Author Topic: My Ultimate TurboGrafx-16 CD package up for Grabs - Now $100 cheaper!  (Read 1865 times)

Anthony1

Ok, this is a really hard thing for me to do. I'm basically putting my most prized video game item up for sale. Why am I selling it? It's a long story. But rest assured it has to do with finances, and needing to come up with money, and not having any money. This is my ultimate TurboGrafx-16 package. This package basically lets me play any Hu card, American or Japanese, as well as any CD game, Super CD game or Arcade CD game in glorious RGB. How does this all work? Well, first off, you start with a regular base TurboGrafx-16 system. Then you send that system off, to get it RGB modded on the side. It's important to have the RGB mod on the side of the unit, because whenever you add that TG-16 unit to a CD system and the docking station, you need the RGB output on the side, so you'll get RGB from the CD games too. So, you send it off, and get it RGB modded on the side. Now you can play American TG-16 Hu cards in RGB. But what about Japanese Hu cards? Ok, so now you ship out your TG-16 again, and you get it region modded, with a button on the front. This way, you can play both Japanese and American Hu cards. Now, it's time for some CD action. So you add a CD unit, and a docking station, and the incredibly expensive AC Adapter that powers the docking station. The famous HES-ACA-02. So now, you can actually play US Hu cards, Japanese Hu cards, as well as US CD's and Japanese CD's in beautiful RGB. But wait.... What about Super CD's, and even Arcade CD's? So, the only way you can play Arcade CD's, is with an Arcade Card Pro. So I had to search for one of those. A complete one, is a pricey son-of-a-bitch on Ebay, but I got one. Now, all I have to do is pop in the Arcade Card Pro Hu card, push the button in for Japanese, and Voila!, I'm playing Sapphire on Arcade CD in glorious RGB!  So, that's basically what this package is all about. If you're a turbo lover, and you want to experience everything that the Turbo has to offer (short of SuperGrafx Hu cards), then you can't get a better package than this, and best of all, this package allows you to enjoy your games in the crystal clarity that only RGB can provide. I mean, let's face it... if you're going to spend the big bucks on TG-16 stuff, and all the rare Super CD's and all that crap, you might as well go the full 9 yards, and experience it all with the best color and detail imaginable. There is nothing on this planet like playing Dracula X on a top of the line Sony PVM RGB monitor :)

Here is the RGB mod on the side of the TG-16 unit. Apparently, nobody is doing RGB mods on TG-16's or Duo's anymore. At least that's what another DP member told me. I guess if you want to see Turbo Love in RGB, your options are limited.

Here is the button for the Region Mod. Cost a pretty penny, but well worth it. You push the button in to use Japanese Hu cards, and push the button out for USA Hu cards. Pretty simple.

Here is a picture of the total package. I'm also including a Super CD game. F1 Team Simulation Project F. It's a R3 game, and is complete and mint.

Here is another picture of the package.

Ok, now, in regards to pricing. I'm basically just trying to get the same amount of money that I paid for everything. The problem is, everything was expensive as f*ck in the beginning. All these pieces were bought individually, and I had to pay shipping on all of them. When I got the RGB mod, I had to ship my TG-16 out, and then ship it back. When I got the region mod, the same thing. I had to pay shipping from Japan to get the Arcade Card Pro. So, everything was pretty damn pricey. The freaking AC Adapter was probably the most difficult thing to actually find. I had to buy a whole other TG-16 CD package, just to get the damn thing. Not to long ago, I saw a HES-ACA-02 sell for about $55 on Ebay. Just for a freaking power adapter! Anyways, here is how the pricing breaks down:

Turbografx-16 unit (paid $25 shipped)
Docking Station for CD unit and base unit (paid $40 shipped)
CD unit (paid $65 shipped)
HES-ACA-02 power adapter (paid $35 shipped)
RGB mod for base unit (paid $65, including shipping to and fro)
Region Mod for base unit (paid $55, including shipping to and fro)
Arcade Card Pro complete (paid $55 shipped from Japan)
F1 Team Simulation ProjectF  - complete - R3 - (paid $15 shipped)
Shipping of this package to anywhere in the lower 48 states plus insurance - $30
Extra fee for personal heartache and suffering because I won't have this anymore - $15

