Author Topic: My Ultimate TurboGrafx-16 CD package up for Grabs - Now $100 cheaper!  (Read 1864 times)

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: My Ultimate TurboGrafx-16 CD package up for Grabs - Play Dracula X in RGB!
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2007, 08:34:21 AM »
Did you use some cool blue or yellow colored duct tape to match?  If not, then it's only worth $600 to $650 tops.  :lol:
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Keranu

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2007, 08:59:56 AM »
ALSO IF YOU ORDER BY THURSDAY I WILL THROW IN A FREE DVD OF "LISA'S POPCORN PARTY".
SWEET! I'M GETTING IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2007, 09:06:06 AM »
I don't know,I have never once seen one duct taped together in my life,that means this is probably more rare then even the ultra rare TG-16 on this thread with its very hard near impossible to do RGB mod. Even if Matthew Ross left the scene. I mean,what if Kitsunexus leaves,then we wont have anyone left who can do duct tape mods either....

On a  more serious note:
Anthony1,I bet you prob wish now you didn't even bother wasting the time to join now that you realize you wont get any suckers here to buy your warez. You will find that there are plenty of modders here and on the Neo forums that can do the RGB mod,and use more then just a db15 port.Also,the s-video mod is just about as good,RGB isn't light years ahead in clarity on that system and not many people even use old normal c64 like RGB monitors or anything along those lines. Seriously,you should have checked our mod threads here before assuming we are all a incapable bunch of tools. Yea not everyone here does system mods,but there are enough here and there to go around.

Anthony1

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2007, 01:23:54 PM »
So, I guess it's native custom on these boards to shit on other peoples buying and selling threads? Seriously. Ok, so you all think this is way overpriced. That's perfectly fine. I've clicked on many selling threads and thought the person was overcharging ridiculously for an item. That doesn't mean I click on the reply or quote button and shit on the guy's thread.

My second issue, is that everybody seems to claim this mod is so fricking easy. If it was really this easy, there would be other packages available that does exactly what my package does. Please, pretty, pretty please, find me a link, to somebody selling a TG-16 package, here, on neo-geo.com, or any other board, that is more than $100 cheaper than this package "shipped", and I'll eat crow. BUT REMEMBER, I'm talking about matching my package feature for feature. So their package would have to do this:

Allow you to play both USA and Japanese HU cards in RGB on the same device (not hooking up two seperate devices)
Allow you to play regular CD's, Super CD's and arcade CD's in the exact same device in RGB as well
Plays all backups FLAWLESSLY, not sometimes, not most of the time, not every once in awhile, but FLAWLESSLY (cause most likely, you're going to show me a region modded Duo with a RGB mod, that may or may not play backups consistently, cause like I said before, I've known people that went thru 4 and 5 duo's before finding one that would play backups "CONSISTENTLY".) The key word is consistently.

See, the thing is, I've already been offered $300 shipped for this. But that would mean that I was selling it for $270, and then paying $30 to ship it. And for me, I'd rather keep it, than sell it for $270. So I declined the offer. The person that made the offer, obviously understood what I'm talking about from a RGB and backup playing standpoint, and this person wanted a way to play Arcade CD's and Japanese Hu cards in RGB, in one device, without having to have a seperate Core Grafx or anything else. You might think I'm crazy to turn down an offer for $300 shipped, but it didn't even cross my mind to consider accepting it.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 01:32:42 PM by Anthony1 »

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2007, 01:34:01 PM »
Who was this person.....and for that matter,if they are real they even kinda prove our point,they only offered 3/4 your asking price,and as for the total package goes,most of the people around here just buy the base unit and send it to someone to do the mod,or they do it themselves. Its cheaper this way,esp to get the more reliable Duo-R and have the mod done to it. And yea,its pretty custom if the seller jumps aboard,makes this his only posting thread,and acts like no one can do the mod and hes got solid f*cking gold in his hands. Also,Dean is continuing to do the switchless region mod,which looks worlds better as it is hidden. In other words your not offering much here.
http://www.multimods.com/modsales.html
I am pretty sure Dean is still doing all this,and the RGB mod is easier/cheaper then the s-video one.
 And ......

Edit:
Also,btw I see your not actually including the RGB cable used. Nor have you mentioned the pin out of the DB15 there so someone can make their own cable for it if by chance they got suckered into buying it. Not every RGB input or cable is the same so having the pin out really helps. And the breakdown you did seemed kinda odd,its not that hard to get a complete TG-16 cd deck,you portray it all as being hard,having to buy it all in parts here and there.If this is really what you did then you blew your own money and time. And yea,arcade card pros can fetch a tad,but if you shop around you can get a deal,esp from Toshi. Also it would be nice to see this running on your top of the line Sony PVM RGB monitor. Please provide pics? :)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 02:14:27 PM by Michael Helgeson »

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2007, 02:17:08 PM »
I totally dig how this guy says back up,he totally reeks of cheapskate cd-r player.

Black Tiger

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2007, 02:17:23 PM »
My second issue, is that everybody seems to claim this mod is so fricking easy. If it was really this easy, there would be other packages available that does exactly what my package does. Please, pretty, pretty please, find me a link, to somebody selling a TG-16 package, here, on neo-geo.com, or any other board, that is more than $100 cheaper than this package "shipped", and I'll eat crow. BUT REMEMBER, I'm talking about matching my package feature for feature. So their package would have to do this:

Allow you to play both USA and Japanese HU cards in RGB on the same device (not hooking up two seperate devices)
Allow you to play regular CD's, Super CD's and arcade CD's in the exact same device in RGB as well
Plays all backups FLAWLESSLY, not sometimes, not most of the time, not every once in awhile, but FLAWLESSLY (cause most likely, you're going to show me a region modded Duo with a RGB mod, that may or may not play backups consistently, cause like I said before, I've known people that went thru 4 and 5 duo's before finding one that would play backups "CONSISTENTLY".) The key word is consistently.

See, the thing is, I've already been offered $300 shipped for this. But that would mean that I was selling it for $270, and then paying $30 to ship it. And for me, I'd rather keep it, than sell it for $270. So I declined the offer. The person that made the offer, obviously understood what I'm talking about from a RGB and backup playing standpoint, and this person wanted a way to play Arcade CD's and Japanese Hu cards in RGB, in one device, without having to have a seperate Core Grafx or anything else. You might think I'm crazy to turn down an offer for $300 shipped, but it didn't even cross my mind to consider accepting it.

Unfortunately, an RGB mod is mainly only of use to Europeans and anyone wanting to take advantage of it in North America would have to spend more money on a transcoder and cables. S-Video and soon Component mods are much more sought after and therefore more valuable to most PC Engine players.

Here's D-Lite's recent modded system thread. I think that most of the Duo packages have already sold though. His Duo-R's with Blue LED, Region, S-Video, Composite & Stereo mods are $275 shipped. It may not be the same feature for feature, in that he's not selling Turbo CD-ROMs, but Turbo CD combos are actually less sought after than Duo's and are more of a collectible than a practical gaming setup.

Some old Duos can have problems with CDRs, same with Turbo & PCE CD-ROM combos. It depends on how used the unit's laser is and replacements are now available cheap and can be installed by modding noobs like myself.

Its also unfortunate that people started negatively commenting on your sale thread. If everyone here really knows what your package is really worth, then there was no reason to 'warn' people about it. If I had caught this thread sooner and had wanted to give you an idea of what I think its really worth, I would've PM'd you about it.

Either way I understand only considering parting with a prized possesion at a price point that makes it worthwhile to you.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2007, 02:30:47 PM »
And if you want peoples respect,don't join  a board just to make a quick sell. Your a unknown. Also don't assume that people there can't do mods,esp me,Gutts,Joe I think,and others here,alot of us can,even your RGB mod which is actually one of the easiest ones to do. If you would have taken time to join the community first and learn about us here you would have realized this. We have a entire area dedicated to mods and repairs here:
https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?board=19.0

Turbo D

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2007, 03:15:24 PM »
He would have also  saved money  :wink:

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2007, 03:25:47 PM »
So true.Well,he posted this on the Neo forums too,offering to include "free" bootleg of Dracula X it seems. Very interesting....
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 03:28:05 PM by Michael Helgeson »

Anthony1

« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2007, 04:58:15 PM »

Also,btw I see your not actually including the RGB cable used. Nor have you mentioned the pin out of the DB15 there so someone can make their own cable for it if by chance they got suckered into buying it. Not every RGB input or cable is the same so having the pin out really helps.  Also it would be nice to see this running on your top of the line Sony PVM RGB monitor. Please provide pics? :)

Regarding, the RGB cable, that would all be worked out with the buyer. If somebody is coughing up 400 smackers, it's not like I'm going to leave them in the lurch. The cable that I would include, would depend on how they are going to be using it. Would they be primarily using it with a XRGB2+, or a Sony PVM 25 pin, or a Sony PVM 4 BNC connector, or a Commodore 1084, etc, etc. Basically, I would work with the new owner, to make sure they would get the full effect of the RGB out. No way should that output be wasted. That picture up there is the 3rd level of Bonk's Adventure on my Sony PVM-1953MD. Also, somebody mentioned that you need to be in Europe to enjoy RGB, but that's just not true. You simply have to track down a monitor that can sync with the right frequency. Many Sony PVM's, Commodore monitors, a few NEC Multisyncs, Mitsubishi Megaviews, etc, etc can sync with it, and would look excellent. Also, of course, the XRGB2+. I wish I still had the pic of Dracula X running on my projector via the XRGB2+. It was like Dracula X on a 112 inch screen. It was pretty sick, but unfortunately, I think I deleted that pic.

By the way, if anybody is looking for a RGB monitor, and is anywhere near Sacramento, California, then I'm going to be selling a few of them pretty soon. I have 3 different Sony PVM's that I'm going to be selling, including my PVM-1953MD, which looks absolutely sick with both the Turbo in RGB, and the Neo-Geo. Unfortunately, all those damn monitors are way too heavy to ship anywhere, so I'm going to have to sell them locally to someone in the general area. Maybe I'll even drive them up to the Bay Area (San Fran).

So true.Well,he posted this on the Neo forums too,offering to include "free" bootleg of Dracula X it seems. Very interesting....

One thing about backups. Each website has their own take on whether backups should be discussed or not. I normally primarily post at this one site that doesn't allow any talk about backups whatsoever (in the Selling forum). I'm not sure what pcenginefx.com's policy is on that. But basically, I would never actually sell a backup. Personally, I think it's very bush league to sell backups. But if the person that buys this isn't anti-backups, I could definitely throw some in free, just for convienence sake. Pretty much every game ever made is available for download somewhere on the internet, but it's not always easy to find certain obscure backups to various PC Engine CD and Super CD games.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 05:07:19 PM by Anthony1 »

Turbo D

« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2007, 05:40:54 PM »
Just for the record, my US duo has always played backups flawlessly. I even burn them at 40x. Ya, if thats not impressive enough, It even plays homebrew games burned on cdr.  8)

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2007, 05:50:19 PM »
Actually what Black Tiger said was:

Unfortunately, an RGB mod is mainly only of use to Europeans and anyone wanting to take advantage of it in North America would have to spend more money on a transcoder and cables. S-Video and soon Component mods are much more sought after and therefore more valuable to most PC Engine players.

In other words unless you already have all the gear including the RGB monitor,its not very helpful from a financial point of view. The s-video mod is however,almost everyone has a s-video capable tv,and its very close to RGB. The RGB mod is cheap to do,esp compared to the S-video mod if you do have the proper monitor already.

Anthony1

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2007, 06:24:02 PM »
Actually what Black Tiger said was:

In other words unless you already have all the gear including the RGB monitor,its not very helpful from a financial point of view. The s-video mod is however,almost everyone has a s-video capable tv,and its very close to RGB. The RGB mod is cheap to do,esp compared to the S-video mod if you do have the proper monitor already.

I hear ya, but I still think that if you're hardcore, and you really want to enjoy the world of Turbo to the fullest extent, then you gotta go RGB, but that's just me. Once you get used to the native analog RGB display of these classic systems, anything less, isn't as fufilling. But that's just me. Also, different systems, having varying degrees of improvement with RGB output. The Nintendo 64's RGB output, is easilty the most dissapointing. Maybe Sega Master System coming in, as the second most dissapointing. On the complete opposite side of the spectrum is the TurboGrafx. It easily gets the biggest boost from RGB of any system I've ever seen in native RGB. The Turbo could just throw so many damn colors on screen at one time, and had a pretty good palette of colors to choose from. Look at that Bonk's Adventure pic above. As impressive as that pic might seem, it's a joke compared to seeing it in person. It's not even close. In person, it absolutely blows you away. I had a S-Video modded Genesis, and that did look pretty good. I would play Genny games and Sega CD games in S-Video, and it was pretty convienent. But RGB was still vastly superior.

It's funny, many people nowadays assume that component would be better than RGB, but they don't realize that RGB actually is superior to component. (With non-progressive scan systems, anyways) RGB has the full bandwidth, component doesn't. Sure they are pretty close, but if you're looking for the ultimate in visual quality, you can't beat RGB. It's the reason XRGB2's and XRGB3's are so freaking expensive. Cause once people see that shit in person, that's all they want.

Kitsunexus

« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2007, 06:49:28 PM »
The Nintendo 64's RGB output, is easilty the most dissapointing.

OH YEAH SCREW YOU AND YOUR RGB, I HAVE DUCT-TAPE POWERS!  :P  :wink: