Author Topic: BIN Turbo Duo on Ebay (curious)  (Read 579 times)

ceti alpha

BIN Turbo Duo on Ebay (curious)
« on: September 17, 2007, 08:52:12 AM »
http://cgi.ebay.ca/TURBO-DUO-Super-CD-Rom-TURBO-GRAFX-System-Complete_W0QQitemZ180159805709QQihZ008QQcategoryZ62054QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'm not exactly sure if this thread belongs in this forum as I'm not specifically selling or looking at this item, but I thought since it is about pricing.... So, let me apologize Keranu in advanced.  :)

I was just wondering if this is a good deal, or overpriced. It's well over $200 for what I paid for mine. I paid less than this even after buying a bunch of games. So I was just wondering if I just happened to get a good deal or this is way over priced or both. hehe.  My Duo is in pretty much the same shape, except for my TurboPad has a broken turbo switch. I have to use a pencil end to move it up or down because the little knob is broken off. No biggie, but I will have to get some more controllers. Gotta get some multiplayer Dungeon Explorer and Bomberman action going.  :dance:

So yeah, I was just curious.

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

Keranu

Re: BIN Turbo Duo on Ebay (curious)
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 08:58:23 AM »
Nah it's ok to post that kind of stuff here.

In my opinion, that auction is a rip-off, though I'm not completely sure how much Turbo Duos sell for these days. It includes Gate of Thunder, which seems to have gone up in price recently, as well as Ys Book I & II, which can go a little high sometimes, so I can see how that makes the auction go for more, but I really don't think $400 is a fair price at all for that, especially since the system isn't complete. I could maybe understand $300, but even that seems a little high.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 09:43:43 AM »
Word - that's pretty high.  Of course, it does come with the über rare World Class Baseball - Major League Baseball edition.  :lol:
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

nat

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 02:32:21 PM »
That's a bigger ripoff than the guy selling his RGB modded TG-CD deck in the other thread.

This is also a prime example of the kind of thing that sickens me about eBay and why I avoid it like the plague.

FWIW, I bought a US TurboDuo recently for $140 and I think that's a pretty fair deal. Those games aren't worth an additional $260 no matter what way you spin it.

ceti alpha

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 02:44:04 PM »
FWIW, I bought a US TurboDuo recently for $140 and I think that's a pretty fair deal. Those games aren't worth an additional $260 no matter what way you spin it.

Yeah, that's a good deal. I paid $175 for mine. It also came with the original box and Styrofoam, which wasn't essential for me, but probably brought the price up somewhat. It didn't come with any games, but it's in really good shape.

Now I'm starting to wonder if I should have bought a Duo-R and gotten it modded...

I've read a couple times here that the Duo-R is more reliable. Is that true or is it just a preference thing? I'd like to get my Turbo Duo modded, but I won't if the Duo-R is that much better.

Oh, and speaking of ridiculous price gouging, here's another Ebay auction, but this time for a Duo-R:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Original-NEC-PC-ENGINE-DUO-R-cable-1-joypad-1-game_W0QQitemZ8219816860QQihZ020QQcategoryZ187QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

I'm mean that COME ON!!!  [-X  =;

Keranu

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 03:27:57 PM »
Yeah that last auction you linked to is nonsense to the max.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Kitsunexus

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 06:57:16 PM »
What is the advantage to getting a Duo-R over a Duo? I want to get into TG-16 (legit wise), and pretty much sussed out Duo's the way to go, but which one?

Turbo D

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007, 07:51:57 PM »
I'd say whichever you can get cheapest  :wink: the duo-r and rx are supposed to be more reliable than the original black duo and are pretty cool looking in shape. The difference between the r and rx is just a decal on the console and a six button controller. I got a US duo since all my games are US, well most of them are. I just use some hucard converter I got for cheap awhile back. Region modding is so cheap and easy these days, so that would be the way to go.

Kitsunexus

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2007, 07:57:14 PM »
Thanks for the advice. Yeah, I can't really read Japanese. Is it even worth it to region-mod in that case?

Turbo D

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2007, 08:28:32 PM »
I wouldn't worry about getting it region modded. Most good Japanese games (that aren't already on the us turbo) are on cd anyways and theres no region on those.

ceti alpha

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2007, 11:30:27 PM »
I wouldn't worry about getting it region modded. Most good Japanese games (that aren't already on the us turbo) are on cd anyways and theres no region on those.

Ahhh, cool. Thanks. Good to know.  :) But what about SF:CE?  :-k I guess I have to figure out if it's worth region modding for just a few games. lol

SignOfZeta

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2007, 11:58:14 PM »
I'm beating the drum again...

Avoid US hardware. Its too damn expensive and you need to mod it to play JP HuCards.

Just buy a Duo R, and if you have any US HuCards you need to play, get a TG-16 for $30 or whatever. You're easily under $200 all together there...probably could even get an Arcade Card Duo in there at that price.

There are fewer text-heavy, good, US HuCards than there are good Supergrafx games, IMO, so unless you have a collection, just skip them. If you do have a collection buy a US TG-16, or mod the Duo R.

ceti alpha

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2007, 12:32:40 AM »
I'm beating the drum again...

Ow! My ears!!  :P

Well, now I'm not so sure again. hehe. I don't know. I think now that I have a North American Duo I'm not so sure I should go through the hassle of selling it, then having to pay shipping for a Duo R and a TG 16.

I'll probably just end up modding my North American Duo. But I have been known to change my mind. hehe  :|

Paisa49

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2007, 09:44:25 AM »
I haven't really seen any Duo-R systems on Ebay for less than $140.00. I know Ebay's prices are inflated, but isn't that the going market rate now without the shipping? Also, if you live in North America, wouldn't the difference in voltage for the AC Adapter cause a problem since this is a Japanese system? Any info is appreciated, so thanks in advance.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2007, 10:10:59 AM »
Yeah, I'd say that $140 is about the going rate for a Duo-R, though you might get one a little lower here or on the Turbo List.  It's true that Japanese adapters are meant to fed 110 volts, but 120 volts in the US isn't enough to really matter (just more heat, but your mileage may vary).
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles