Author Topic: Huge TZD Sale!  (Read 1193 times)

SNKNostalgia

Re: Huge TZD Sale!
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2007, 03:50:06 AM »
I own Lords of Thunder but non of the other games on the site. Any suggestions on which is the best two titles listed?

nat

« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2007, 04:11:39 AM »
I've had a lot of enjoyment from Shape Shifter. Implode is some simple mindless fun, too. I hear Buster Bros. is also good, but I still haven't opened my copy yet.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2007, 04:17:53 AM »
It kinda depends on what type of game that you prefer, but I'd shoot for Forgotten Worlds and Shape Shifter.  F.W. is a better port than what the Genny got, but the goofy satellite aiming can be a real pain in the ass.  Shape Shifter isn't flawless (shitty controls), but can be quite rewarding and entertaining if given a chance.  If you'd rather get some simple, mindless games, pick up Implode, Meteor Blaster DX, or Buster Bros.  B.B. is great fun, especially with a second player.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

nat

« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2007, 04:21:44 AM »
I forgot about Forgotten Worlds (no pun intended).

FW is definitely a top-notch port of the Capcom classic. Lots of fun. Like Necromancer said, aiming the satellite is akward so I suggest having either a three-button controller or Turbo Stick available for playing the game. These will reduce the akwardness by a factor of 20.242.

rag-time4

« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2007, 07:35:06 AM »
As part of my order, I got both Shapeshifter and Shadow of the Beast... (both are 2d platformers)

If I only could recommend 1 of the 2 it would be Shapeshifter. There seems to be more to the game.. more people to talk to, more different kinds of attacks...

Shapeshifter has lots of nice voice acting.

nat

« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2007, 09:12:57 AM »

Shapeshifter has lots of nice voice acting.

It also has some really nice still visuals reminiscent of Beyond Shadowgate. No surprise considering the same people developed both games.

SNKNostalgia

« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2007, 09:35:31 AM »
Yeah, I was definitely thinking of Shape Shifter and maybe Forgotten Worlds. Problem is, I own the Capcom Classics Vol 1 with the arcade version. I may have spoiled myself with it.

nat

« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2007, 02:44:08 PM »
The Turbo version duplicates the arcade almost perfectly in the graphics department. I think you lose some multiplane scrolling here and there but the graphics themselves are virtually identical-- hard to find differences without side by side comparison.

nat

« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2007, 03:08:46 PM »
Did anyone else notice since TZD started this current sale that TurboExpress units are now gone from the catalog?

I guess they finally sold off the last of them. Gone for good! I hope that one member who was trying to get his mom to pay for one got it.

vestcoat

« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2007, 03:38:13 PM »
Did the US 2.0 CD card ever come with a case or insert?  Just wondering because the TZD one comes loose without so much as a sleeve.

MrFulci

« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2007, 04:27:24 PM »
The 2.0 card was packed with the TG-CD addition. There was no need to sell the 2.0 card seperate, as the Duo had the 3.0 card built-in. I'm sure the Turbo Grafx folks had spares stocked away in case someone lost their 2.0 card. That is probably why these are listed for sale.

No, never a case or insert.
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

vestcoat

« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2007, 05:32:03 PM »
No, never a case or insert.

Maybe we could talk Joe Redifer into into making an insert/cover.  He seems to have a knack for it...

You have your choice (these are smaller versions of the ones I did so they wouldn't kill anyone who looked at this thread):

This is the classic version.  It rocks hardcore and lets your friends and everyone else on the block know that you mean business.

:clap:

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2007, 06:03:26 PM »
"Snort Blo" - still makes me giggle.  Bravo, Joe!  :clap:
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

nat

« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2007, 07:08:23 PM »
I myself enjoy the actual screenshot which clearly shows the Turbo's technical superiority to systems such as the Playstation and Nintendo 64.

Keranu

« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2007, 07:27:05 PM »
Haha, the screenshot is great. Same shot they use in the Johnny Turbo comics!
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).