Author Topic: Igarashi speaks about (praises!) PCE Rondo of Blood  (Read 491 times)

esteban

Igarashi speaks about (praises!) PCE Rondo of Blood
« on: September 14, 2007, 02:51:56 PM »
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3162527

The meat from the interview:
1UP: Now that it's pretty much complete, what do you personally think about the game? You know, as the guy who makes all the Castlevania games, what are you most proud about with this one?

IGA: I'm happy that I could use Rondo of Blood, which I think was one of the greatest Castlevania games and was previously only released in Japan. I'm really proud that I will give U.S. players a chance to experience one of the greatest Castlevania games ever made.

1UP: So actually, can you clarify something? What was your involvement with the original Rondo of Blood? That was the first Castlevania game you're credited on, but what did you have to do with it?

IGA: Well, the first Castlevania I worked on was Symphony of the Night -- I didn't actually work on Rondo of Blood. But my wife did. She worked on the development team. So I'd sometimes go to my wife's desk to play the game, and luckily I was given a "special thanks" in the credits.

1UP: So in your mind, was that game the reason you wanted to switch gears and work on the Castlevania series?

IGA: As you know, I used to work on the Japanese love simulation series Tokemeki Memorial and I attained great success with it. So much so that I was then given the opportunity to choose which franchise I wanted to work on next. I chose Castlevania. So I entered the Castlevania: Symphony of the Night team as a programming and scenario writer and during the game's development I ultimately became its director.

1UP: But was Rondo of Blood what inspired you to want to work on the Castlevania series?

IGA: Yes, it was one of the reasons I chose to work on Castlevania, but much before Rondo of Blood I really liked the world of Castlevania. Rondo was just one of the reasons.

1UP: Is Rondo your favorite Castlevania that you didn't work on?

IGA: Actually, that would be Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse. But Rondo is definitely one of my favorites and I'm thrilled that U.S. players will finally be able to see why.

1UP: It's definitely one of my favorites, too -- it was completely worth the high price I paid to import it years back.

IGA: Ah... you imported it? In that case, I'm actually terribly sorry I'm making Rondo of Blood available to everyone now [laughs].

1UP: The interesting thing about Rondo of Blood, though, is that it was the last of the more traditional Castlevania games -- the more linear and action oriented games, with fewer adventure elements. Releasing the title now on PSP, is it perhaps a step backwards for the series?

IGA: Yeah, in some ways it might be a step back, but I really just wanted for everyone in the world to be able to play the authentic Castlevania and to perhaps in a way reevaluate the tradition of Castlevania. It's not just a step back, but it's an opportunity to go back to the original point of Castlevania -- to reevaluate what is Castlevania. I think good games are good games. Even if games go back to being more linear in nature, they can still work today -- just look at the popularity of New Super Mario Bros. I don't care if the style is older, Rondo of Blood's gameplay is timeless.
  |    | 

Turbo D

Re: Igarashi speaks about (praises!) PCE Rondo of Blood
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 03:22:07 PM »
that game sure doesn't look like the original rondo, but it does look like fun  :wink:

Keranu

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 05:38:21 PM »
Yeah that new 3D looks awful, but the intereview was entertaining. :)
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Joe Redifer

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 05:56:26 PM »
The PCE version is also on the disc.

Keranu

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 06:16:22 PM »
I know, but I'm just saying the included 3D version looks like ass :P .
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

spenoza

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2007, 02:11:09 AM »
I just think it's nice that Igarashi acknowledges that a good game is still a good game, even if games have supposedly "moved forward." It's always nice to hear people in the industry make the point that new isn't necessarily forward and old isn't necessarily back, or inferior.
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

Joe Redifer

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2007, 11:30:30 AM »
I agree that the 3D version looks like ass. 

geise

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2007, 05:18:16 PM »
I really liked the last two 3D castlevania games for PS2.  Those worked because they were totally new games.  I think it's kinda sad though that in order to get people to play Dracula X Rondo of Blood they have to remake the graphics with 3D to make it appeal to more people.  It's like telling them "Hey it's 3D now, it's so much better than the original, but hey we threw it in there too if you want to play it."  The sad truth though is that's how it really is now a days with the gaming market.  3D is a term used way to often to make something sound better than it really is.  It was a nice interview though and it's so awesome his wife worked on Rondo of Blood.  I think I'll pass on the psp version since I do own the original as well.  I got it for Xmas back in 93.  I was lucky I didn't have to pay a dime for it haha. 

Tatsujin

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2007, 02:30:58 AM »

so you originally gonna pay all your money for a new developed game, but it will suck out of the ass. and the game which brings you the real fun on the screen will be that one, which already was done 15y before :lol:
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

theoakwoody

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2007, 05:28:10 AM »
Anyone heard anything about that rumor that you'd eventually be able to use actual Turbo CDs in your Wii?  My TG16/cd attachment is a little touchy right now and I don't like to play on a PC.  I guess I could install Magic engine on my xbox, does it run on dreamcast as well?

Keranu

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2007, 07:13:00 AM »

so you originally gonna pay all your money for a new developed game, but it will suck out of the ass. and the game which brings you the real fun on the screen will be that one, which already was done 15y before :lol:
Yep! Though I won't be getting this game anways since I don't have a PSP, but same difference :P .

GUTS

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2007, 09:11:41 AM »
Mednafen is what you need for emulating Duo on Xbox, and it works very well.  The only problem I've had with some CD games is that sometimes the audio will get out of sync during cinemas, but otherwise every game I tried played great.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2007, 07:22:51 PM »
I personally think it looks great!  Generally, I'm sure I'll still prefer the Turbo version, but, I like remixes.  Plus SotN is on there with added bonuses, like new/good voice acting, & a Maria mode n' stuff.  Not to mention the original Rondo in english!

Turbo D

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2007, 07:38:58 PM »
I'm definitely picking up a copy  :D Especially since the new psp slim is going to have tv out  :wink:

Kitsunexus

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2007, 08:33:45 PM »
I'm definitely picking up a copy  :D Especially since the new psp slim is going to have tv out  :wink:

That will look horrible. >_< Get a version that's DESIGNED to emulate for large screens.

And this game is going to RULE. I will pay $70+ for this UMD.