Author Topic: BIN Turbo Duo on Ebay (curious)  (Read 577 times)

SignOfZeta

Re: BIN Turbo Duo on Ebay (curious)
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2007, 11:56:21 AM »
I'm beating the drum again...

Ow! My ears!!  :P

Well, now I'm not so sure again. hehe. I don't know. I think now that I have a North American Duo I'm not so sure I should go through the hassle of selling it, then having to pay shipping for a Duo R and a TG 16.

I'll probably just end up modding my North American Duo. But I have been known to change my mind. hehe  :|

Oh, whoops, I sort of skimmed over your post not getting that part about you already having a US Duo. Disregard my drum beating.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2007, 12:02:13 PM »
I'm pretty sure Japan is 100VAC, not 110. It doesn't matter though, really.

The only part that will matter will be the power supply, which is external on these systems and can just be replaced with a US one, or whatever region you live in. The only piece of electronics I've seen that couldn't cope with US voltage specs is an original PS a guy I knew bought at the Japanese launch. It would overheat really badly. You had to open the door, tape the button down, and blow a fan on it to keep the thing from glitching out. In hindsight this probably had less to do with voltage differences and more to do with the fact that the PS is a POS.

ceti alpha

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2007, 04:46:49 PM »
In hindsight this probably had less to do with voltage differences and more to do with the fact that the PS is a POS.

LMFAO!! Funny cus it's true.  :mrgreen:

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

Turbo D

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2007, 05:52:11 PM »
My white pcengine has been working in the US on a Japanese psu for about 2 or 3 years since I got it and has no problems. It has had lots of use as you can imagine  :D

nat

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2007, 06:12:48 PM »
FWIW, my PC-FX and SuperGrafx have never given me issues either.

Paisa49

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2007, 05:15:06 AM »
Yeah, I'd say that $140 is about the going rate for a Duo-R, though you might get one a little lower here or on the Turbo List.  It's true that Japanese adapters are meant to fed 110 volts, but 120 volts in the US isn't enough to really matter (just more heat, but your mileage may vary).

I thought the Turbo List died out a while back. I may be interested in purchasing a Duo-R, as long as the price is within my budget. I still have my Turbo Grafx 16 and Turbo Express, but I have yet to play any of the multitude of CD-based games that came out for the Duo.

nat

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2007, 05:21:12 AM »
Yeah, I'd say that $140 is about the going rate for a Duo-R, though you might get one a little lower here or on the Turbo List.  It's true that Japanese adapters are meant to fed 110 volts, but 120 volts in the US isn't enough to really matter (just more heat, but your mileage may vary).

I thought the Turbo List died out a while back.

No, sir. They just moved servers.

turbo.mindrec.com

Paisa49

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2007, 06:47:29 AM »
Thanks.

I read through some of the instructions, and it seems like the mods are good about keeping emails to a minimum. What have your experiences on the list been like? About how many emails do you average per day from the list?

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2007, 06:58:35 AM »
The average is less than one.  I'll go for many days without getting any and then some topic will initiate a 'flurry' of four or five.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

nat

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2007, 07:13:35 AM »
Necromancer is right. There are many members, but it is a quiet list.

HOWEVER, it is a great place to score deals on Turbo/PCE gear. You get more of a "real world" price on things there (and here) than you do on eBay.

I've been a member of the list since 1996 or so and my experiences have always been good. I bought my first TurboExpress from a TurboList member around 96/97.