Total = $400

So the total is 400 smackers. I actually paid $355 for all this stuff originally, when all the various shipping costs are factored in. Shipping is $30, but it will include insurance for $400, and it will be packed like it's going to land on the moon. The extra $15 is just for my personal heartache. Basically, it's going to take $400 to pry this from my cold dead hands
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 05:47:28 PM by Anthony1 »

SignOfZeta

Re: My Ultimate TurboGrafx-16 CD package up for Grabs - Play Dracula X in RGB!
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 01:35:29 PM »
I think you are going to need another way to come up with $400 you need.

nat

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 03:00:42 PM »
Yeah, no kidding.

You can get a TG-CD console complete for like $100, and that wouldn't even be a "great" deal. An Arcade Card Pro might be $50 on a bad day or from game_squad's eBay store. I think I paid $35 or something for mine.

Those mods surely aren't worth another $250....

It's always nice to make your money back on something like this, but you need to be realistic.

Anthony1

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 04:58:22 PM »
Yeah, no kidding.

You can get a TG-CD console complete for like $100, and that wouldn't even be a "great" deal. An Arcade Card Pro might be $50 on a bad day or from game_squad's eBay store. I think I paid $35 or something for mine.

It's always nice to make your money back on something like this, but you need to be realistic.

You can get a complete TG-16 CD package for $100? Where?

Check this out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280140690007

I sold that a little while back. That was my backup system, in case my primary system had a problem. Of course, it didn't have a RGB mod, or a region mod, or an Arcade Card Pro or even a System 3.0 card, or even the expensive as f*ck adapter needed to power the docking station combo, and I got a total of $125 for it. The guy that bought it, had to pay another $25 to get a radio shack Adapter to simply power the thing, and also needed to pay more to get a System 3.0 card to play Super CD's. Also, that TG-16 CD unit couldn't stand games on CD-R for some reason. It played retail games just fine, but would only play 1 out of 10 CD-R games for some weird reason.

If I could get a complete TG-16 CD setup, and it actually had the AC Adapter needed to power the combo, and a System 3.0 card, for $100, then that would be a freaking dream come true. I had no idea that prices had fallen that much in just a month.

Still, regarding this package I'm selling, I could easily get $300 for this. But I'm trying to get back what I spent on it. I think you are dramatically underestimating how hard it is to get somebody to do a RGB mod on a TG-16, so that it will play both Hu cards and CD games in RGB. I know there are people out there that mod Duo's for RGB, but many Duo's don't like backups, and if you want to play games like Sapphire and Dracula X in RGB, and you're not made of money, then this is the better way to go. Also, I've heard that many of the people out there that used to mod TG-16 related systems for RGB, have retired, or are only doing S-Video mods. S-Video is nice and all, but once you've seen Dracula X in RGB on a top of the line Sony PVM monitor, there is no going back.

$400 is definitely high, but it's like I'm selling my first born child. I'm not going to part with it for any old measly amount of money. Either I'm getting top dollar for it, or I'll just hold onto it. If nobody wants to buy it for what I'm asking, that's perfectly fine.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 05:03:55 PM by Anthony1 »

SignOfZeta

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2007, 05:30:02 PM »
You are right about most of that stuff. However the TG-16+CD combo is basically the stupidest system to buy if you want to play these games. Starting with a Duo R is so much more logical, and those are like $120, maybe. Add an Arcade Card Duo for $30, and skip the region switch entirely because US releases are pretty much pointless. If you already have a US HuCard collection its probably cheaper to just buy a TG-16 to play them on than it is the mod a system. That would easily leave you with $200 left over, much more than an RGB mod would cost.

That's the frugal way to go, anyway. I'm sure there are people with a poor enough cash-to-brains ratio to buy your set-up for $400, I just think its crazy to try to charge people for shipping the system to the same hacker twice, or making a big deal out of having the original power supply (which is probably on death's door anyway), things like that.

Its not that it isn't worth $400 exactly, its just that if one really just wants to play Dracula X in RGB they could do it for less than that, even with a legit copy of the game, and personally I think the TG-16+CD is a really huge awkward, and and ugly set-up compared to the cheaper, more plentiful, and much nicer looking Japanese consoles.

nat

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2007, 05:36:46 PM »
Yeah, no kidding.

You can get a complete TG-16 CD package for $100? Where?

Here or the Turbo List, primarily. Most people seriously into NEC gaming are conscious of the inflated prices on eBay and thus generally avoid it like the plague, except as a last resort. A great number (most?) of Turbo items on eBay are ridiculously overpriced and do not portray an accurate market value. The sad thing is that a vast majority of people now consider these overpriced items posted on eBay by sellers trying to gouge as an accurate assessment of value.

Case in point, there is currently a seller on eBay selling a copy of the Japanese version of Bonk 3 for $199.99. That is out of this world ridiculous considering that game is no rarer than any other Japanese HuCard. A fair price for that particular item is probably close to $20. What makes this even sadder is that someone will actually eventually buy it.

Occasionally a good deal will spring up on eBay but that tends to be the exception rather than the rule, anymore.

Check this out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280140690007

I sold that a little while back. That was my backup system, in case my primary system had a problem. Of course, it didn't have a RGB mod, or a region mod, or an Arcade Card Pro or even a System 3.0 card, or even the expensive as f*ck adapter needed to power the docking station combo, and I got a total of $125 for it.

That page says the auction ended at $99.99, which is right in line with the $100 figure I quoted earlier, so.... I'm not sure what your point is here other than to prove my point?  :lol:

It should be noted, however, that including that carrying case as you did tends to drive up the value a bit. In my earlier assessment of "complete TG-CD" I wasn't considering the carrying case, only the console hardware and peripherals.

The guy that bought it, had to pay another $25 to get a radio shack Adapter to simply power the thing,

Well, that was his bad. That $99.99 should've included an AC adapter, generic or otherwise. Still-- $125 isn't out of this world expensive, but I definitely wouldn't pay any more than that. By that point, for (literally) a couple bucks more you could get a Duo instead.

and also needed to pay more to get a System 3.0 card to play Super CD's.

Well, duh! By "complete TG-CD" I meant just that-- the TG-CD originally shipped with the 2.0 card.

Also, that TG-16 CD unit couldn't stand games on CD-R for some reason. It played retail games just fine, but would only play 1 out of 10 CD-R games for some weird reason.

That is a common issue with these decks and really can't be used as something to depreciate their value.

If I could get a complete TG-16 CD setup, and it actually had the AC Adapter needed to power the combo, and a System 3.0 card, for $100, then that would be a freaking dream come true. I had no idea that prices had fallen that much in just a month.

Again, probably not with a 3.0 card... But 2.0 card, sure.

Still, regarding this package I'm selling, I could easily get $300 for this. But I'm trying to get back what I spent on it. I think you are dramatically underestimating how hard it is to get somebody to do a RGB mod on a TG-16, so that it will play both Hu cards and CD games in RGB. I know there are people out there that mod Duo's for RGB, but many Duo's don't like backups, and if you want to play games like Sapphire and Dracula X in RGB, and you're not made of money, then this is the better way to go. Also, I've heard that many of the people out there that used to mod TG-16 related systems for RGB, have retired, or are only doing S-Video mods. S-Video is nice and all, but once you've seen Dracula X in RGB on a top of the line Sony PVM monitor, there is no going back.

$400 is definitely high, but it's like I'm selling my first born child. I'm not going to part with it for any old measly amount of money. Either I'm getting top dollar for it, or I'll just hold onto it. If nobody wants to buy it for what I'm asking, that's perfectly fine.

All I can say is good luck!

You will probably not find any buyers on these forums because of points I mentioned earlier... But should you decide put it up on eBay for that price I'm sure you'd get a less knowledgeable buyer eventually.

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2007, 06:41:25 PM »
Sorry man,they are right. TG-16 with CD add on typically only runs you around $100. Sometimes auctions will go for more,but they include games too. Your asking price is too much,it wont fly here,or on ebay at that price.

If you don't believe us check completed auctions,your deck was not the only one sold as of late.

The RGB mod is easy to do on a TG-16,and the info to do so is public knowledge.

Either way,drop the price if you want a sell. Good luck.

Kitsunexus

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2007, 07:03:50 PM »
Forget the Turbo for a second, you need to learn how to format a goddamn post to where it's easy to read. A four hundred word paragraph is what I would deem as "not easy on the eyes".

And for $400, I better be able to stick my dick in that thing and become satisfied.

Turbo D

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2007, 07:25:59 PM »
I better be able to stick my dick in that thing and become satisfied.
rofl rofl  :lol:

Anthony1

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2007, 07:57:39 PM »
The only person that is going to buy this for $400, is somebody who understands just how difficult doing a RGB mod on the side of a TG-16 is. I'm not talking about any ordinary RGB mod, that will allow you to view Hu cards in RGB. I'm talking about one, that will allow you to view both Hu cards and CD's in RGB, even when connected to the docking station. If you think this is so easy, then please, by all means, do it yourself, and enjoy the beauty that RGB output provides. Of course, chances are high, that you don't know how to do it. The only guy I know that knows how to do it, is the guy that actually did it. Matthew Ross. Unfortunately, Matthew has retired from the modding scene, and is off to bigger and better things. The only other guy I know that might be able to pull it off, is D-Lite, and unless I'm mistaken, D-Lite has never done this particular mod. His specialty is with Duo's. Again, for people that don't want to pay ridiculous prices for all the rare Super CD's and Arcade Cd's, you need a unit that will play backups without issue. Unfortunately, it seems that many Duo's don't seem to like backups very much. There are a few that do, but most don't. Some will play certain backups, but not others. It's quite strange really. But TG-16 with the add on units seem to play backups very well. At least most of them do. I did have one that didn't like backups at all, it was the previous one that I sold above. But the one that I have, plays backups flawlessly, all of them. Again, I know some people hate the very mention of backups, but there are others that have no problem with that, and they are strickly gamers, and not collectors, and they just want to play the damn game. And they want to experience it in glorious RGB. Now, certainly, the number of people walking around planet Earth that fit into that category is slim, but I'm sure there are a few people out there that fit this description. For those people, this is an ideal solution, because unless they can travel the ends of the earth searching for Matthew Ross, and pulling him out of retirement, then I don't know who the hell they are going to get to do this mod.

You say the mod is public knowledge, and so is building a nuclear bomb, but just because something is public knowledge, doesn't mean everyone has the skills necessary or can find somebody with the skills necessary. Now, if you have no interest whatsoever in playing backups, and you are only interested in the real deal, then sure, go ahead and buy a Duo, and find somebody that can do a RGB mod on a Duo. There are people out there that can, if you look hard enough. But if you want to play backups in RGB, this is the better option, cause I've known people that have gone through 4 and 5 duo's looking for one that will consistently load backups, and I didn't want to deal with that mess.

Also, the TG-16 CD combo doesn't look bad at all, in fact it looks pretty cool when it is all combined and snapped together. Of course, it's personal preference.

Sure, if somebody really wanted to go the 9 yards, and turn over every stone, and work diligently at getting this exact kind of setup, they might be able to save $150 off what I'm charging, but the key word is might. This might be falling on deaf ears, because again, if you haven't played the best super cd's in all their RGB glory, then of course you would think I'm absolutely out of my mind to be asking for such money. Anyone that isn't a hardcore RGB fanatic should totally avoid this package like the plague. It's definitely way overpriced for any non-RGB enthusiast. Hardcore RGB enthusiasts that have done reasearch on getting their TG-16 RGB modded on the side for both Hu cards and CD's, will understand where I'm coming from. Even then, those people might think I'm charging about $50 too much, but hey, a man can charge what he wants, and if nobody wants to buy, then he will quickly discover that he is charging way to much, and he will either adjust his price accordingly, or maybe he will decide that he would rather just keep his prized possession than sell it below what he "perceives" the value to be.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2007, 12:20:48 AM »
I could easily do an RGB mod on a TG-16, Duo, or otherwise. What I can't afford right now its any sort of display with RGB inputs that will synch with an NTSC refresh rate, or an XRGBII. That's the hard part.

Even if the TG-16 RGB mod "on the side" (like fries) is so hard (and I'm not sure why it would be, the signal is pulled off the same chip in any NEC system) then that's just one more reason to buy a Duo in the first pace and avoid the TG-16.

