sig) but thought I join up here as I reckon the engine is gonna be my new obsession.
Anyhow I got some cool games too: Ordyne, Final blaster, space adventure cobra, rabio lepus, motorroader & wonderboy 3. I am amazed by wonderboy, I used to own the arcade cabinet, and the visuals and play are near identical on the duo. Anyhow hi everybody.
Best regards,
Chris

runinruder

Re: Hi all, just got a duo WOW!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 02:13:28 AM »
Welcome.

If you're impressed by that batch of games, just wait until you get some of the good ones.   :wink:
www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

rag-time4

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 02:34:25 AM »
Welcome to the club!  :-({|=

BSA Starfire

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 02:37:21 AM »
LOL!

Come on the folks, reccomend me some games! I think I want the arcade card so I can play some of the beat 'em ups, love the Neo Geo fighters and these seem to need it reckon its worth it? So what else is a must have, i have no japanese language whatsoever so bear that in mind. Also is there an online guide for space adventure cobra? Worth a go even if I only look at the pretty pictures.
Best

rag-time4

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 02:55:11 AM »
LOL!

Come on the folks, reccomend me some games! I think I want the arcade card so I can play some of the beat 'em ups, love the Neo Geo fighters and these seem to need it reckon its worth it? So what else is a must have, i have no japanese language whatsoever so bear that in mind. Also is there an online guide for space adventure cobra? Worth a go even if I only look at the pretty pictures.
Best

Among shooters, Image Fight is one of the best. It's the best home port of all the retro systems (save possibly the FM Towns version...?)

Image Fight has more depth to the gameplay than the Hudson vertical shooters that many people will recommend, such as Blazing Lazers / Gunhed and the Soldier series.

Image Fight is also very difficult, though, so if you want something that doesn't require practice to get far into, go with Blazing Lazers  :mrgreen:

Blazing Lazers has a fantastic soundtrack, which to me, is the highlight of the game.

Also, check out runinruder's "useless thoughts" thread. He has a ton of reviews there, and many of the board members chime in with their thoughts on the various games.

http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=2047.0

I definitely think the Arcde Card is worth it. It will open up all the games (except for the ones that need the old 1.0 card) and it will also improve loading times on some games (3X3 eyes and others).

Fatal Fury 2 is a great port and if you liked that game for Neo Geo you'll probably enjoy the CD soundtrack.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 03:01:20 AM by rag-time4 »

Tatsujin

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007, 03:02:35 AM »
Among shooters, Image Fight is one of the best. It's the best home port of all the retro systems (save possibly the FM Towns version...?)
don't forget the 1:1 ports on saturn and PSone ;)

anyway, welcome aboard chris.

first get gate of thunder, winds of thunder, seirei senshi spriggan, star parodia. those are the real "exclusive" shooters which will rock you out of your chamber!! :D
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

rag-time4

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2007, 03:08:37 AM »
don't forget the 1:1 ports on saturn and PSone ;)

anyway, welcome aboard chris.

first get gate of thunder, winds of thunder, seirei senshi spriggan, star parodia. those are the real "exclusive" shooters which will rock you out of your chamber!! :D

Tatsujin... the Saturn and PS1 ports are probably better, as they're direct Arcade ports right?

You're right about the Thunder series, Spriggan, and Star Parodia.

Those are shooters exclusive to the Turbo system, while Image Fight is available on various platforms. Still though, I have had more fun with Image Fight than with Blazing Lazers, Star Soldier, and Final Soldier.. but then again I do have them all  :mrgreen:

I've found that it's really hard to go wrong with this system.

BSA Starfire

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2007, 05:13:41 AM »
Thanks for all the advice and recomendations . think I'll go for the Arcade card & Fatal Fury 2. Also going through the "useless thoughts" stuff has given me a few ideas. Galaga '88 is a must (I love the atari 7800 version or Galaga) also   Asuka 120% as I like fast responsive fighters.
Will have a look at some of the other games you fine folks have mentioned too.
Now my Duo has been fitted with a switch to allow play of both US & Jap titles. Is this good for both CD's and hucards or just CD's?

Best,
Chris

geise

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2007, 05:32:38 AM »
Now my Duo has been fitted with a switch to allow play of both US & Jap titles. Is this good for both CD's and hucards or just CD's?

That switch should only be for HU Cards.  There was never any cd region lockout of the systems, just the card games.  You can even play cd-r's but sometimes it can wear on your cd lens, plus it's not as good as having the original pressed cd.  Enjoy the DUO :D

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2007, 05:44:36 AM »
Welcome aboard and have fun with your Duo.  8)
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

runinruder

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2007, 05:45:18 AM »
 Asuka 120% as I like fast responsive fighters.

Great choice!

OldTurboBastard

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2007, 07:40:51 AM »
If you like the slower style shooters I would recommend Psychosis- it always stood out to me. It has some pretty beautiful visuals and a great soundtrack. It's fairly short but challenging enough to keep anyone occupied for awhile
"I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude, you have to wait." - hedberg

esteban

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2007, 07:45:16 AM »
Anyhow I got some cool games too: Ordyne, Final blaster, space adventure cobra, rabio lepus, motorroader & wonderboy 3. I am amazed by wonderboy, I used to own the arcade cabinet, and the visuals and play are near identical on the duo. Anyhow hi everybody.
Best regards,
Chris
Welcome!

Yeah, Wonderboy III is a blast to play and I think the Redbook soundtrack is nicely done. If you can, definitely have a friend join for 2-player co-op: it's even better, especially in the later levels when things get really crazy!

Personally, I think you received a nice bunch of games as an introduction to the Duo: Wonderboy III was available shortly after the initial launch of PCE CD / TG-CD, so you get to see what one of the earlier CD games is like. It really holds up well, especially for an early CD game. It's one of my favorite games of all time :).

The rest of the games are not the typical "starter" games that folks usually get. If you like shooters, then Rabio Lepus and Final Blaster are titles that you'd likely hunt down at some point. I like 'em.

Motoroader is a niche multi-player game that a bunch of us really like on these boards -- it might not be your cup of tea, but at the very least you should listen to the music in that game: it's great! I think there is a sound test.

|    | 

runinruder

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2007, 08:00:59 AM »
If you like the slower style shooters I would recommend Psychosis- it always stood out to me. It has some pretty beautiful visuals and a great soundtrack. It's fairly short but challenging enough to keep anyone occupied for awhile

Yeah, that's a good one with a very cool soundtrack.  He'll want to look for "Paranoia" though since he has a JP system. 

nat

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2007, 08:19:36 AM »
I played Psychosis last night for a pleasant trip down memory lane.

It took me a number of years before I could get to the end. After playing the likes of Sinistron, it didn't seem so hard anymore.