As for the Duo's not playing CD-Rs, that's just anecdotal/superstition. I've had two Duos, neither of which have had trouble with CD-Rs. If I'm not mistaken, the drive in any NEC system is the same. I could be wrong about that though.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2007, 12:22:13 AM »
Most people seriously into NEC gaming are conscious of the inflated prices on eBay and thus generally avoid it like the plague, except as a last resort.

Are you just talking about US releases? I ask because...I buy shit on eBay constantly, more than any other place, and I very rarely pay more that $20 for a game. Usually more like $8,
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 03:13:55 PM by SignOfZeta »

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2007, 01:42:10 AM »
http://www.gamesx.com/rgbadd/duorgb.php

There you go guy,see,not so hard,and def not worth $400. Also,more then just Dean do mods.

nat

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2007, 04:27:00 AM »
Most people seriously into NEC gaming are conscious of the inflated prices on eBay and thus generally avoid it like the plague, except as a last resort.

Are you just talking about US releases? I ask because...I buy shit on eBay constantly, more than any other place, and I very rarely pay more that $20 for a game. Usually more like $8,

US stuff primarily, yes.

Japanese stuff is more often reasonable priced but is still affected by the same ridiculous inflation. See my Bonk 3 example earlier.

Maybe I'm used to being spoiled-- I had a friend that lived in Tokyo and he would be shit for me from the streets of Akihabara and send it to me bulk. What you pay $8 for on eBay I paid $1 for. Last year I got a complete PC-FX and a complete SuperGrafx for just over $100, total.

Personally, I avoid eBay except as a last resort. If you're willing to spend a little time, reasonable deals are out there. I'm not looking to go broke over my hobby so I'm willing to put in the time needed to find a good deal.

I'm not saying it's impossible to find a decent deal on eBay, but you can't ignore the gouging that runs rampant. Usually the only good deals I find on eBay are auctions that fly under the radar where bidding ends lower than it normally would.

Why pay $8 for a game I could get for half that or even less? Then I could buy TWO games for the same price. :) But it all really comes down to how you value your time & money, I guess.

As for the Duo's not playing CD-Rs, that's just anecdotal/superstition. I've had two Duos, neither of which have had trouble with CD-Rs. If I'm not mistaken, the drive in any NEC system is the same. I could be wrong about that though.

No, the TG-CD decks use a different laser than the Duos.

Anyone that isn't a hardcore RGB fanatic should totally avoid this package like the plague. It's definitely way overpriced for any non-RGB enthusiast. Hardcore RGB enthusiasts that have done reasearch on getting their TG-16 RGB modded on the side for both Hu cards and CD's, will understand where I'm coming from. Even then, those people might think I'm charging about $50 too much, but hey, a man can charge what he wants, and if nobody wants to buy, then he will quickly discover that he is charging way to much, and he will either adjust his price accordingly, or maybe he will decide that he would rather just keep his prized possession than sell it below what he "perceives" the value to be.

Unfortunately for us, the dollar value we attachment to our sentimental items doesn't necessarily translate well into what someone else is willing to pay.  :|

« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 04:36:17 AM by nat »

Kitsunexus

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2007, 08:29:24 AM »
LOL GUYZ IM SELLING MY MODDED PIKACHU N64 THAT COMES WITH SUPER MARIO 64 FOR ONLY $700! IT'S A STEAL AT THAT PRICE BECAUSE IT HAS THE EXPANDED 4MB MEMORY CART! HAVE YOU EVER TRIED TO PUT THAT THING IN? YOU HAVE TO HAVE THE JAWS OF LIFE TO PULL THE OLD ONE OUT AND IF YOU DONT PUT THE NEW ONE IN RIGHT IT WONT WORK! SO THAT'S EASILY $200 RIGHT THERE, FOLKS.

I ALSO TOOK OUT ALL THE SCREWS AND TAPED IT TOGETHER WITH DUCT-TAPE! ANYBODY WHO ISN'T A HARDCORE DUCT-TAPE ENTHUSIAST SHOULD AVOID THIS LIKE THE PLAGUE, OR HERPES. IF YOU DON'T BUY THIS I'M JUST GONNA KEEP IT, K?

ALSO IF YOU ORDER BY THURSDAY I WILL THROW IN A FREE DVD OF "LISA'S POPCORN PARTY".